Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Monster bumper harvests in Zambia, Namibia, Malawi

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Monster bumper harvests in Zambia, Namibia, Malawi

Unread postby Zardoz » Tue 23 May 2006, 19:39:52

Jack wrote:As recently as 1940, in rural areas of the U.S., it was considered a great treat to get a single orange for Christmas. Likewise, a banana or two would be cut up and shared by a family - it was a costly treat, available only in a large city.

That's absolutely true. My mom used to tell me stories like that, and worse, all the time. It was an acceptable fact of life. It did not reflect hardship. It was normal for everybody.

The cornucopia was not in operation until we started burning oil with a vengeance sometime later.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rwwff » Tue 23 May 2006, 21:44:04

Jack wrote:I think, given the reality of the past, that you may be overly optimistic.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Try not to expect anything in particular.
rwwff
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 23 May 2006, 21:50:52

Fortunately, bananas and citrus can be grown in subtropical areas or in greenhouses by regular folks (or a community greenhouse) so we needn't necessarily go without. :)
Ludi

Unread postby green_achers » Wed 24 May 2006, 01:02:41

I still don't know what you mean by "bare minimum carrying capacity."

I mean the amount that can be supported in a very bad year. A year in which most of the crops fail. One of the reasons that we have a lot less starvation in the world right now is that an area that is having a poor year can trade some wealth generated in good years for staples from a more fortunate area. I don't see this as a bad thing. It's just mitigating risks.
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rwwff » Wed 24 May 2006, 08:20:52

green_achers wrote:

I mean the amount that can be supported in a very bad year. A year in which most of the crops fail. One of the reasons that we have a lot less starvation in the world right now is that an area that is having a poor year can trade some wealth generated in good years for staples from a more fortunate area. I don't see this as a bad thing. It's just mitigating risks.

One thing to keep in mind is that humans have for a very long time, known how to store havested food for more than a year. Whether thats dried corn, husked rice, dried beans, fish in a pond, canning and preserves, or in our more recent history by freezing. A garden of just a couple acres can easily outstrip a large families ability to consume what it grows; if they have access to a chest freezer along with the more traditional storage methods they could survive a pair of really bad years back to back without suffering to terribly. If they have adequate rice stored and protected, that time frame could grow by several more years.
rwwff
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 24 May 2006, 08:38:05

green_achers wrote:

No, you're wrong. Supporting overly large populations in unproductive areas causes famine to recur, it does not prevent it.

As I pointed out, nobody knows the carrying capacity of areas using appropriate agricultural techniques. Those being used currently typically lower the productivity of the area significantly. I'd explain more about this but this isn't a thread about agricultural techniques.

If you really want to know about this issue, please read Bill Mollison's "Permaculture: a designer's manual" which discusses destructive agricultural techniques and how to reverse their damage. I'll see if I can find some shorter resources, maybe some online you can read.
Ludi

Unread postby green_achers » Thu 25 May 2006, 01:33:02

rwwff wrote:
green_achers wrote:I mean the amount that can be supported in a very bad year.

One thing to keep in mind is that humans have for a very long time, known how to store havested food for more than a year.

OK, make that five very bad years.
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby green_achers » Thu 25 May 2006, 01:40:01

Ludi wrote:
green_achers wrote:No, you're wrong. Supporting overly large populations in unproductive areas causes famine to recur, it does not prevent it.

As I pointed out, nobody knows the carrying capacity of areas using appropriate agricultural techniques. Those being used currently typically lower the productivity of the area significantly. I'd explain more about this but this isn't a thread about agricultural techniques.

If you really want to know about this issue, please read Bill Mollison's "Permaculture: a designer's manual" which discusses destructive agricultural techniques and how to reverse their damage. I'll see if I can find some shorter resources, maybe some online you can read.

Jeez, this is getting tedious. Not sure what we're arguing about anymore. Now, what exactly do you mean by "overly large populations?"

Once again, I am not arguing that post-peak trade is going to be able to maintain current world population. But if you think the world is simply going to collapse down to a bare minimum of population (see my definition above) just because there is no cheap oil available or because someone thinks it's more "sustainable", you don't know much about human nature.

BTW, I am familiar with permaculture. I have read at Mollison's books (can't say I know either of the main ones by heart) and had a pretty successful permaculture garden when I lived in California. I'm now doing the work of discovering what permaculture means in Mississippi.
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Frozen-Stick » Sat 27 May 2006, 09:45:32

My opinion is that we can feed more people than today and even with more amount for every one with the best techniques possible that already are discovered and available.

Here is a good link for the comparison between conventional and organic agriculture:

"Organic Agriculture Fights Back"
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/OrganicAgriculture.php

The problem for a farmer who does conventional farming is, that it needs about three to five years of transition to get almost similar results in harvest. But this results are belonging to good years for conventional farming. If there is a very wet or a very dry year the organic cultivated land has still a bearable loss in harvest (still a profit because prices are going up because of the lack of products).

Along the Niger (it's not the Nile but has also a lot of water) in Africa where almost nothing is growing but sand and desert e.g. people could plant trees and crops together (i've seen a documentation about the businesses along the river which were caused by a big ship wich regular drives up and down the river transporting people and goods) which can support mutual themselves and so could harvest wood and vegetables and fruits .
Frozen-Stick
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 27 May 2006, 09:53:24

I'm arguing that using trade in staple foods to support populations larger than the local ecosystem can support is a bad idea.

I think we're talking past each other so I'm going to stop trying to explain my position, because I can't do it well.

If you've read Mollison then you actually do know what I'm talking about because I'm saying what he is saying, really pretty much going with the permaculture philosophy.

