Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

RIP: Lehmans Holdings Inc

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: If Lehman collapses expect a run ...Roubini

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:05:36

seahorse2 wrote:The sheeple got "sidetracked" by that mere Cat 2 Hurricane Ike in the Gulf, when there is a Cat 10 financial hurricane hitting NY as we speak.

At this point what would you have the sheeple do?
mos6507

Re: Fear is back on the menu boyz and girlz - LEHMAN BROTHER

Unread postby static66 » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:12:02

I just got a call from my broker in NY, he said the shit is hitting the
fan first thing tomorrow... the Dubai express is supposedly riding in to the rescue of LAYMAN BROS. and the deal is that they are going to own the rest of the shadow-bankers lock stock and smoking gun.
The reverse switch under is under way.... bomb all you want, they own the government now. Hold onto your hats.
"The word statistics originated in the German STATISTIKS, "State Arithmetic."
static66
Peat
Peat

Re: Fear is back on the menu boyz and girlz - LEHMAN BROTHER

Unread postby hironegro » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:14:00

Don't worry guys!
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:16:27

TheDoctor wrote:
Tapas wrote:
shortonoil wrote:In taking over F&F the US government blew up its debt by $5.3 trillion. That pushed the US debt level to almost the GDP of the country. Once the US goes over that GDP number, most likely it will lose its AAA credit rating. It has already been warned by the BIS.

If the US, which holds the world’s reserve currency, loses is pristine credit rating the whole world falls apart! Insurance, pension funds, the dollar, the whole shebang goes!

Thanks shortonoil. You have explained the crux of the problem! It's a tailspin from here.

According to the CIA Factbook the GDP of the USA was $13.84 Trillion (2007 estimate).

Our National Debt with the inclusion of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac now exceeds our GDP.

We are toast :P

I just love this "F&F takeover = $5 trillion more government debt" being tauted at so many doomer sites. Things are bad, but not that bad, at least not yet. F&F are no where near completely insolvent. They have some of the better quality mortgage debt out there. They will not likely cost the taxpayers anywhere near $5T, and certainly their takeover has not cost that yet, so the National Debt does NOT yet exceed GDP. The USD has a bit more life left in her. My expectations for the next 5-10 years are for slow economic and social decline/collapse with high inflation (but not hyperinflation).

INFLATION bawhahahah!!!! over the next 5-10 years??? Who are the banks going to lend to, unemeployed endebted Joe Six-Packs??

PA-LEASE!!!!!
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Lehman is GOING DOWN

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:22:58

I think that's quite surprising they're in the process of letting lehman fail. So now they can chop the firm into pieces for other major institutions to absorb on the cheap. All under the rhetoric that they're not "bailing out" anymore.

Glad I got out of there a few months ago!
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Lehman dead, Merrill to be aquired by B of A

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 20:23:09

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. prepared to file for bankruptcy after Barclays Plc and Bank of America Corp. abandoned talks to buy the U.S. securities firm and Wall Street prepared for its possible liquidation.

Lehman and its lawyers are getting ready to file the documents for bankruptcy protection tonight, said a person with direct knowledge of the firm's plans.
link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 22:41:59

Bank of America to buy Merrill for $29 a share: report
Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:11pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bank of America Corp willo acquire Merrill Lynch & Co Inc for $29 a share, a deal that will give the bank the world's largest brokerage and a sizable investment bank, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday

The deal comes as bankers and regulators met in New York to figure out whether to rescue Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc, and if so, how. Those talks seemed increasingly likely to result in Lehman's liquidation.

Link
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby seahorse » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 22:52:13

mos6507 wrote:
seahorse2 wrote:The sheeple got "sidetracked" by that mere Cat 2 Hurricane Ike in the Gulf, when there is a Cat 10 financial hurricane hitting NY as we speak.

Bleet and run.
seahorse
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jbrovont » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:00:17

Lmfao! Well... kinda. :/

seahorse wrote:
mos6507 wrote:

Bleet and run.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DantesPeak » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:03:34

ColossalContrarian wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Tapas wrote:
shortonoil wrote:In taking over F&F the US government blew up its debt by $5.3 trillion. That pushed the US debt level to almost the GDP of the country. Once the US goes over that GDP number, most likely it will lose its AAA credit rating. It has already been warned by the BIS.

If the US, which holds the world’s reserve currency, loses is pristine credit rating the whole world falls apart! Insurance, pension funds, the dollar, the whole shebang goes!

Thanks shortonoil. You have explained the crux of the problem! It's a tailspin from here.

According to the CIA Factbook the GDP of the USA was $13.84 Trillion (2007 estimate).

Our National Debt with the inclusion of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac now exceeds our GDP.

We are toast :P

I just love this "F&F takeover = $5 trillion more government debt" being tauted at so many doomer sites. Things are bad, but not that bad, at least not yet. F&F are no where near completely insolvent. They have some of the better quality mortgage debt out there. They will not likely cost the taxpayers anywhere near $5T, and certainly their takeover has not cost that yet, so the National Debt does NOT yet exceed GDP. The USD has a bit more life left in her. My expectations for the next 5-10 years are for slow economic and social decline/collapse with high inflation (but not hyperinflation).

INFLATION bawhahahah!!!! over the next 5-10 years??? Who are the banks going to lend to, unemeployed endebted Joe Six-Packs??

PA-LEASE!!!!!

The government.

In WWII, the US government ran huge budget deficits. Banks at that time lent almost all of their increase in assets to the US government.

And yes, it did result in a wave of inflation when the war was over.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:13:04

DantesPeak wrote:In WWII, the US government ran huge budget deficits. Banks at that time lent almost all of their increase in assets to the US government.

And the brief wave of post WWII inflation was tempered by the (generally) robust post-war economy powered by exports of cheap energy and other basic commodities as well as exports of an incredible range of manufactured goods plus the safety and security of the USA in general as an economic safe haven.

Q: So, what's going to temper the newly arriving wave of accelerating inflation?

A: Nothing.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Re: Lehman is GOING DOWN

Unread postby oneplain1 » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:21:34

I guess this is why the oil markets opened early for trading today also?
oneplain1
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:44:38

Cid_Yama wrote:This is the beginning of the end. The whole shebang is about to fall because the US can't control what the rest of the world does to protect itself.

Other central banks and sovereign funds will step in too. If the US financial system blows, they will be farked even worse. Also, its a good long term strategy for other Central Banks to step in. Its helps them in both the short and long term. The US is helped in the short term, but is diminished in the long term.
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:46:44

No war(s) is going to [s]feed [/s]fuel the economy out of this mess. It’s that big.

eastbay wrote:
DantesPeak wrote:In WWII, the US government ran huge budget deficits. Banks at that time lent almost all of their increase in assets to the US government.

And the brief wave of post WWII inflation was tempered by the (generally) robust post-war economy powered by exports of cheap energy and other basic commodities as well as exports of an incredible range of manufactured goods plus the safety and security of the USA in general as an economic safe haven.

Q: So, what's going to temper the newly arriving wave of accelerating inflation?

A: [s] Nothing. [/s]

A: Lack of Credit.

The excess in debt is far greater than the accumulated wealth of the economy. It’s constricting quickly!

The US’s history of being able to buy its way out of debt has ended. When in history has this ever happened? We’ve barely seen the beginning of financial scandals and who knows what effect that will have on the economy? People will be trying to save their own butts rather than go to prison and we’ll be seeing Category 5 “Enron style” collapses.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:53:54

ColossalContrarian wrote:The US’s history of being able to buy its way out of debt has ended. When in history has this ever happened? We’ve barely seen the beginning of financial scandals and who knows what effect that will have on the economy? People will be trying to save their own butts rather than go to prison and we’ll be seeing Category 5 “Enron style” collapses.

Can I ask who will pay the taxes to keep them imprisoned? Somehow I don't think Prison is the solution here. Think French Revolution, think Marie Antoinette, think Gullotine.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Lehman - BK Imminent - Bloomberg TV

Unread postby Ang » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:56:52

I think LEH just filed BK.
Ang
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:00:34

ReverseEngineer wrote:
ColossalContrarian wrote:The US’s history of being able to buy its way out of debt has ended. When in history has this ever happened? We’ve barely seen the beginning of financial scandals and who knows what effect that will have on the economy? People will be trying to save their own butts rather than go to prison and we’ll be seeing Category 5 “Enron style” collapses.

Can I ask who will pay the taxes to keep them imprisoned? Somehow I don't think Prison is the solution here. Think French Revolution, think Marie Antoinette, think Gullotine.

Reverse Engineer

not "The People"

but the bankers, CEO's, CFO's.... Joe Nacchio, Ken Lay

The Crooks will go to prison and when their path is uncovered in (like fraudulent funny money, "cooking the books") the economy will suffer even more.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: R.I.P. Lehman Brothers Holding Inc.

Unread postby Ang » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:06:56

*LEHMAN BROTHERS AUSTRALIA SUSPENDED, SAYS ASX

off the wire 0:04

*LEHMAN BROTHERS CLEARING SERVICES SUSPENDED, ASX SAYS

wire 0:05
Ang
Peat
Peat

Re: R.I.P. Lehman Brothers Holding Inc.

Unread postby eXpat » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:13:16

Wall Street on alert: Lehman endgame
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Wall Street remained on alert late Sunday as hopes for a buyout of beleaguered Lehman Brothers faded and following extensive efforts by both executives and regulators to stave off a broader financial crisis.

As the weekend drew to a close, the Federal Reserve announced plans to expand its lending to the banking industry in an effort to calm the markets. In addition, a consortium of 10 top domestic and foreign banks agreed to create a $70 billion fund that would serve as a lifeline for troubled financial firms.

The fate of Lehman, following weeks of speculation about its health, appeared grim after Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) and British bank Barclays (BCS), both viewed as potential "white knights," pulled out of deal talks as of Sunday afternoon, according to sources.

A Lehman executive, who declined to be identified, told Fortune "this looks like the end."

link
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Lehman - BK Imminent - Bloomberg TV

Unread postby burtonridr » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:14:17

Ang wrote:I think LEH just filed BK.

Got a link or something for information?
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance