Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Glacier Thread (merged)

Re: Antarctic ice shelf breaking up in dead of winter

Unread postby AgentR » Sun 13 Jul 2008, 18:12:53

Forney2008 wrote:I believe the reason the AGW crowd has said there is no debate needed is because it is occurring and needs stopped.

There will be no "stopping" GW.
That boat left a while ago.

Adapt or die.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 14 Jul 2008, 05:52:21

AgentR wrote:Adapt or die.

So we're going to have to learn to breathe hydrogen sulfide?
mos6507

Unread postby AgentR » Mon 14 Jul 2008, 08:42:06

mos6507 wrote:
AgentR wrote:Adapt or die.

So we're going to have to learn to breathe hydrogen sulfide?

Note the... "or die" part.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Giant chunks break off Canadian ice shelf

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 00:22:56

Oh, but it's all just part of the natural cycles, right?

Cracks had been earlier found on Ward Hunt; 'more could go' this summer

Giant sheets of ice totaling almost eight square miles broke off an ice shelf in the Canadian Arctic last week and more could follow later this year, scientists said on Tuesday.

In a development consistent with climate change theories, the enormous icy plain broke free sometime last week and began slowly drifting into the Arctic Ocean. The piece had been a part of the shelf for 3,000 years.

...Ellesmere Island was once home to a single enormous ice shelf totaling around 3,500 square miles. All that is left of that shelf today are five much smaller shelves that together cover just under 400 square miles.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Re: Giant chunks break off Canadian ice shelf

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 00:33:02

Bah, is the effect of the underwater volcanoes, sun's regular cycles, and cows' farting and burping, all wrapped together, nothing to do with climate change.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby coyote » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 00:59:17

I thought the name sounded familiar. The Ward Hunt is on Ellesmere Island, right next to the Ayles ice shelf that split off a few years ago and formed that ice island the size of Manhattan.

Methinks this island will lose more, perhaps eventually all. Conjecture.

Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 01:00:32

eXpat wrote:Bah, is the effect of the underwater volcanoes, sun's regular cycles, and cows' farting and burping, all wrapped together, nothing to do with climate change.

Mr. Ostrich, is that you ?
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GregWatson » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 02:48:56

coyote wrote:Methinks this island will lose more, perhaps eventually all

Me thinks there is now many kms of open water lapping at the pole side face of those ice selfs.
link

Greg
GregWatson
Coal
Coal

Unread postby joewp » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 02:52:39

Armageddon wrote:
eXpat wrote:Bah, is the effect of the underwater volcanoes, sun's regular cycles, and cows' farting and burping, all wrapped together, nothing to do with climate change.

Nah, that's Mr. Sarcasm.

Or so I hope, right???
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 07:36:29

coyote wrote:I thought the name sounded familiar. The Ward Hunt is on Ellesmere Island, right next to the Ayles ice shelf that split off a few years ago and formed that ice island the size of Manhattan. Methinks this island will lose more, perhaps eventually all. Conjecture.

I have absolutely no data to conjecture, but a logical feedback system says that, as that ice melts, it reflects less energy back outside the atmosphere, and methane (greenhouse effect gas) that was melted is released, making it worse. Perhaps the curbing of usage of oil will help some here? Or is it too little yet? :cry:
Environmental News and Clippings:
http://www.google.co.uk/reader/shared/1 ... 4898696533
Environmental Economics and Systems
http://enviroecon.wordpress.com/
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ProudFossil » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 08:57:18

Give me a break.

Eight square miles is gigantic? We have had four forest fires within the last nine months that were bigger than eight square miles within ten miles of our house. Maybe all that smoke raised the world's temperature enough to melt all that ENORMOUS ice sheet.

That is like the Democrats claiming that drilling in ANWR will ruin the planet.
ProudFossil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby coyote » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 09:45:11

CarlosFerreira wrote:Perhaps the curbing of usage of oil will help some here? Or is it too little yet? :cry:

That is the big question, isn't it? Whether peak oil will help or hurt the warming situation. Balance decreased emissions from oil against: probable increased emissions from coal; reversal of global dimming; and today's CO2 remaining in the atmosphere for decades. Who knows? Knife's edge.
Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive...
coyote
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby ProudFossil » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 09:46:05

Isn't Mother Nature wonderful. You lose eight square miles of Canada, you get eight square miles of Bangladesh.

I am referring to the two adjacent news articles, the first claiming disaster because eight square miles have dropped of Canada and the next one saying Bangladesh as grown by eight square miles.

Is this a result of the physical property that energy (in the form of mass) can never be lost? This also is against the mantra of algore that the oceans will rise 20 feet. Eight square miles of ice melt and yet Bangladesh is now higher out of the water? Give me a break.
ProudFossil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby eXpat » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 09:49:13

joewp wrote:
Armageddon wrote:

Nah, that's Mr. Sarcasm. Or so I hope, right???

Right you are there, sarcasm big time :).
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 09:51:17

ProudFossil wrote:Isn't Mother Nature wonderful. You lose eight square miles of Canada, you get eight square miles of Bangladesh.
I am referring to the two adjacent news articles, the first claiming disaster because eight square miles have dropped of Canada and the next one saying Bangladesh as grown by eight square miles.
Is this a result of the physical property that energy (in the form of mass) can never be lost? This also is against the mantra of algore that the oceans will rise 20 feet. Eight square miles of ice melt and yet Bangladesh is now higher out of the water? Give me a break.

Hmmm, interesting fact. I wonder how did that happen?

The fact that we're depleting forest can't be helping in with the CO2 extraction from the atmosphere. On the other hand, more water absorbs more CO2, or so I heard somewhere.
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 11:39:26

ProudFossil wrote:Give me a break.

That ice is 3000 years old. That's the significance of it.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ProudFossil » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 11:52:21

Zardoz wrote:
ProudFossil wrote:Give me a break.

That ice is 3000 years old. That's the significance of it.

The area now called Bagladesh is several million years old. That is the significance of it. And the article says that growth is annual not a once in a 3,000 year event. Seems to me there is more of a trend in an anuual growth than once in a 3,000 year event.

Concentration for May 1980 and May 2008 (See Important Update below) From the National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado. Note that the total is 10.9 million square kilometers for both years. All the while CO2 levels have gone up.

At the other side of the planet the Antarctic is still experiencing record ice. Since 1980 total ice concentration is up 35% and ice extent is up 21%.

The last time I used my calculator 20 square kilometers (8 square miles) is about WHOOPS!!!! my calculator cannot handle that small of a percentage. Sorry about that. Anyway we are doomed I guess.

8 square miles, BFD.
ProudFossil
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:20:10

Trolls are out roaming again.

You can't even spell "Bagladesh." How likely is it that you really know anything about it? And wtf does it have to do with the Arctic?

Anyone who has spent a few moments looking into it and thinking about it would know that total ice is being lost in the Antarctic, but most of the loss is happening underwater. Either you know this and are misrepresenting the data deliberately, or you do not know it and are just an idiot aping the latest from Rush Limbaugh.

Either way, I have no more time for you.

Best of luck in your denialist state. Every major established scientific body in the world who has weighed in on the question has determined that that rapid recent increase in global warming is a major threat and is caused by humans.

You are a Japaniese soldier stranded on a remote island of the Pacific still fighting WWII. Get a life.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 12:55:40

CarlosFerreira wrote: Perhaps the curbing of usage of oil will help some here? Or is it too little yet? :cry:

What curbing of oil usage?
Ludi

Unread postby CarlosFerreira » Wed 30 Jul 2008, 13:01:45

Ludi wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote: Perhaps the curbing of usage of oil will help some here? Or is it too little yet? :cry:

What curbing of oil usage?

Any curbing, I guess. Less personal transportation as we're seeing in Portugal and (there's stats out there), the US. I know it's just a few percent, but a decrease in usage is better than an increase. Perhaps the cuts in China because of the Olympics can help too.

Maybe I'm just being cornucopian about GW. Sorry if I was feeding the troll.
CarlosFerreira
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate