Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Years of Living Dangerously - James Cameron

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Years of Living Dangerously

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 16 Apr 2014, 15:15:41

WildRose wrote:After watching this episode, however, I find myself thinking that the problem is so much greater than just people of religious leanings not wanting to accept evidence of man-made climate change. We're really all to blame whether we're consuming with abandon, working the jobs that support destructive industries or making big bucks off of new pipelines. We put the same blocks up against the facts, not wanting to change and therefore not listening to the message.

Whether secular or religious we are all sucking on the oil tit, some to greater or lesser amounts, some who accept their cupability and others who weave wonderful rationalizations for why their usage is still non negotiable.

All will be called to the negotiating table in the months and years ahead. No exceptions.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jupiters_release » Thu 17 Apr 2014, 05:38:34

dorlomin wrote:If it works then fair enough but that was cringeworthy stuff to watch for me.

It was so awful I couldn't finish the last ten minutes or so. I'd rather watch The Bachelor over this kindergarten level climate soap opera. And H Ford didn't know about palm oil till Indonesia done lost all its forests? GTFOOHWTignoranthollywoodBS turned environmental hipster crusader, an Indiana Jones sequel would be less cringeworthy.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 17 Apr 2014, 06:54:59

It kind of bothered me that Mr. Ford kept saying over and over "I can't wait to talk to him" in a menacing tone as if the forestry minister of Indonesia cares what an American film star thinks of him. If the guy in charge is so corrupt he has licensed out 75% of a NATIONAL FOREST as palm oil plantation land what in the world does he care about Harrison Ford?

Hey Eastbay, does your book have Harrison Ford in it ;) just wondering. Maybe you could send him a copy, if he likes it the sales will roll in.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Lore » Thu 17 Apr 2014, 08:21:20

I don't believe Ford said it in the context that he would have any personal influence on changing the course of events, but in being able to expose the issue to public light in a direct confrontation for an answer.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 19 Apr 2014, 15:25:24

There's a long tradition of famous people turning their fame towards activism. Bono, Angelina Jolie, Sally Struthers (overweight) trying to feed Africans. You can argue all you want about whether what they're doing is an ego-trip or hypocritcal or whatever, but at least they are DOING something. They aren't just kicking back on the keyboard and complaining.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Re: Years of Living Dangerously - James Cameron

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 08:42:33

I recently signed up for Amazon Instant Video and just discovered this program is available for free with my subscription so I will be binge watching. I have only seen the first episode before, the one that is free on YouTube.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Years of Living Dangerously - James Cameron

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 07 Sep 2015, 16:58:38

The key here is the physics, human produced GWG overwhelm any volcanic, solar and orbital effects. The only thing holding GW back is massive pollution dimming the amount of light reaching the earth. Once we clean up the pollution, GW rears it's ugly head much faster.

Do not forgot another thing holding back AGW is the oceans and their huge effect as a sink that will according to my reading inexorably begin to weaken so that oceans will then be becoming sources of CO2. Thanks for that link.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Book/Media Reviews