Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Occupy Wall Street pt 3

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Occupy Wall Street pt 3

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 09 Dec 2011, 18:44:41

Serial_Worrier wrote:So if a poor lost soul comes begging for food at your doomstead, you will only offer regular bread? No gluten-free options?

I'm not likely to offer anything other than directions to the food pantry in town. Its their job to deal with people's dietary requirements and problems. Ordinary folks get better results by sending a check each month to the local food pantry, rather than trying to do a poor imitation of it themselves.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 09 Dec 2011, 19:04:25

If a poor lost soul is willing to do a couple of hours of hard physical labor for me, that seems like an equitable trade for a meal. Might even throw in a cold beer at the end of it.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cloud9 » Fri 09 Dec 2011, 20:40:14

That's the way it was done in the thirties.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Fri 09 Dec 2011, 20:59:37

Cog wrote:If a poor lost soul is willing to do a couple of hours of hard physical labor for me, that seems like an equitable trade for a meal. Might even throw in a cold beer at the end of it.

Not if he is Celiac, beer is a no no. :shock:

My wife is Celiac, and I don't anticipate any problems on that front. We probably eat better than most. She does her own baking, and the flour restriction, cuts way down on the junk food you can eat. Besides, you can not grow very good wheat here in the Puget Sound. Lots of substitutes, Corn, rice, oats, almond flour, tapioca, etc....

That said, when we go out to eat, I always find the most glutenous thing on the menu. Sometimes I feel like asking for extra gluten. :roll:
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pretorian » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 00:45:15

Cid_Yama wrote:Not advocating for slavery. Pointing out that today's workers are treated worse than slaves.

Pretorian wrote:
Cid_Yama wrote:A living wage is food to eat, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, a way to get back and forth to work, antibiotics when you need them, and enough health care that you don't die or lose limbs needlessly.

Very simple, if you are not trying to obfuscate the issue.

All that is VERY cheap, especially if you live in barracks near your factory and wear work clothes. Bangladeshis in sweat shops get more than what you demand as a livin wage. So obviously you are being coy here, aren't you

No coyness about it. This is what the people are fighting for. Fighting for it because they do not have it.

Yes, that's right, THEY DO NOT HAVE IT. Millions upon millions of people in the United States do not have it.

That's what the demands for healthcare and decent jobs are all about. They are not after your wealth, they are after having their basic needs met.

Cid you are contradicting yourself. If they don't have it, how come that they are alive? And not only alive but have a "fighting spirit " as well. That does require excessive calories that have to come from somewehre
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 01:17:49

So where is this magic wand that creates "decent" jobs and why isn't it being used?

I demand the wand be brought forth. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 01:27:54

Cog wrote:So where is this magic wand that creates "decent" jobs and why isn't it being used?

I demand the wand be brought forth. :-D

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:17:06

*grins*

Planted checks box at ballot poll. :lol:

vision-master

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 12:30:14

More than half a century ago a Detroit cartoonist sat down at his drawing board intending to "spoil Christmas for every man and woman in Detroit who had remembered only themselves."

The artist was Thomas May. Whether his 1906 drawing of a little girl sobbing in a grimly furnished garret accomplished its purpose is not recorded.

But since 1923, the cartoon had been the official emblem of the Old Newsboys' Goodfellow Fund. The Old Newsboys take to the streets again this season to carry on their message: "No Child Without a Christmas."

link

Celebrate from your heart this Christmas.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 13:54:52

And remember that hungry people, are hungry year round.

Go forth to bank web site.
Click "Payee"
Type in address of local food pantry or homeless shelter.
Click schedule
Type in amount appropriate to your wealth, select monthly, automatic.

A few months down the road, you won't even notice, and you'll be doing more good than you can possibly imagine.

And best of all, you can rag on Cid and other annoying lefties with impunity, while not having to directly think of all those inconvenient, unwashed masses.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:11:18

AgentR11 wrote:And best of all, you can rag on Cid and other annoying lefties with impunity, while not having to directly think of all those inconvenient, unwashed masses.

If that's the way you have to twist it in your mind to do it, rather than from a compassionate and righteous feeling, I'll take it.

But wouldn't it feel better just to feel some good ol' compassion and feel you are doing something righteous and good?
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:16:21, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:16:17

I only give around $2500 a year to charities. A pittance by Cid's standards but far more I suspect then the the progressives that haunt this board wanting to get into my wallet.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:22:28

Nevermind, Cog. I would rather you keep your $2,500 that have it given in that spirit.

I wouldn't want you thinking anyone was trying to get into your wallet. I'll pay an extra $2,500 rather than take your blood money. If you don't mind I'll give it to the "No child without a Christmas fund".

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:29:12

I don't want a visitation from the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future to remind me of humanity's failing to provide for themselves. :lol: The burden to my wallet seems much lighter when I make the decision to give to unwashed masses than some Washington bureaucrat that you seem so in love with.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:47:26

Cid_Yama wrote:But wouldn't it feel better just to feel some good ol' compassion and feel you are doing something righteous and good?

You don't know me anywhere near well enough to assert such a thing.

And the answer, is flatly, no.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 15:39:16

That's the saddest thing I've heard in a while.

The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot

So are you telling me it's true that Republicans don't feel feelings of Compassion, Righteousness, and Good?

Or perhaps prefer not to. Or maybe can't. Help me understand.

This is kind of why we get the idea that you're Evil. You don't act in ways that show these things.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 15:56:11

Cog wrote:I only give around $2500 a year to charities. A pittance by Cid's standards but far more I suspect then the the progressives that haunt this board wanting to get into my wallet.

cog does this for a tax break - nothing more. :razz:
vision-master

Unread postby Cog » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 16:21:15

vision-master wrote:
Cog wrote:I only give around $2500 a year to charities. A pittance by Cid's standards but far more I suspect then the the progressives that haunt this board wanting to get into my wallet.

Since the tax break only amounts to around 25% of the amount I give, I'd obviously be ahead financially to give nothing. Try again VM.

Smoke a bowl first.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 16:52:04

Cid_Yama wrote:Nevermind, Cog. I would rather you keep your $2,500 that have it given in that spirit.

I wouldn't want you thinking anyone was trying to get into your wallet. I'll pay an extra $2,500 rather than take your blood money. If you don't mind I'll give it to the "No child without a Christmas fund".

Wow, an Atlas Shrugged deejay-vue moment.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 10 Dec 2011, 17:22:06

Cog wrote:
vision-master wrote:

Since the tax break only amounts to around 25% of the amount I give, I'd obviously be ahead financially to give nothing. Try again VM.

Smoke a bowl first.

So, why give to those moochers?
vision-master

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion