Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why do Geoscience Technicians with no degree make so much?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Why do Geoscience Technicians with no degree make so muc

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Aug 2012, 12:39:08

Are you aware there are millions upon millions of engineers working around the world in office jobs for less than what a bum wiper makes in Connecticut? Just because a few hundred or thousand people have well paid tech jobs doesn't mean they are there for the picking.

Try calling up some of the hirers and asking how many applications they get landing on their inbox each month. Then ask yourself what percentage of these they could possibly read.

Remember the other thread you started about "There's no jobs, even if you want to work for FREE"? Where you blather on about your wife not being able to get a job with her qualification etc.etc?

There are groups of people who will NEVER be unemployed. Not because of their QUALIFICATIONS, but because of something more subtle. Who they are, who they know, what kind of person they are.

The reverse is also true, there being plenty of people who have never been unemployed, because of their qualifications; but are going to be, because of something less subtle.

The world is changing. Better change with it.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby smiley » Mon 06 Aug 2012, 18:06:37

For the third time, I am repeating that this is an OFFICE JOB I am talking about

You've never been up in a 180ft crane have you? It is an office job more than anything. It is also very easy. The reason they pay so well is because it is incredibly boring to stare down the whole day and maintain concentration. A single drop or swing can cost your company millions in damages and delay penalties (Knocking over some co-workers, might not go down well with the team, but at least they are insured)

Some office jobs are like that. Look at the clerk at UBS who hit the enter button a bit too enthousiasticly and racked up a loss of 356m. What kind of education do you think he had?

Looking at the aries program I suspect that this is a job that is out of reach for a lot of people because of the statistics involved. It is also too boring for mathematically trained academics. Yet it needs to be executed well, because there is a lot of money at stake.

In any way, since you're so desperate to find out, you can always apply to find out what the catch is :-D
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 04:29:12

The big floating cranes are steered by camera view, a bit like flying a drone. There are windows, but they don't usually allow the driver to see the view needed to control the load. Also saying it's easy is plain wrong. There are easy days for sure, but pinpoint accuracy with multiple directions of movement, water, air, sometimes ice, no not easy.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby smiley » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 13:48:21

There are easy days for sure, but pinpoint accuracy with multiple directions of movement, water, air, sometimes ice, no not easy.

I was talking about land based cranes. A friend let me in the cab once for a day and it did not appear that difficult, other than that you had to maintain a constant focus on whay you were doing and yet maintain a high pace.

Sea cranes are of course on a different level. But even a an operator on a 60+m land crane can make >160k.
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby misterno » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 14:02:53

There is no way I can get a decent reply here.

I asked the same question 3 times and got the same wrong response every time.

Maybe I am expecting too much...
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 16:19:39

smiley wrote:Sea cranes are of course on a different level. But even a an operator on a 60+m land crane can make >160k.

I have no doubt in that. I know that some actors can make that much and a lot more in a few minutes by vocalizing some cartoon characters. Many make that much and more by browsing facebook , their favorite online games , and well, may be a lick or two up the boss's rear, once in awhile. Question is, how many positions like these are open ?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 07 Aug 2012, 17:32:58

Mister & Missus No have such high expectations of themselves. Seems from other chats on here, both have degrees, Mr being unsatisfied with his remuneration, Mrs unable to get work, even for "FREE".

On a very surface assessment; an attitude adjustment is in order.

If you are trying to lift a ten tonne block with a crowbar, it makes no headway to walk around the block over and over. You need LEVERAGE, meaning you need to use the sharp end of the tool to chip and dig a hole to get your tool into.

You are so obviously looking for the easy way, for yourself and your wife. That is how to make sure you are early redundant. If we can all see this attitude from your little bits of posting here, how much more so can an interviewer with your resume in front of them?

I suggest a careers counsellor with a proven track record, who is likely to recommend a psychologist. With your current world view I would bet one of my kids you will not get a significant break, in an office job or otherwise. You come across as jealous, whiny, lazy, self centered and uncompromising; all not attractive traits in an 8%+ unemployment market. Degree on top of your resume or none.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 08 Aug 2012, 14:36:29

SeaGypsy wrote:Mister & Missus No have such high expectations of themselves. Seems from other chats on here, both have degrees, Mr being unsatisfied with his remuneration, Mrs unable to get work, even for "FREE".

On a very surface assessment; an attitude adjustment is in order.

If you are trying to lift a ten tonne block with a crowbar, it makes no headway to walk around the block over and over. You need LEVERAGE, meaning you need to use the sharp end of the tool to chip and dig a hole to get your tool into.

No, what you need is to understand that you DONT need to lift a ten tonne block, with a crowbar or anything else.
With Turkish economy developing and may be even entering EU in a few decades perhaps he really should go back, if not for his surely for his wife's sake.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 08 Aug 2012, 15:53:25

Turkey does look good compared to most of Europe at present.
I have often moved thousands of kms to get a better job or more bucks. TS is HTF in Melbourne at the moment, I told my bosses here and wife yesterday I am going back to Darwin if I don't get a proper job here in the next 10 days.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 08 Aug 2012, 18:24:26

If not for a job,why did you move from Darwin in the first place ?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 08 Aug 2012, 19:03:39

Got good work here as a tutor but the shrinks here are the best and my wife needed treatment for post natal depression. Teaching is going to shit due to funding cuts. Wife is better, time to move on.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby smiley » Thu 09 Aug 2012, 18:38:08

misterno wrote:There is no way I can get a decent reply here.

I asked the same question 3 times and got the same wrong response every time.

Maybe I am expecting too much...

What reply do you want then? That it is a outright scandal that people make so much money without a "proper" education? That it is not true, and that this guy has been lying to you about the wages?

The fact that you say these answers are wrong implies that you have some sort of sense on what type of answer you would accept as being true.

All I can say is that an education gives you a higher change on a good salary on average. That does not mean that there aren't exeptions on both sides. In the end wage is not determined by some biblical wage table, it just reflects how valuable the work is perceived by other people.

But if there is a recepy for success, undoubtedly one of the most important factor is being at the right spot at the right time. I think everyone gets a more than a few changes for fortune. Most let them go by, not able to notice them, or to scared to let go of solid ground.

Outperformers all have this ability to recognise and asses an opportunity when it opens up and to position themselves for it without doubt or hesitation, time and time again. And these will make a lot of money regardless of their eductation.
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 09 Aug 2012, 23:10:28

Or compromise and still do just fine. I left school at 17, have a few certificates in specialty industrial skills. I could reasonably easily crack a mine job and be on $140k, with no more study. I may still do this, but for the time being it's about lifestyle and family more than 'big bucks'. On average I only work about half the year and still clear about $50k, which has suited me fine with young kids and lots of travel.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby sparky » Sat 11 Aug 2012, 19:18:01

When one work in a cash rich industry , the wages tend to be higher
like many other industries , sometimes money get thrown at a problem
" calculating and measuring with extreme accuracy if I can make money on certain oil fields. $300/hr is nothing compare to how much I can make from those oil fields."

it's part of the froth , things work out , everything is peachy
the employees make hundreds , the investor make millions
things don't work out , everybody get fired

I don't know the detail of the job you mentioned for opener
there certainly is jobs like that sometimes
however , is it full time or contracting on a time-sheet basis
is it a permanent job or temporary ?

" How can I get a job like that ? "
dumb luck is a good start , not asking dumb questions is also needful
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 11 Aug 2012, 19:42:11

If I was in the USA and wanted to land a big buck job, first thing I would do is move to North Dakota and get a job 'wiping bums'. I would then spend every Friday night at whatever pub/ hotel the people on the wells are playing pool, seeing a band, socializing. I would not be interrogating anyone, just being as cool and sociable as I know how/ making friends. In a matter of weeks, I would know two things/ 1, what is the biggest shortage in the labour market for jobs with good pay? 2/ What tickets do I need to land one of these jobs?

In this situation, continuing to wipe the bums of the local oldies or kids, studying for the requisite tickets; going to the pub on Friday nights..... A pretty good chance of getting in.

Hanging around thousands of miles from the action, moaning with green eyes, is a recipe for getting nowhere. Degree or no.

For example; I am living in Melbourne at present. There are colleges here offering government sponsored trades certificate courses in 'Extractive Industries' and the like. They churn out hundreds of qualified mine technicians every 6 months. Most of whom proceed to sit at home firing off resumes to companies who are just not interested in them, failing to get a 'leg in the door'. Meanwhile, others buy an old caravan or stick a tent in the back of their car and drive to the mining regions, taking any job they can get. Most of these get the job they want, with just basic safety tickets, a truck license and ability to pass a drug/ alcohol screening- health check. It's almost all about attitude.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 12 Aug 2012, 00:23:28

My own experience can't be much of a help here as it all depends on education, timing and attitude. It is different for everyone.
Something I can offer that lines up closely with what SeaGypsy has said is that attitude and willingness to work and learn is what it is all about.
Over the past several decades I spent a lot of time interviewing and hiring folks all the way from bog standard technician to mid-level executive. My best decisions were always made on the attitude I saw in the interview, my worst were always made on overriding my sense from the interview based on the individuals resume. Success, as my Scots Presbyterian upbringing taught me is 90 % perspiration and 10% inspiration and I've seen that over the years in the people that I have hired. The ones who truly were keen and wanted to succeed did, those looking for something they thought they had earned through an education daddy paid for failed.
I am continually inspired by people I meet who immigrated to North America from India, Pakistan, Philippines, Malaysia etc with advanced degrees but are willing to work at manual labor because it is still better than their former situation. Everyone in that situation I have talked to believes that eventually they will get where they want to be but are willing to work their way up irrespective of the fact they should have been there anyway.
Life is not fair, but it is short and regrets take up way too much time.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance