Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

gps tracking

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: gps tracking

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 09:04:41

Cog wrote:
Ibon wrote:
Cog wrote:Don't worry, be happy. If you are being spied upon its for your own good.

A weird comment from someone who hates government and values his individual liberty.

I'm trying to interject a bit of humor here with a person who is having a crisis of sorts, in order to get him to open up about it. This is not about walking, it's about escaping an unpleasant situation.

Now MD doesn't have share what is but he is troubled about something.

Fair enough. The degree to which MD recognizes and internalizes the dysfunction he sees around him and his desire to do something about it actually is the exact way to avoid a crisis. He is showing symptoms of being awake. The real crisis are among those who are sleepwalking every day and are content with mediocrity.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 09:16:09

MD,

I’ve no experience with this but I know many Cruisers use a SPOT device for just the reasons you stated. GPS tracking and emergency communications.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=102

https://www.findmespot.com/en/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 14:41:37

MD wrote:odds are: nothing. life isn't a hollywood drama, with cliche plot lines, but the youngsters have been brainwashed into thinking it is.

Good to know that there are no bad guys in the world. No would be robbers or worse, who might get an advantage from being able to track people. :roll :
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 15:28:26

MD wrote:this should be easy. I just want my gf to be able to follow me as I travel.

There is a free app built into Apple IOS that does this very nicely. Its called "Find Friends."

It uses the same technology that Apple has in the "Find my Iphone" app, except instead of locating a lost iPhone it locates your friends (or your own) iPhone in real time as you travel around with it.

how to set up and use "find my friends" on IOS

The app is set up so you control which individual is "following" you. They have to send you a request to "friend" you and you have to agree and set your phone to allow "following" by that individual. If you don't like then you can turn it off with a simple click on the iPhone. I've used it for years with no problems.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 16:06:21

As long as you have phone service.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 16:15:40

Plantagenet wrote:The app is set up so you control which individual is "following" you. They have to send you a request to "friend" you and you have to agree and set your phone to allow "following" by that individual. If you don't like then you can turn it off with a simple click on the iPhone. I've used it for years with no problems.

Cheers!

This sounds terrific. As long as the user being tracked can control WHO gets to track them, then IMO, it's fine. It's when the folks who own the GPS equipment will sell your location data to anyone who will pay that I have concerns. (Or if they don't secure the data with good encryption, etc. so hackers can steal it).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 17 Jan 2019, 16:18:03

Newfie wrote:As long as you have phone service.

Yup. Definitely not something a cruiser-live-aboard can use at sea, but very useful for most people in most common situations. Works just about everywhere in the US, Europe, Asia, etc.

AND the locations come up on the iPhone with a satellite photo background. I often use the "Find Friends" app just to get a satellite photo of the area I'm in, as it also shows your own exact locations. So if I'm wandering around in Malta or Hvar or Venice or just about anywhere, I can call up an air photo showing exactly where I am, and I can zoom in to see streets, buildings etc. or zoom out to see the whole city or region or island.

AND its free. Did I mention it is FREE!

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion