Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Egypt Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Egypt Closes Suez Canal Today....

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:27:20

oddone wrote:There are currently ca. 80 ships waiting in Suez to sail north, and ca. 100 in Port Said to go south.

Source/ link?
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:48:23

BREAKING: Egypt Closes Suez Canal for US Ships

Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/breaking ... 0rJostI.99
vision-master

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:50:24

HI VM

I'll wait for confirmation from a real news source on this. :roll:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:50:46

Tamarod urges closing Suez Canal to vessels supporting strike on Syria

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/08/2 ... -on-syria/
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:51:10

Cog wrote:HI VM

Won't we all.
vision-master

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:52:26

How long until this closure causes world oil prices to spike?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:53:01

Will Chaos in Egypt Close Suez Canal?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/920152189001 ... uez-canal/
vision-master

Unread postby John_A » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:06:05

vision-master wrote:Will Chaos in Egypt Close Suez Canal?

According to the OP it sounds like...it already did...?? Unless this was yet another jump the gun because it sounded neat episode....??
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:07:46

John_A wrote:

According to the OP it sounds like...it already did...?? Unless this was yet another jump the gun because it sounded neat episode....??

Sounds like 'they' are letting 'some' ships through now?
vision-master

Unread postby John_A » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:38:17

vision-master wrote:
John_A wrote:

Sounds like 'they' are letting 'some' ships through now?

You're asking me? I just figured the OP was another arm waving exercise to turn a molehill into a mountain like for the Libya revolution, Iran doing an oil bourse to put the US dollar out of action, the North Korean missile pretend launch stuff, all the normal current events that with a little hyperventilation can be inflated into something just as an exercise in trying to make something from nothing.

Like people are just bored and looking for an excuse to get all worked up for lack of real things to get worked up over. Peak oil is just so...2008. And all the invasions are winding down, the likes of Osama are dead and gone, there just isn't anything left with pizzazz except maybe climate change...and with temperatures not moving upwards much over the last decade, that isn't even what it could have been.
45ACP: For when you want to send the very best.
John_A
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:43:10

That marine traffic info shows currently only 2 or 3 ships moving at each end, with dozens waiting at anchor. Interesting to watch unfold live. Thanks Vision. (somebody made a call. North entrances are clearly open, South still looks at standstill apart from 1 freighter 1 tanker.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 20:04:41

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/ta ... ocked-suez

Egypt's Tamarod movement has called on Egyptian authorities to close the Suez Canal, preventing military destroyers that could be used in an impending strike on Syria.

The campaign’s website quoted Tamarod spokesperson Hassan Shahin as saying that Egypt should take a firm stance against the anticipated U.S.military strike against Syria.

"We should shut the Suez Canal before destroyers, machinery or oil vessels pass to strike Syria," Shahin also posted on Facebook. "Supporting the Arab Syrian military is a national duty.”

“We’ll support the Arab Syrian army. No place for traitors. Arab people should revolt after schemes by the Free [Syrian] Army and its supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood and extremists to strike the whole Arab world were disclosed,” he added.

(published 8 hours ago. the southern entrance still appears to be in lock down.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 20:38:16

Looks like lots of vessels going through now.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 20:44:17

I'm still only seeing 2 coming up from the south. Whatsup with that? The north is streaming, south at standstill.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 21:25:07

I futzed around with the AIS system during the whole Goldman Sachs floating storage incident, attempting to suss out whether the stories about millions of barrels being held offshore of Houston/Rotterdam had any basis in reality. The marinetraffic.com browser's come along a bit, many more features and better resolution, but I still see very suspicious artifacts happening - when I zoom out and pan north the number of vessels at the south end of the canal seems to grow or shrink at whim. Not a good indicator of this system's usefulness.

And at any rate, notice they have no category for "military" vessels. There's "Yachts and Others" and "Unspecified" of course, but zooming in at the Bangor Trident Base in Washington State I see precisely nothing whatsoever, which would be a strange turn of affairs given that's the largest stockpile of nuclear weaponry in the world.

Also in the past hour there are precisely no stories up at Google News on the Canal. I think this is rumors and nothing more, at the moment anyway. You'd as well parse Twitter feeds from that region.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 28 Aug 2013, 22:22:05

This sounds like some General in Egypt spouting off that Egypt would not authorize transit by warships intent on attacking Syria. Probably a bad translation and a bunch of gun jumpers later we have a report of a closed canal. In any case, the US could attack from a number of platforms without any new ships passing the canal.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 29 Aug 2013, 07:17:50

I agree, rumor mill is busy.

Apparently even the Canadian Coast Guard, a civil service group, is exempt from AIS rules.

Last year crossing the Gulf of Maine, at night, I was contacted by a Canadian Coast Guard ship concerning my course. I have a full AIS transponder, meaning I hear their position, and transmit my own. There are cheap units for non mandatory use (under 65) that recieve only. Anyway, the CGC hails me by name, meaning he can read my AIS. but I can't see him on AIS, which means his transmitter is " off." CGC is civil service, not military.

What you see online are reports from "base stations". These are fixed AIS stations ashore that listen to all the AIS data and pass it on. But ships beyond their range, maybe 80 miles, are not visible online, but still "hear" one another at sea. I think there are some satellite trackers but don't know anything about it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:25:11

Cog wrote:HI VM

Would the MSM report detailed military movements during wartime (that being anytime nowadays)?
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 29 Aug 2013, 16:10:19

Israeli ship denied entry to Suez Canal port Egyptian official says vessel, seeking repairs, lacked correct certification

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-sh ... anal-port/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby EdwinSm » Sun 01 Sep 2013, 01:05:03

This is later than the event mentioned in the first posting, but it was also aimed at disrupting the shipping in the Suez Canal.

Egyptian officials say they have foiled an attack on a container ship which was aimed at disrupting shipping in the busy Suez Canal.

Canal authority head Mohab Mamish said a "terrorist element" targeted a Panama-flagged vessel on Saturday, but it was undamaged.

There were reports of two blasts, but details of the attack are unclear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23918642
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Africa Discussion