If I can find an actual Mollison quote that sums up my position, I'll post it, because he is a better communicator than I am. It sucks not being able to communicate well, but there it is. That's why I keep promoting these various books, because they say what I'm not able to.
Ludi

Unread postby Frozen-Stick » Sun 28 May 2006, 16:33:17

Hi Ludi,
Sorry for the eventual misunderstanding, but I didn't say anything about transportation of foods or overpopulation. I just wanted to say something about the amount of food which can be produced in comparison to the number of people which are already living or will live in the next years no matter where they live.

I didn't read Mollison till today, but as soon as i can afford it, i will buy this book.
There is an Austrian farmer, about 60 years old, who follows the same principles as Mollison, who knows Joe Polaischer from the Rainbow Valley Farm in New Zealand, and he is even today fighting against bureaucracy in the EU with respect of conventional farming. He is called the "Rebel of the Alps". His first book was "The agrarian rebel". I do have his second book "Permaculture".

Yes there will be very big problems coming for many countries when peak oil really is going to hurt the businesses. For example Japan will surely have to import food even if they stop consuming meat (you need a lot of staple food to feed a cow).
And in times of even more and faster degradation of soils respectively desertification of huge amount of lands the politics of many nations can't be understood.
China also could surely get problems with the supply of his population. Every year it has to import more food, in the moment from Australia, i think. So a lot of countries in this region will get problems.
But if for example the mass production of cars, of entertainment electronics, mass production of tins resp. cans and glass jars is reduced to the minimum and more efficient power saving techniques are introduced etc. , things will look more easily i think.
All the people who worked in the mentioned industries has to be transferred to the food "industries".

With the continously growing installation of windpower plants, of biomass utilities and more and more solar powered plants the basic energy needs all over the world should be reached.
Another big factor is the production of palm-tree oil in the tropic regions. You get a lot of oil per hectare in this areas (e.g. in Brazil where is still enough land left where ecological planted palm-trees can deliver a lot of biological energy) with this sort of tree after several years.
So this energy can be used to distribute food surplusses from "food growing countries" to the rest of the world.
Birth control is already a big and even a growing problem.

I read the book of John Seymour "The new book about farm life" (i don't know the correct title). And i read an online book in german called "The last chance - for a future without need" from Annie Francé-Harrar the women of a famous biologist (Raoul Heinrich Francé).
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/france.pierre/

Here is the link to this very good book, which is now only available through the Web-Archive, because of too much advertising on a german forum for the original link :lol:. I don't know how long this book (without pictures) will be there, but i hope for lot of years more. There is unfortunately a problem: The text has a lot of mistakes and missing parts because i think the text was scanned automatically from an old version of this book and never revised.
With the help of Google-translation-tools you should get at least a good survey of the contents:
"Die letzte Chance" (The last chance; with table of contents)"
web.archive.org/web/20050305223610/http://www.regenwurm.de/fr001.htm

Here you can read revised parts of it:
http://wiki25.parsimony.net/cgi-bin/wik ... iki63512;1
The parts in the list are beginning with "Gedanken Zum Humus"
On one page you can see which revised documents are available (signed with *).

I learned really a lot more about european history which i never heard in school. For example that Hungary was once one of the countries which fed all the europeans with it's opulent production of wheat (now you have vast areas of steppe). No wonder it was a monarchy in the Middle Ages.
This book explained to me why the Romans had to import food into Italy and why so many ancient ports are now lying a lot of miles away from the coast. Why Spain has so much deserts (it wasn't only because of the Armada but also because of building more and more houses which many times burned down and had to be rebuild, which was not only a Spanish phenomenon. European cities were built always very tight and so fires spreaded out like hell. Reforestation or sustainability was a really unknown word in this times) and why so many europeans had to emigrate to America (really bad agricultural techniques, when nobody knew something about fertilizers and the bad results for the soil and the supply of water of cutting trees in vast areas without reforestations).

This book describes also that Japan had an era of about two hundred years ("The Tokugawa shogunate or Tokugawa bakufu (徳川幕府) (also known as the Edo bakufu) was a feudal military dictatorship of Japan established in 1603 by Tokugawa Ieyasu and ruled by the shoguns of the Tokugawa family until 1868. This period is known as the Edo period and gets its name from the capital city of Edo, now Tokyo. "; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokugawa_shogunate).
During this era the Shogun (Princes) led a regime with a very strict birth-control. They gave certain medicine to the people which enhanced the erotical feeling but at the same time reduced their fertility.
So the population numbers remained stable in about two hundred years and so there were also no showdowns with its neighbours or its population. The book says that because of the energy of christian missionarys the national concepts were undermined and the overwhelming military power of the Occident broke the power of the Shoguns for ever. And shortly after that, the birth-rate grew rapidly and the need for wars arose again.

A funny thing is that neither the english nor the german version of the Tokugawa-Shogunate is telling something about the most important factor of birth control as the cause of the peaceful and blowing culture in Japan.
There is only a description of a politic of isolation together with a strict and established order which could not be seriously challenged by noumerous internal confrontations between peasants and samurais.
I wonder if the situation in Irak will go on for 200 years by a strict and established order? :evil:
Frozen-Stick
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Hoplite2 » Mon 29 May 2006, 22:13:57

One thing that many Anglos don't fully comprehend about the "african" experience is this: It is very common for a black farmer in Africa to consider one years "bumper" crop as as a perfectly good reason not to grow anything the following season. Obviously, what that means is that subsequent years tend to be very Spartan... (look for really bad famines next year- MARK MY WORDS!

Ask any white farmer from Rhodesia about this phenomenae- oh wait they're all dead...

--Hoplite2 (he of UNLIMITED IP's)
Hoplite2
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Africa Discussion