Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Most Important Video You'll Ever See...

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Most Important Video You'll Ever See...

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 06:18:19

DesuMaiden wrote: You can only have a high population if you have a lot of arable land.
It doesn't work that way, countries that can't self support themselves will trade with others to obtain the food needed to sustain themselves. Singapore being a classic example and there are many others in similar situation.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 18:06:24

dolanbaker wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote: You can only have a high population if you have a lot of arable land.
It doesn't work that way, countries that can't self support themselves will trade with others to obtain the food needed to sustain themselves. Singapore being a classic example and there are many others in similar situation.

Japan is another example of such a country. Japan imports most of its food. Countries that import most of their food would be in serious trouble because of peak oil. They can't import anymore food without cheap fossil fuel aided transportation.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 18:53:45

DesuMaiden wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

Japan is another example of such a country. Japan imports most of its food. Countries that import most of their food would be in serious trouble because of peak oil. They can't import anymore food without cheap fossil fuel aided transportation.

If your life depended on it, you'll happily!! pay $1000 a litre for the fuel if the alternative was starvation. Sea freight has very high efficiencies due to the sheer size of some of the ships out there now. If they have to convert ships to coal to maintain a service they will.

A lot of activities that consume oil will go by the wayside before the core services that are vital to health are touched. Even then, survival is possible with less than about 10% of today's supply.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 19:03:33

dolanbaker wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:

If your life depended on it, you'll happily!! pay $1000 a litre for the fuel if the alternative was starvation. Sea freight has very high efficiencies due to the sheer size of some of the ships out there now. If they have to convert ships to coal to maintain a service they will.

A lot of activities that consume oil will go by the wayside before the core services that are vital to health are touched. Even then, survival is possible with less than about 10% of today's supply.

10% of today's oil supply is coming rapidly. The collapse is nigh.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 01:51:59

Not in my lifetime anyway, I expect it to take more than 60 years before oil production declines to anywhere near that level, by then human activity will become a lot less "energetic" due to future energy constraints.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:03:28

dolanbaker wrote:Not in my lifetime anyway, I expect it to take more than 60 years before oil production declines to anywhere near that level, by then human activity will become a lot less "energetic" due to future energy constraints.

It is happening as we speak. The world is peaking in oil, and as a result the economy will collapse.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 17:54:24

DesuMaiden wrote:
dolanbaker wrote:Not in my lifetime anyway, I expect it to take more than 60 years before oil production declines to anywhere near that level, by then human activity will become a lot less "energetic" due to future energy constraints.

It is happening as we speak. The world is peaking in oil, and as a result the economy will collapse.

Oil is one of many fuels that power the economic engine of the modern world, economic activity will shrink as the energy input reduces and there are no more gains from improved efficiency.
The economy will decline, in an ungainly and unpredictable way, a bit like a drunk going downstairs, but it won't collapse!
Things like the carcentric suburban lifestyle will fade as the availability of fuel shrinks, electric cars will slow down that decline, but eventually suburbs will give way to satellite towns.
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 20:22:23

dolanbaker wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:

Oil is one of many fuels that power the economic engine of the modern world, economic activity will shrink as the energy input reduces and there are no more gains from improved efficiency.
The economy will decline, in an ungainly and unpredictable way, a bit like a drunk going downstairs, but it won't collapse!
Things like the carcentric suburban lifestyle will fade as the availability of fuel shrinks, electric cars will slow down that decline, but eventually suburbs will give way to satellite towns.

Oil powers about 97% of all of the transport around the world. So yes, when we don't have enough oil, the whole system will collapse. Besides the whole economy is a pyramid scheme that relies on infinite growth. When growth is no longer possible, the pyramid scheme unravels, and we are met with an deflationary and then inflationary crisis.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 21:01:42

DesuMaiden wrote:They can't import anymore food without cheap fossil fuel aided transportation.

I know this is a big talking point for doomers, but I've changed my perspective of late. Think about it. People were importing spice from asia thousands of years ago. Think of all those amphora of wine and other foodstuffs they keep finding in old shipwrecks. These days there's quite a lot of economy in, let's say, a cargo ship full of grain. So I don't buy the idea that there won't be any international food trade post-peak. I don't deny that prices will go up but there will remain some form of trade for a long time.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 12 Jan 2015, 22:40:32

Except that thousands of years ago the global population was much smaller, the effects of environmental damage or even global warming not as prominent, and both arms production and military spending not the same as what we have today.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Thu 15 Jan 2015, 20:55:20

ennui2 wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:They can't import anymore food without cheap fossil fuel aided transportation.

I know this is a big talking point for doomers, but I've changed my perspective of late. Think about it. People were importing spice from asia thousands of years ago. Think of all those amphora of wine and other foodstuffs they keep finding in old shipwrecks. These days there's quite a lot of economy in, let's say, a cargo ship full of grain. So I don't buy the idea that there won't be any international food trade post-peak. I don't deny that prices will go up but there will remain some form of trade for a long time.

World trade did exist before oil. But we will never have globalization at the level we have today without the use of oil. Oil made globalization possible. If you take the oil away, globalization as an economic model is OVER. It is an unavoidable conclusion that if you take away oil the global economy will contract. And as the economy contracts while the population keeps on growing, this will cause society to collapse because there will not be enough jobs for people. Of course, when food stops being delivered to grocery stores, the only way you can survive is to locally produce food. Otherwise, you will starve to death. So if everyone started to produce food locally, then everyone will be employed and well-fed. If we continue the current economic paradigm into the future, we are doomed as a species because long-distance global trade is impossible without oil.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion