Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Nigeria Thread pt 2 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Nigerian militants declare 'oil war' against pipelines

Unread postby burtonridr » Sun 14 Sep 2008, 23:59:09

They just had to keep poking the bear didnt they. :x

You keep killing people, moving them out of areas, killing their wildlife which they need to survive, poisoning their water supply and fish, etc and this is what happens. Why dont they try working with the people instead of bully them around, if they say no, that means no, they dont want you there. You must respect people and there way of life.

Is this the same movement created when Ken was executed?

The Nigerian People of Ogonis have fought Shell Oil since 1995 following The wrongful hanging of Ken Saro-Wiwa. Ken lead the Ogonis people in an uprising against Shell Oil back in 1995 because Shell Oil was polluting the Ogoni land profusely. It got so bad the majority of the Ogoni people got cancer from the carcinogens in the ground water. Ken organized an uprising to demand that Shell Oil be stopped and that they clean up the environmental damage they created. The Nigerian government arrested Ken and tried him for crimes(of which I cannot remember, I may do some research and post other historical information on the whole event). When he was found guilty by an unfair trial and jury he was hung. His supporters were further enraged when the Nigerian government burned and pillaged towns that stood to stop Shell Oil. From then until now the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) has fought harder to save their land and people from the misuse of land and ill treatment of people by Shell Oil....

Full Article
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:02:11

Factoid: the flaring of NG in the Delta is the largest source of GHGs on the planet...41% of African NG consumption. There are sections of the Delta that haven't seen night in decades.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 00:15:49

TheDude wrote:Factoid: the flaring of NG in the Delta is the largest source of GHGs on the planet...41% of African NG consumption. There are sections of the Delta that haven't seen night in decades.

Awesome.

How much oil do we get from Nigeria?

Aren't they a top supplier to the U.S.?

Add that to the damage caused by our consumption.

By the way, my doom meter has now, for the first time, produced that warning noise from Star Trek.

Red Alert Captain!
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 02:39:39

Cashmere wrote:How much oil do we get from Nigeria?

#5, #4 2008 YTD too, since Venezuela's slacked off a bit and production is up in Nigeria, surprising given all the gunboat attacks and pipeline sabotage.

"I needa more time Cap'n!"
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 03:22:27

TheDude wrote:
Cashmere wrote:How much oil do we get from Nigeria?

#5, #4 2008 YTD too, since Venezuela's slacked off a bit and production is up in Nigeria, surprising given all the gunboat attacks and pipeline sabotage.

"I needa more time Cap'n!"

Scotty, listen to me man. We don't have more time!

[Bones moving in, prepared to pronounce death].
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Mesuge » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 04:41:53

Cashmere wrote: If country X in OPEC wanted higher prices, just smuggle a few mill or some arms to the Niger rebels, and let them be the bad guys.

Now, the best part is that the arms will be likely made by U.S. manufacturer (at some point in time) and paid in part by american taxpayer as military help provided for that OPEC country in the first place.

Crazy world..
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jbrovont » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 05:58:22

Hmm. 2 major hurricanes, Lehman goes pop, and now this.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RSFB » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 06:01:46

jbrovont wrote:Hmm. 2 major hurricanes, Lehman goes pop, and now this.

Don't forget AIG and Merrill Lynch.
RSFB
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 06:41:28

AIG is off the radar because of Lehman, but them lining up, hat in hand, asking for 40 bill is huge news in and of itself.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Nigerian Oil War Begins

Unread postby medicvet » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 11:48:25

Doesn't look good at all..this could hve more long term damage in a major way than all the hurricane damage done so far this season. Never underestimate he damage that hurricane man can do.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe.-H.G. Wells

The only basis for a nation’s prosperity is a religious regard for the rights of others. - ISOCRATES
medicvet
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby PrairieMule » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 14:52:41

Cashmere wrote:
TheDude wrote:Factoid: the flaring of NG in the Delta is the largest source of GHGs on the planet...41% of African NG consumption. There are sections of the Delta that haven't seen night in decades.

Awesome.

How much oil do we get from Nigeria?

Add that to the damage caused by our consumption.

Sounds like another Monday in Nigeria. When things are calm, Nigeria produces 3 million barrels a day. Now it's reduced to 1.6 million barrels a day. What is key about Nigeria is there is so much light sweet crude.
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Location: In a Nigerian compound surrounded by mighty dignataries

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 15 Sep 2008, 16:56:08

Nigeria militants 'raze' Shell oil complex

LAGOS, Nigeria (CNN) -- A day after declaring war in Nigeria's oil-rich delta region, the country's main rebel group said Monday it was continuing its "destructive sweep" against oil facilities in Rivers State.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta said its militant forces "stormed" the Alakiri flow station complex, operated by the Shell Petroleum Development Company, set fire to the facility and "razed it to the ground."

A day earlier, MEND had warned all international oil workers to evacuate their staff from their facilities because it planned to "bring these structures to the ground."

"The foolhardy workers and soldiers who did not heed our warning perished inside the station," MEND said, referring to the Shell complex.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Nigeria

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:04:05

MEND is at it again, this time it looks more serious than before.

MEND on the warpath

All we need now is one terrorist event or say a Saudi uprising and we will be living "Oil Storm".
AirlinePilot

Re: Nigeria

Unread postby joeltrout » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 22:22:04

I heard this on CNBC and it really worries me. I am no doomer but I might be changing my perspective with everything going on.

Thanks for the link.

joeltrout
joeltrout
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Nigeria

Unread postby Arsenal » Wed 17 Sep 2008, 23:05:07

Wow!! If terrorist really wanted to put the hurt on us, they would not have to attack the USA. All they would have to hit is a "softer" target in any oil producing country.

With the economy in shambles, now would be the perfect time.

Time to check the pantry.

Arsenal
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

MEND vows to cut Nigerian oil exports to zero

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 13:07:40

Nigeria's main militant group says it has blown up a major oil pipeline owned by Shell in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) said it had used explosives to attack a "major pipeline" in the Asari Toru region.

Mend declared "war" on Nigeria's oil industry last Sunday after a fierce military raid on one of its bases.

If confirmed, the latest attack would be the sixth since Mend launched what it has called Hurricane Barbarossa.

Mend vowed to "continue to nibble every day at the oil infrastructure in Nigeria until the oil exports reach zero".
link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: MEND vows to cut Nigerian oil exports to zero

Unread postby allenwrench » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 11:39:51

Is US planning a crude fueled intervention? How does this country measure up as an exporter for US crude needs?
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Mon 22 Sep 2008, 12:45:12

Man, we've had a lot of Nigeria threads. I recently started one. Dante suggested at some point that we have a macro thread for the country.

MEND threatened the same in Feb 2006: Nigeria oil 'total war' warning
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby karras » Tue 23 Sep 2008, 15:59:06

allenwrench wrote:Is US planning a crude fueled intervention? How does this country measure up as an exporter for US crude needs?

According to the most recent EIA data, more than half of Nigeria's roughly 2 million barrels/day of export go to the US. So, if MEND were to accomplish even half of its intended export cut, it would spell serious trouble for the US.
karras
Wood
Wood

Nigeria oil and the Carter doctrine

Unread postby DaleFromCalgary » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:12:15

In another thread, PrairieMule was writing about how tribalism is keeping back half of Nigeria's oil. I have wondered in the past why the USA is so anxious to apply the Carter Doctrine (put simply: "Your oil is ours") to Arabic countries but has not done the same with Nigeria. I assume Nigeria is a shorter route for imported oil.

Of course, it wouldn't be possible now to invade Nigeria because the USA is over-commited in Iraq and Afghanistan. But would it have been easier for the Shrubbies to invade Nigeria rather than Iraq? Your thoughts please, on this alternative history.
DaleFromCalgary
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Africa Discussion