Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Egypt Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Protests in Egypt, president's family flees to UK

Unread postby Fishman » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 15:30:26

More likely a military take over. Lets see, another dictator or a taliban group?
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 15:42:14

A military junta replacing a police state, viva la change!
It's likely to be a transition stage government , rather than a full blown coup.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 15:50:14

dolanbaker wrote:A military junta replacing a police state, viva la change!

Power abhors a vacuum. Somebody's got to make the trains run on time, otherwise you have Baghdad type situations with total zombpocalypse.
mos6507

Unread postby davep » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 17:53:59

The best thing that can happen right now is for the military to kick him out and prepare elections. It may be the only way to avoid a lot of bloodshed.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 18:48:05

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 19:01:31

mos6507 wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:A military junta replacing a police state, viva la change!

Power abhors a vacuum. Somebody's got to make the trains run on time, otherwise you have Baghdad type situations with total zombpocalypse.

Yes, Mubarak was correct in saying that if (when) he leaves without a successor there will be chaos. As things stand if he stays there will also be chaos.

Who knows who is really in charge and how this will play out.

From the BBC
2233: Mohamed ElBaradei tweets: "Egypt will explode. Army must save the country now."
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 22:00:56

What DO they do when Mubarak sleeps, if chaos results when he's not around? LOL!

Such BS. Everyone is expendible.

He wants to be buried in Egypt. I say someone should pop a cap in Mubarak and oblige him.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 10 Feb 2011, 22:10:53

mos6507 wrote:
rangerone314 wrote:The problem with people is that they exist on a continuum from short-term thinking people who have no self-control (drug addicts, breeding addicts, criminals, looters) to people who are disciplined planners with actual long-term objectives and a plan for reaching them.

There's nothing wrong with compassion, as long as it is balanced and not in excess. Given a choice though, I'd rather be responsible than compassionate, because if there were more people who acted responsibly, there would be less of an actual need for compassion in the world because everything wouldn't be so f**ked up!

How many kids do you have again? It's over 2, I know that. I know you've got a war-chest of rationalizations over that, but I think, given what you've done, your statement above lacks legitimacy.
I would say your liberal ideology in our present situation with the inevitable future lacks legitimacy.

I have 4. If would have 10 if I could reasonably support them at this point, knowing what I do, because I think everything's going down the toilet. (The key point being "could reasonably support" which for many other people is not a consideration) Climate disaster is inevitable. Economic disaster is inevitable. Die-off is inevitable. I'm going to look after me and my own, and my own will help look after me.

If I was at this point in my life 20 years ago, I might have only had one kid, when that would have made a difference. At this point it doesn't matter.

Our political and economic systems are proving themselves a failure. I'm going to set up my own small "system" and teach my own family how to handle things.

#%&* everyone else.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Mubarak has stepped down and left Cairo

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:17:47

Power has been delegated to the military council.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Mubarak has stepped down and left Cairo

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:19:16

Linky?
vision-master

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:20:10

Turn on your TV.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:22:33

Oh, that dusty thing in the corner....... :)
vision-master

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:27:24

vision-master wrote:Linky?

Live coverage: Mubarak resigns, hands power to the military
Update at 11:22 a.m. ET: MSNBC reports that President Obama was notified of Mubarak's resignation during an Oval Office meeting. He then watched the TV coverage for several minutes in an outer office.

Update at 11:15 a.m. ET: Egyptian opposition leader Mohamed ElBaradei, reacting to the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak, says: "This is the greatest day of my life. The country has been liberated."

Update at 11:08 a.m. ET: Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators erupted in jubilation in Tahrir Square as vice president Omar Suleiman announces that President Mubarak has resigned and called on the army to "run the affairs of the country."

Update at 11:05 a.m. ET: Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has resigne.d Vice President Omar Suleiman said in a brief televised statement. His statement in full: "Hosni Mubarak has waived the office of presidency and told the army to run the affairs of the country. "

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/02/military-vows-free-election-offers-conditional-end-to-emergency-law/1
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:28:01

vision-master wrote:Oh, that dusty thing in the corner....... :)

Either that, or just about any news web site worth looking at!
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:32:24

This just in:

Francisco Franco is still dead.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:36:31

I can't get a live video link yet, trying to get vid, still very fresh news!
It must be an incredible moment to be in Cairo right now. :-D
Let's see how the military council handles things over the next few hours/ days.
Congratulations to the courageous protesters!

Edit: http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Wow!!!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby hcholm » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:49:53

Funny, the oil price went down nearly $2 immediately after the news broke, only to rise more than $1 just a moment later.

Wonder what they were thinking? "Hooray, the situation is cool now! But hey, wait a second, what will happen next?"
hcholm
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:55:02

Out with the old ,in with the new. Food costs are still rising and oil revenue declining. What will the new guys in charge try to do?
What happens there over the next year or so will be very instructive.
Anyone bold enough to predict the state of Egypt a year from today?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:56:47

Some billionaires just made a few easy million.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 11 Feb 2011, 13:06:06

vtsnowedin wrote:What will the new guys in charge try to do?

I've been reluctant to join the orgy of (what may in retrospect seem irrational) euphoria over this, but for those of us who keep spinning narratives of brave patriot militia types vs. the evil jack boot thugs, FEMA concentration camps and "give me liberty or give me death!" swagger, watching what has been the second in a series of nearly bloodless populist revolutions break out in the middle-east of all places is an amazing thing to behold, and encouraging just on that basis alone, regardless of what follows.
mos6507

PreviousNext

Return to Africa Discussion