Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why America Is Headed For A Depression

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Why America Is Headed For A Depression

Unread postby Newbtrader » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:22:24

Roccland wrote:I see word at TF is spreading.

This is good.

Naw bro...I play like karl playz...dirty...cheap shots...etc.

Others here are more ...ummm...articulate...

Me...I'll just tell ya to shut the fvck up - like now.

I don't have a problem with rude. Afterall, I'm not the one to get my panties in a bunch. Stupid, however, I have a problem with. It seems like you got that one down!

PS: The little whiney babies that got their A$$es booted off TF need to stop crying like little whiney b!tches. You guys are pathetic. You knew the rules, and you got the boot. Too many losers can't take responsibility for their screw ups.. seems like you guys are no different than the "woe is me" homeowners. :lol:
Last edited by Newbtrader on Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:24:07, edited 1 time in total.
Newbtrader
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:23:54

Newbtrader wrote:

This is good.

I don't have a problem with rude. Afterall, I'm not the one to get my panties in a bunch. Stupid, however, I have a problem with. It seems like you got that one down!

Chick fight............
vision-master

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:25:24

Newbtrader wrote:

This is good.

Yep - stupid ...that's me.

And what was your point?...cuz ya see bro...there are 20,000 registered users here...10% are really smart...and 10% of them are like geniuses...

They pick up where I leave off...

I got ya in here...

So how stupid am I...?

Bwhhahahahahahahahhahahah!!!
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:27:14

vision-master wrote:
Newbtrader wrote:

This is good.

Chick fight............

Pic-a-steph...is that you?
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:28:31

Roccland wrote:
vision-master wrote:
Newbtrader wrote:

This is good.

Chick fight............

Did you want to add anything new to the discussion now or are you just blowing off some steam?
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:31:04

basil_hayden wrote:
Roccland wrote:
vision-master wrote:
Newbtrader wrote:

This is good.

Chick fight............

Did you want to add anything new to the discussion now or are you just blowing off some steam?

See NewbTrader...Basil here is one of the really smart ones at PO...

He comes up with super original stuff most all the time.

Huh Basil?
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Target2012 » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:37:44

Roccland is an Idiot. Just read his posts.

Sure he is entertaining. But go ahead and dismiss much of what he types.
Target2012
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:41:12

Target2012 wrote:Roccland is an Idiot. Just read his posts.

Sure he is entertaining. But go ahead and dismiss much of what he types.

Speaking of idiots...

Karl agin...

I frankly don't give a fuck if we get $100/bbl oil tomorrow. Why? Because I can afford it, and the Greenies, most of whom are academics and otherwise underachievers, will be the ones who are squealing the loudest, especially when we tell all the inner city folk who just saw their heating bill double who's responsible.

All those fine folk will take care of the Greenies...... we'll have plenty of fuel - them.
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:44:25

The same NewbTrader at TF?

Inquiring minds what to know...

So whatz it gonna be NBT...to peak or not to peak...that is the question...

Careful how you answer that - your master is watching and you may lose your gold star...

From NewbTrader at TF:

Very interesting posts in this thread. I think it will be very interesting to watch what happens over the next 5-10 yrs. Not only is our economy in a pile of shit, but we definetly consume alot of energy. I think diesel will become very popular again in the US, but it looks like it's going to come late.

Regarding the "energy crisis" that's exactly what it's going to take for the government to actually do anything unfortunately. I'm a believer in the concept of peak oil, and if we continue on our path we undoubtedly will experience some very ugly times. I just hope something is done before it's too late.
Last edited by Roccland on Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:45:53, edited 1 time in total.
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newbtrader » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:45:45

Thanks, I came to that assessment myself after reading only a few posts. I see why he got the boot from TF.. he runs his mouth and can't stick to the topic at hand. I apologize myself, and will ignore him from here on out.

I have lurked on here and just finally felt the need to register. Anyway.. BigTex pretty much summed up my stance throughout this thread. If we're talking about the state of the US economy. I think we will fair "pretty well" in relation to the rest of the world because we have a very high standard of living, and plenty of excesses to cut out. No question the upcoming recession/depression will be painful, but I'm not seeing a systemic collapse. The tinfoil hat crowd say the evil global bankers are all working together to inflate our way out, but why would they choose hyperinflation? That devalues all their money/loans/etc. With deflation, they get the assets/higher valued money. Also, why didn't they "hyperinflate" and prevent the GD?

The hyperinflation folks are dead wrong because the US/Europe/etc. slowing down means a global slowdown. Decoupling is a fantasy. Deleveraging/Demand destruction = deflation. Simple as that. I think this commodities bull market is dead. Guess we'll see over the coming months.. but I remember gold bugs screaming for $1600 gold this yr. That seems like a distant thought right now.
Newbtrader
Wood
Wood

Unread postby MadScientist » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:50:06

Newbtrader wrote:
Thanks, I came to that assessment myself after reading only a few posts. I see why he got the boot from TF.. he runs his mouth and can't stick to the topic at hand. I apologize myself, and will ignore him from here on out.
I have lurked on here and just finally felt the need to register. Anyway.. BigTex pretty much summed up my stance throughout this thread. If we're talking about the state of the US economy. I think we will fair "pretty well" in relation to the rest of the world because we have a very high standard of living, and plenty of excesses to cut out. No question the upcoming recession/depression will be painful, but I'm not seeing a systemic collapse. The tinfoil hat crowd say the evil global bankers are all working together to inflate our way out, but why would they choose hyperinflation? That devalues all their money/loans/etc. With deflation, they get the assets/higher valued money. Also, why didn't they "hyperinflate" and prevent the GD?
The hyperinflation folks are dead wrong because the US/Europe/etc. slowing down means a global slowdown. Decoupling is a fantasy. Deleveraging/Demand destruction = deflation. Simple as that. I think this commodities bull market is dead. Guess we'll see over the coming months.. but I remember gold bugs screaming for $1600 gold this yr. That seems like a distant thought right now.

worthy assessment. welcome to the forum.
"The future power is manpower"
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby shortonoil » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:54:40

kdenninger said:
The reason for that repeated request is that I and a few others had actually taken the time to put together and run mathematical models of the fractional-reserve system "as practiced" in the current world, and while those models showed the possibility of an implosion, they refuted the certainty of same.

This is very interesting Karl. Can you provide the algorithm used or a link to a similar source. Also, could you expand on what is meant by “as practiced”? Are you referring to reserve requirements?

I see no immediate intrinsic reason why a fractional reserve banking system should implode as a result of its own functions (if mismanaged it could). They have been operating since at least the mid 1500s. Are you sure Nothing wasn’t discussing a debt based fiat currency with a fractional reserve system? That is a combination ripe with potential catastrophes!
Thanks-
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 16:59:46

And this putz it all in perspective...

Karl thinks that if the price of oil goes up ....more oil in the ground can be recovered...

I think someone was taking a nap during the EROEI class...
There is quite a bit of oil that is recoverable at $100/bbl that is not economically recoverable at $70, and so on up the line. So we're not exactly about to run out, although the price will rise precipitously.

from here
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 17:40:49

Roccland said:
I think someone was taking a nap during the EROEI class...

The concept of ERoEI and its ramifications are not an easy one to master. That is why I am basically pessimistic about PO. It is quite unlikely that a problem can be solved if you can’t recognize the problem to begin with!

The problem is not oil, we have 4.5 trillion barrels of the stuff (150 year supply at our present usage rate). The problem is how much energy can be extracted from it, and that is a concept that most people appear to be unable to grasp.

Most people can not get passed the idea that it requires energy to produce energy. That the more energy you use to produce it, the less energy you have remaining. At that point in the lecture, their faces freeze up, their brains shut down and you have moronic zombies staring at you. Throw in a little about the economic relationship between energy and the production of non-energy goods and services, and 99% of them have gone catatonic.

Don’t worry Roccland, the ones that weren’t asleep before they arrived, are likely to be soon afterwards! Available Energy
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby threadbear » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 18:13:32

MadScientist wrote:
threadbear wrote:If you cant tolerate the international super atomic wedgie that is about to be inflicted upon you
lol good one. Guess in all my years on the internet i've been too ignorant to notice the massive organized efforts to take down the US. Care to provide some sort of link pretaining to said superwedgie? IMO a US depression will likely be AS BAD or worse for your country.

Well for starters, heed China's recent warning that it will discontinue buying treasuries and start a massive dump of it's accumulated pile of US money, if the US doesn't start having some respect for other nations.

Russia's implicit threat of tightening their oil spigot, running the price of oil up to bring the US down. (thanks Aremegeddon)

Etc..etc...All of these reactions would be acts of desparation that would have serious destabilizing effects for their own countries, but it is looking like it may be necessary, particularly if the neo-cons continue their military adventurism and interferance in other countries and economies. If McCain gets in, be very afraid. Russia could easily press the economic trigger.

That my friend is a super atomic wedgie you don't want to have to endure. And it just may be out of your hands, as the (s)elections seem to be underway.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MadScientist » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 19:22:37

of course you know im expecting a whole helluva lot worse than a depression so...bring it on. I'd be happy to see America take a wedgie and step the fuk up as a people.

Military adventurism? I was expecting to see F-16s rollin over Tblisi last week. The whole Eurasian control strategy is not exactly being carried through anymore.

The US has a lot of fat to trim. If you think Europe, or anyone, is gonna come out ahead of the US thru a russian "economic trigger" event.... we're all intertwined. face it. Why are US borders locked down?

which is why you cant give any serious evidence to this "global conspiracy" to take out the US.
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby threadbear » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 19:32:58

MadScientist wrote:of course you know im expecting a whole helluva lot worse than a depression so...bring it on. I'd be happy to see America take a wedgie and step the fuk up as a people. Military adventurism? I was expecting to see F-16s rollin over Tblisi last week. The whole Eurasian control strategy is not exactly being carried through anymore.
The US has a lot of fat to trim. If you think Europe, or anyone, is gonna come out ahead of the US thru a russian "economic trigger" event.. we're all intertwined. face it. Why are US borders locked down? which is why you cant give any serious evidence to this "global conspiracy" to take out the US.

You were the one who used the term "conspiracy". I didn't even infer it.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MadScientist » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 19:41:18

threadbear wrote: It is not up to us to play suck up to the retarded bully on the playground who steals everyone's lunch. If you can't tolerate the international super atomic wedgie that is about to be inflicted upon you, keep reading the reader's digest, and don't read anything open to the international community.

I took that to mean you believe some sort of international retribution is in planning. Since there's no evidence of that, it must be a conspiracy...
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Roccland » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 19:52:18

MadScientist wrote:
threadbear wrote: It is not up to us to play suck up to the retarded bully on the playground who steals everyone's lunch. If you can't tolerate the international super atomic wedgie that is about to be inflicted upon you, keep reading the reader's digest, and don't read anything open to the international community.

I took that to mean you believe some sort of international retribution is in planning. Since there's no evidence of that, it must be a conspiracy...

Well MS - seeing as how you were so quick to jump on board the Karl and Krony band wagon a few posts up...why don't you read what your master has to say about some type of international retribution plan...
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MadScientist » Fri 22 Aug 2008, 20:06:22

Roccland wrote:
MadScientist wrote:
Well MS - seeing as how you were so quick to jump on board the Karl and Krony band wagon a few posts up...why don't you read what your master has to say about some type of international retribution plan...

you've been spouting off stupidity this whole thread rocc. some of us might be more interested in our new members positive, and interesting contributions.

I mean they stand way above russian propagandists, cornucopians, and dieoffalterego_01 imo.
MadScientist
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance