Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

My meltdown over ice

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: My meltdown over ice

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 25 Apr 2016, 16:08:50

AdamB wrote:
Cog wrote: All the way home, I am stewing about the utter wrongness about me busting my hump earning a living while some land whale and her brood buy frigging ice with a EBT card.

This country is doomed and I see it more everyday. And yes, I did some checking and you can buy ice with an EBT card. Haven't any of these people heard of ice trays?

Gotta agree with Cog. The free stuff army (great phrase by the way) is just deadweight, as we now know it isn't peak oil or phantom resource scarcity that is the issue, but all of those who just consume without a second's thought on contributing.

Give me my free stuff!!

Meanwhile, the entire left wing will insist that the entire problem is wealth inequality.

As though if the entire US consisted of land whales living on their (free) EBT card and no one worked, everything would be just dandy.

Of course, we'll all get giant frownie-faces from the far left for even daring to have this conversation. (Because free speech is really only "fair" when it is politically correct).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 13:51:14

I think this is one of the central issues of our day, our complaints. I was talking about this kind of thing the other day with a friend of mine. I said to him that what we have today is a whole lot of people complaining about everything when they all live better than the king ever did 200 years ago, even those on welfare. What people do, no matter how well off, is compare themselves to each other. Once they latch onto the top 1% or .1% then they really start to bitch. That's when all of their problems become somebody Else's fault.

Do any of us know how to delay instant gratification at birth in order to achieve a set goal or series of goals later because we haven't fouled up our personal resources with consumption, but used them toward investing in our future? I think we learn that as we go along, usually sometime during or after the hormone rush of our teens teaches us the folly of having given in to what we thought we wanted. Experience is a harsh teacher, though. Some people wind up with children they have to take care of as children themselves, and without ever having learned the value of delaying personal gratification. Once this happens they become parents who don't know how or what to teach their own kids when they get to the same place where they could begin to learn the lesson. Yes, and many who do learn the lesson actually fail to pass it along because they don't want to see their children suffer.

We don't learn that, for the most part, whatever our situation is it is most likely our own fault. This is also a spiritual truth. The character of most people who are reprehensible is mostly due to how selfish they are. Most of us have to learn respect and value for others by learning what it is like to be on the bottom ourselves and then imagining what it must be like for other people. Some of us learn to pay attention, and thus to visualize planning, and don't have to experience the most painful aspects of those lessons, but those people are rare. The sad truth, however, is that unless we grow up there is too much temptation to treat others just as unfairly as we have been treated once we attain to some position of power. When I worked in an office I used to watch people who were once underlings complaining about how bad management was manage in the very same manner once they got promoted. When you meet a manager who knows how to truly empower their people that's when the light goes on, not in the opportunity but in the teaching. If we don't get some hand up we tend as people to never learn and thus never enter a new cycle where better ways are passed along. Succeeding isn't enough. It alone won't teach you not to crap on others.

I suppose the answer is systemic. You have to attempt to change people's lives for the better at the beginnings of new stages in their lives. Teaching alone doesn't seem to have the full effect either. Some of the stuff that people argue the most over, like access to abortion and family planning, appears to be vital to not entering into another generation of self-reinforcing dependency. Headstart is good too, as well as many of the other programs designed to try and help kids escape the constraints that keep them from thinking well. It doesn't half hurt, also, to realize the better place of complaint, it too can be your enemy if you let it. Otherwise you waste all your energy consumed with bitterness toward everyone else and never see how well you have it yourself.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 14:20:57

Well said ^^^^^^^
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 20:09:19

Agreed. Hence the patent absurdity of Occupy- spoilt middle class & welfare dependents completely unaware that the poorest among them are wealthier than about 97% of global population.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 20:12:42

I bet they dont have these problems in countries where people pay more taxes and safety nets are set higher and more money is spent on education and there is a much better standard of living for all.
Maybe most Scandinavian countries.
The right wingers complain about Bernie Sanders but all they want is a free lunch.
They want to pay no taxes and still want a civilised society.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 20:45:16

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Meanwhile, the entire left wing will insist that the entire problem is wealth inequality.

As though if the entire US consisted of land whales living on their (free) EBT card and no one worked, everything would be just dandy.

Of course, we'll all get giant frownie-faces from the far left for even daring to have this conversation. (Because free speech is really only "fair" when it is politically correct).

FWIW, for the global population, part of the problem does involve wealth inequality.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 22:36:15

Hey Cog. I want to apologize for my tone a while back. Don't know what bee got in my bonnet then. A bit embarrassed reading my posts to you.

Not that my point was wrong, my tone was.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 27 Apr 2016, 22:46:22

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Newfie wrote:
Channeling Ayn Rand Cog?

Actually, I really liked that book. I thought she got the economics about right, all her raving about idiot bureaucrats and who the really smart folks were responsible for keeping them in power.

I read it as a call for revolt against the bureaucrats. Of course the movers and shakers were too busy being in cahoots with the bureaucrats to take responsible charge.

Did we read the same book?

The movers and shakers (the folks who ended up founding Galt's Gulch -- the ones who actually knew how to do industrial processes) sure didn't seem that way to me.

If you're talking about the ones who WERE the bureaucrats, that's different. Or if you're talking the clowns who just got in the way (and yes, they were suck-ups) like James Taggert, etc. -- they weren't the movers and shakers -- they were part of the problem the heroes of the story rebelled against.

Hank Reardon was guilty of having "his man" in Washington (a lobbyist, apparently) since he wanted to focus on running his metals business, but that was to do the minimum required with the "chief assh*les in charge), which I wouldn't call sucking up.

Like me paying my income taxes, partly to stay out of jail, does NOT mean I fully support and endorse the current income taxation system, where people like Mitt Romney pay a much lower effective tax rate than a head of household with the median income.

Same book. By "mover and shaker" I meant Taggert et all. I guess I'd call the Gault Gulch crowd the Atlas of the title.

So, I read it as a call for revolt by the Gaults Gulch crowd. She did not want to eliminate the middle men (movers and shakers) or the bureaucrats, but she wanted the Gaults to take responsibility for the use of their inventions.

It's a fantasy surely, but it is a way of communicating her ideas about how the world works, and I think she had a lot of it right.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Thu 28 Apr 2016, 07:02:03

Newfie wrote:Hey Cog. I want to apologize for my tone a while back. Don't know what bee got in my bonnet then. A bit embarrassed reading my posts to you.

Not that my point was wrong, my tone was.

If you didn't care enough to have a bee in your bonnet from time to time, you would be unworthy to converse with. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion