Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

American coup in a democratic tinderbox

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: American coup in a democratic tinderbox

Unread postby AgentR » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 09:59:32

ki11ercane wrote:If you're going to do that, don't link any of your soon to be defaulted debt to your "homestead" or "house."

How bout just not default on it in the first place.

This latest bank scandal should demonstrate to everyone how banks MUCH prefer to have debt that is performing over defaulted debts and confiscated materials. They don't want NUTHIN to do with your junk or your house; they want your loan/account in the performing/on-time category, which makes their books look healthy.

If the system goes hyperinflationary; you'll end up buying your loaf of bread with half your days wages, and paying off your house with the other half.

Don't think it can get that bad?
It has happened many times before, and will happen many times again. Nothing new here at all.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby seahorse » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 10:32:33

Why would you bother to waste your time writing to your "representatives" if you won't even bother to vote?

Because they no longer read our votes, but they do read the emails. So far, they keep sending me replies. Plus, in an email, they can see just how pissed I am. And, even if they don't read it, it clogs their cyberspace and takes time and effort on their part to continually delete them.
seahorse
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 11:50:47

ki11ercane wrote:If you're going to do that, don't link any of your soon to be defaulted debt to your "homestead" or "house." Your bullets, gold, guns, food, and fuel will be useless to you if you have no patch of land or structure to put them in. Or they will be confiscated if you're caught committing deliberate bankruptcy or "running" on your credit cards or line of credit.

For some reason, a number of people here seem to think nobody will bother to collect on their debts. History proves this false. During the Depression, many thousands of people lost their homes and farms before the govt stepped in to help. I wouldn't personally count on being one of the lucky one who gets bailed out or conveniently ignored.

I'm pessimistic enough to think debtors prisons and workhouses may make a comeback. :(
Ludi

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 11:51:31

seahorse wrote:There are simple things individual things any peace lover can do to do their part to break this system:

(1) Quit using credit cards;

Most Americans probably cannot do it.
They don't even get their money to hand.
It all go to overdrawn account.
Common folk is very short in cash.
So Americans *must* use credit cards, even if they hate it (and they love it).

(2) Quit using banks;

How?
Your paycheck goes to bank, your mortgage is paid via account etc.

(3) Don't vote in Federal elections, it is a farce;

...as if they care :-D

(4) Don't contribute at all to any of the political parties, they are a joke;

I hope, very few do in any case and those who do are beyond any hope.

(5) Stop any and all unnecessary spending;

That can be done and would hurt system badly.
Proceed.

(6) Continually email blast your congressmen and senators and tell them what a joke they are for bailing out banks;

I think, they might have e-mail filters or some select all + delete function automatically set on their computers.

There are more active things that can be done, but the above are the easy and most obvious. If you haven't done those, then you're not doing your part.

eg. avoid all loans and if you take one, then:
1. Make sure it is as large as possible
2. Defraud it (eg. do the same what government and bankers do with your tax money).
3. Leave US to spare yourself unnecessary problems.
If thought well, that could even make you reasonably well off.

Naturally it is only a theoretical example, not explicit advocacy to break a law :)
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 11:54:00

Ludi wrote: During the Depression, many thousands of people lost their homes and farms before the govt stepped in to help.

While there are similarities; its not a mirror either. During the depression; there was serious deflation and a lack of available hard currency.

In our current system, availability of currency will not be a problem; whether you can buy anything with a $100 bill is an entirely different question.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby seahorse » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:16:05

EU,

On the above points, I do regularly email by elected officials and I still get replies to them written by some staff flunky I'm sure. So, up to me they can read how pissed I am and am taking up their time and resources.

As for not using banks, sure, get your paycheck, cash it, but don't deposit it in a bank. This keeps them from using your money.

Americans can quit using credit cards if they want to. Using credit cards is part of this matrix the bankers are using to impose their economic tyranny on the masses. Cut the cheap plastic bastards up and stop using them.
seahorse
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:23:24

alokin wrote:Cashmere, you are really one of the nasty guys, laying back, drinking your beer knowingly that all goes down the drain. We outside America have to suffer from, you guys , which don't get their fat bottom out of the chair to do something, since ages you vote for imbeciles, you were only interested in the newest iphone and the fattest car and the fattest burger, but the rest of the world cannot vote or demonstrate in your rotten country! (However, most countries are somehow rotten, but at least they do not intend to rule the world)

1. I am nasty. So what? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China.

2. You have to suffer from me? What? If the U.S. idiocy affects you, that's your fault. Nobody twisted your arm to emulate the Empire of Debt.

3. iphone? Hate 'em. I'm a carve-it-out-of-wood-myself kind of guy. Don't confuse me with the average fat and ignorant American.

4. My rear is quite nice, thank you.

5. I do drink beer.

6. Have no doubt that the complicity of England and Canada and Australia have all contributed greatly to the U.S.S.A.'s ability to filth up the world as bad as it has. Australia was happy enough to ride the wave of excess to this point - don't start pointing fingers now.

7. Vote or don't vote here - won't change anything.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:24:35

s0ul5 wrote:Tell me something,

How is the mainstream media in U.S. treating these issues? I mean, does an average taxpayer there get a clue where all the money is going to come from when someone is bailed out?

MSM in the U.S. has nary a word in opposition to it.

No interviews with outraged - whoevers.

Just a steady drum beat of, "this is needed to prevent catastrophe."
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:30:37

Ludi wrote:
seahorse wrote:(6) Continually email blast your congressmen and senators and tell them what a joke they are for bailing out banks;.

Why would you bother to waste your time writing to your "representatives" if you won't even bother to vote?

Not voting means the worse of two evils will win.

Voting is for suckers.

Voting is masturbating in the closet and hoping it will impregnate the girl who lives across the street from you.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:32:11

seahorse wrote:

Because they no longer read our votes, but they do read the emails. So far, they keep sending me replies. Plus, in an email, they can see just how pissed I am. And, even if they don't read it, it clogs their cyberspace and takes time and effort on their part to continually delete them.

Sending emails to your representative is like masturbating in front of your open window and hoping it will impregnate the girl across the street.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 12:39:20

Cashmere wrote:Voting is masturbating in the closet and hoping it will impregnate the girl who lives across the street from you.

:lol:
Ludi

Unread postby Byron100 » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 13:03:26

Cashmere wrote:
s0ul5 wrote:Tell me something,

How is the mainstream media in U.S. treating these issues? I mean, does an average taxpayer there get a clue where all the money is going to come from when someone is bailed out?

MSM in the U.S. has nary a word in opposition to it.

No interviews with outraged - whoevers.

Just a steady drum beat of, "this is needed to prevent catastrophe."

And you know what really sucks? That people out there (including people I know) actually believe this garbage.

I guess they'll suspect something's up when they go to the grocery store with a $100 bill and walk out with a loaf of bread, a half gallon of milk and a dented can of beans (on sale), along with 50 cents change. I suppose that's for the best...as can you imagine the panic we'd be seeing by now if J6P really did know what was going down?
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby tex123 » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 13:25:11

I do watch some MSM and yes it is hard to decifer the truth from this mess. I have to look around quite a bit to hear what I believe is the truth. Yes it is repeated that this "bailout" was neccessary to avert a complete financial meltdown but you can also locate guest speakers on CNBC etc. like peter schiff that says this is only a temporary fix and will make the fallout worse when there are no rabbits left to pull out of the hat.

Most of the people I know watch news on a fairly regular basis or are somehow informed on current affairs. Much of what the news carries even in light of this event is the opinions of the two presidential candidates and how this will affect the election. I don't see too many people who are fooled by what the treas-fed just did, no one really feels like this is going to fix anything despite what wallstreet or any talking head says. As far as I can tell the general poplace is still spooked.
tex123
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mattduke » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 14:20:05

Since I stopped watching television completely, I have come to see how powerful it is in shaping opinions. Everyone you meet parrots whatever they heard on the news without applying a lick of their own critical thought. There is no other word for it than brainwashing.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 14:23:54

mattduke wrote:Since I stopped watching television completely, I have come to see how powerful it is in shaping opinions. Everyone you meet parrots whatever they heard on the news without applying a lick of their own critical thought. There is no other word for it than brainwashing.

+1
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 22:02:26

For those of you not of Cash's...hands-off philosophy (or who go excited imagining his simile), here
is a link to the neighboring thread where Leanan has kindly provided links to contact your representatives to register your concern or consternation over these latest outrages.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby alokin » Sun 21 Sep 2008, 23:11:58

That's nice, Cashmere is pure resignation, this is simply unhealthy.
Everyone just must do something useful, weather it's helping some people or writing letters to your "Representatives".
I believe that a real paper letter (look up in WIKI, I talk about these things with an envelope and a stamp on it) are much better than emails.
Because they disturb on the desk, while an email is just deleted.
Another possibility is to write an open letter and send a coy to your local newspaper etc. or yet better letting sign the letter by a bunch of people like the local library club or knitting club or concerned whatever.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to North America Discussion