Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Your favorite vacation

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Your favorite vacation

Unread postby MD » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 18:08:49

Belize has been calling me for a number of years. I want to do that from Florida by boat. somebody come pick me up? I am an experienced sailor and will load up with supplies, spear guns, diesel know how, and anything else necessary. I want to stand on the turneffe atoll and look down into the blue hole. maybe even dive into it
tbh that is the serious #1 on my bucket list. Alaska can wait
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 08 Jan 2018, 18:53:50

We did a couple of trips to Glover Atoll. Not the southern resorts the small island half way up. All inclusive, they provide kerosene and water, you bring EVERTHING else. #1 is the right spot on your list.

We also went to Tikal and spent time in Punt Gorda.

http://www.glovers.com.bz
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 03:35:45

MD wrote:Anything nature related that I have not yet experienced. It's a fairly short list: arctic/antarctic, Deep desert/oasis, Barrier reefs/coral reefs shallow diving, active volcanoes, deep topical rain forests.

The next list includes pyramids, taj, Parthenon, and other human antiquities like the yucatan and south east asia stuff

The deep interior of Asia intrigues me. Upper mongolia and the Gobi. not sure what's there but that's what draws my attention.

Old Europe might be ok after that.

Long bucket list. I doubt I will check many off, but will be happy to experience each and every one I can manage

I like nature, history, modern,foods and weird
Ive seen most of the national parks in the US and Australia and quite a few in Asia and Europe too
I've been to nearly every pyramid, temple, religious site I can get too.
Been to nearly every historic town Ive heard off in Europe.
Ive eaten the speciality of nearly everywhere Ive been
Im interested in seeing the weird in Vegas and Japan.
I also like to catch a few more trains Ive gone through a bit of Europe on a train Italy France and England
Ive also travelled a bit in Egypt by train
I would love to go from Beijing to Madrid by train but maybe start in Singapore and then go to Bangkok a bus through Cambodia to Ho Chi Mon City and start again to Bejing.
Would also like to rent a place in a village in Spain Portugal France Italy or Malta and just explore and immerse myself in the local culture.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MD » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 04:14:19

Shaved Monkey wrote:
MD wrote:Anything nature related that I have not yet experienced. It's a fairly short list: arctic/antarctic, Deep desert/oasis, Barrier reefs/coral reefs shallow diving, active volcanoes, deep topical rain forests.

The next list includes pyramids, taj, Parthenon, and other human antiquities like the yucatan and south east asia stuff

The deep interior of Asia intrigues me. Upper mongolia and the Gobi. not sure what's there but that's what draws my attention.

Old Europe might be ok after that.

Long bucket list. I doubt I will check many off, but will be happy to experience each and every one I can manage

I like nature, history, modern,foods and weird
Ive seen most of the national parks in the US and Australia and quite a few in Asia and Europe too
I've been to nearly every pyramid, temple, religious site I can get too.
Been to nearly every historic town Ive heard off in Europe.
Ive eaten the speciality of nearly everywhere Ive been
Im interested in seeing the weird in Vegas and Japan.
I also like to catch a few more trains Ive gone through a bit of Europe on a train Italy France and England
Ive also travelled a bit in Egypt by train
I would love to go from Beijing to Madrid by train but maybe start in Singapore and then go to Bangkok a bus through Cambodia to Ho Chi Mon City and start again to Bejing.
Would also like to rent a place in a village in Spain Portugal France Italy or Malta and just explore and immerse myself in the local culture.

good stuff. I would happily do any of that. i'm old though. I will happily take on any adventure that presents itself, at this point. "all we have to decide is what to do with the time we have". paraphrased from JRRT
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:03:16

I hate trains, always have. Spent my career working around them. Big, smelly, dangerous. Damn near killed me. Even on the boat I hear them too frequently.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:11:09

Is the Orient Express still running? If so that would be an interesting trip
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 12:29:05

Newfie wrote:I hate trains, always have. Spent my career working around them. Big, smelly, dangerous. Damn near killed me. Even on the boat I hear them too frequently.

That explains why you never joined the Train fan group I invited you too LOL.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 22:17:06

The Haul road, the longest day of the year, heading north and gaining altitude into Atigun pass and on to the Beaufort Sea.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 19:03:31

onlooker wrote:Is the Orient Express still running? If so that would be an interesting trip

Yes, but its bloody expensive and you are really paying to not meet the locals and hang out with rich white tourists.
So not that interested using my limited funds on that, unless it was a gift.
Theres other flash trains in India and Singapore that cost a fortune too.
I like the real trains with locals on them.
This is a good website of every train in the world,cost, tickets, timetables, etc.
https://www.seat61.com/

Major thing I try to avoid is too many other tourist when travelling,although its nearly impossible.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 19:51:47

Just got back to Antigua Guatemala from Panajachel Guatemala. I wasn't able to upload a pic of the beautiful Lake Atitlan that I just visited, but I included a link to a photo gallery. I mostly stay at my wife's parent's home in Antigua for an inexpensive vacation. A lot of young travelers from Europe and the States come here for a cultural experience, but that is it.

The food is so fantastic here. It just tastes good. There is enough of a mix of Hispanic and European culture in Antigua and of Native Mayan and Hispanic culture in Panajachel to make it very interesting to just hang out here.

I guess Americans generally would be put off by the simplicity of living bordering on squalor that is present. For a Doomer, it is a great experience and is actually not bad at all. Drinking a Gallo beer while eating their delicious toritillas with guacamole is a lot closer to being in heaven than to experiencing any sort of doom.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pics+lake+atitlan+guatemala&id=A044042D1F165A4107FA5247D68E8496D9524970&FORM=IQFRBA
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 18:42:54

JD

Years ago we drove by Lago Peten itzan on our trip to Tikal. Beautiful. Staying in Tikal I realized that our 2 bed room cottage, with 3 meals cost us about $32,000/year, if you extended it out. That made me feel better.

Hopefully next year we get some time in Guatemala.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion