Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Immortality

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Immortality

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 15:51:53

Yeah sure, that's why hairy apes still live in the Jungle......... lol
vision-master

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 16:22:00

vision-master wrote:Yeah sure, that's why hairy apes still live in the Jungle......... lol

And probably why no hairy apes live in the Sahara Desert.
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 18:01:12

vision-master wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:Sometimes

the herb

is too strong

or full of heavy metals from the hydroponic solution not being flushed.

Nature selects.

Our origins have been written into our DNA. We come from the Stars......

Tell me Sea Hag............ If we evolued from hairy apes, why did we lose our fur? :lol:

Now we have to wear fur in order to stay warm........ :lol:

That's an inverse no brainer. Those with fur have to wait for it to moult off in season, an early hot or cold snap could kill a furry primate having left the climate stability of the primordial jungle for the savannah. Furlessness means we have the option to control our personal microclimates. One of the niftiest things ever really. And damn sexy.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby dbruning » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 19:26:18

Quickly popping back to the non-physical immortality...I'd be happier if there was some concrete proof I personally could witness.

Kirlian photography, OOBEs (never had one), and other neat stuff is all supposed to be around us...but I personally have never experienced anything to suggest my awareness will survive death, and I've been very very close to dying at least once already :P

Isn't the fear of dying one of the main reasons people have such an interest in the concept of Immortality? If I was offered the chance to have my body returned to its prime and no longer age (still vulnerable to everything else) I'd snap it up. I'd still die eventually from either bad luck or illness or something, but who wouldn't say yes to that :)

Of course in the world we live, such a thing couldn't be available for everyone, we're already swimming in human bio-mass...so it would likely be priced for that top 0.01% that already have all the good stuff. Which excludes me, sadly.

What we need to go with Immortality is a gateway into the multitudes of dimensions that theoretically exist. Bye-bye population problems. Hello conquest of everything everywhere. :P
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 01 Mar 2012, 20:05:19

From my 40 years as a meditator and student of the sublime arts, I will share all I have learned.
Immortal conciousness exists in plurality. The personal ego identification with this mortal coil ends at death/ meditation is about ending it beforehand, merging one's mind through the higher self with the super conciousness. Much easier said than done, as we are animals just as lusty as others or more so.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 00:05:35

vision-master wrote: If we evolued from hairy apes, why did we lose our fur? :lol:

Correction: you did not " evolve" from hairy apes, you ARE a hairy ape.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 00:13:07

sicophiliac wrote:Well.. one would wonder why natural selection didn't favor this type of regenerative ability in larger, longer lived and more complex organisms.

Because ever-life is not an option. You must die. Everybody does. Small guys can play around with immortality because they get killed off a lot, that's it.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sicophiliac » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 01:25:45

AgentR11 wrote:Natural selection does NOT provide what is optimal.
It provides what is *necessary* to survive and out-compete.

Individual immortality might, or might not be nice; but its really not a great help when it comes to catching and eating the gazelle.

I'm generally of the opinion that immortality as in agelessness would be pretty unpleasant; and immortality as in regenerative agelessness would be a recipe for world destruction. Primates are *NOT* nice to begin with, primates that are unkillable is a truly horrifying concept.

True, and rodents are a good example of a successful group of organisms that don't live very long. The point I was making was in regards to regenerative abilities. You loose your hand and you have a stump, do the same on a salamander though and it can regenerate a hand. I think the ability to regenerate a limb..or a portion of an organ for example would likely be a competitive advantage in nature. However I think that probably ties into increased odds of developing cancers which might negate the benefits of regenerative abilities.

Yeah primates (particularly homo sapiens) aren't that nice but we will never be unkillable. If we can use gene therapy, genetically engineered virus or some sort of future wonder drugs to effectively cure cancer and at the same time master regenerating organs, tissues and so forth using stem cells or replace them with artificial counterparts then we can really entertain the idea of indefinite lifespans, or at least life spans of several hundred if not thousands of years.
sicophiliac
Coal
Coal

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 01:35:53

For the few dozen ppl who might be able to afford such treatment. It's just another bargaining chip, like 'We are gunna leave this crumby little planet anyway" which even in the unlikely event, again a few dozen of 'us' might be saved. (Only to fry in radiation or splatter into a chunk of cosmic dust).
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:38:18

SeaGypsy wrote:From my 40 years as a meditator and student of the sublime arts, I will share all I have learned.
Immortal conciousness exists in plurality. The personal ego identification with this mortal coil ends at death/ meditation is about ending it beforehand, merging one's mind through the higher self with the super conciousness. Much easier said than done, as we are animals just as lusty as others or more so.

We are way different than all other animals on this planet.
vision-master

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 13:34:30

vision-master wrote:
SeaGypsy wrote:From my 40 years as a meditator and student of the sublime arts, I will share all I have learned.

finally you agreed that you are an animal. Gosh, what an ice block was there..
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 13:54:43

Unlike any others on this Planet. Trees are a more advanced spieces than us.
vision-master

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 16:24:31

SeaGypsy wrote:For the few dozen ppl who might be able to afford such treatment. It's just another bargaining chip, like 'We are gunna leave this crumby little planet anyway" which even in the unlikely event, again a few dozen of 'us' might be saved. (Only to fry in radiation or splatter into a chunk of cosmic dust).

This is something I have scoured all over to find out if DNA changes throughout our lifetimes or does it remain the same? If no changes then the first stage of implementing "immortality" would most likely be in the form of engineered babies...any thoughts on this?

I only bring this up because I only see Evolutionary Theory as "they adapted and survived" however isn't it more along the lines of "the ones that had genetic changes that enabled them to survive lived and the rest died off"?

Can anyone verify if DNA changes "on the fly"?
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 16:59:40

The problem with DNA is we only get to examie the dead stuff. Besides something like 97% of it is 'unknown'.
vision-master

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 19:42:22

Pretorian wrote:
vision-master wrote:

finally you agreed that you are an animal. Gosh, what an ice block was there..

Find a quote of me saying otherwise and I shall by you a case of single male Preto!

Vision, we are ruled by our genitalia and our stomach, was my point.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby misterno » Fri 02 Mar 2012, 20:16:42

Throughout history man tried to immitate gods' technology, their skulls, their way of life etc etc. It does not surprise me that in the ancient times, people tried to have similar skulls like their gods. They tried to imitate gods because they admired their superior technology. Just like in Babylon tower, skulls are an example of ancient trial. I have even seen blocks of stone carved like a machine and attached to each other with melted steel. This was in Peru in a documentary narrated by Erich Von Daeniken.
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby diemos » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 10:57:34

sicophiliac wrote:Well.. one would wonder why natural selection didn't favor this type of regenerative ability in larger, longer lived and more complex organisms.

At some point it becomes prohibitive to try to keep repairing the old thing instead of throwing it away and making a new one. Plus generating new possibilities speeds up evolution.

What's good for the individual is usually terrible for the species and vice versa.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:13:00

What's good for the individual is usually terrible for the species

So what's bad for the individual is good for the species? WTF............... 8)
vision-master

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 14:32:36

Aha, impermanence again....

Beyond the world/universe we have words for, the known......there is unknown, even ourvelves, we are not what we think.
We are ruled mainly by internal dialogue and it is that inner speech that creates the description we live in, this bubble of perception.

Now we have a physical body that dies together with our energetic, luminous body. We are strange magical creatures.
Trick then is to remake yourself, your feelings...a rebirth....into an inorganic entity that can move on into that what surrounds us.
To break this human perception and move on.
It is here that we have an option to last and explore some more.

Anyone saving personal energy goes from the position of self pity/importance to ruthlessness.....the opposite.
We are luminous beings in a luminous universe.
Enlightenment is but stopping your internal dialogue and then seeing first hand what surrounds us, the unknown beyond this bubble of perceptionn that we happen to live in.....objects and stuff. People as well.
But then, you have to learn live conciously on two levels and believe in this world.
On the known there is no room for irrational crap, on the windy side no room for rational crap.
Only the very disciplined can make this work.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 04 Mar 2012, 14:58:19

My friend, what are you?

Are you a celestial being or a god?

No

said the Buddha

Well, then, are you some kind of magician or wizard?

again the Buddha answered

No

Are you a man?

No

Well, my friend, then what are you?

the Buddha replied

I am awake.
vision-master

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion