Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Everyone who is NOT heading for the hills, raise your hand.

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Everyone who is NOT heading for the hills, raise your ha

Unread postby BigTex » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 12:22:31

I'm going to hang around a little longer.

I signed up for a 10 week square dancing class and I have 7 more classes to go, so I want to at least get that finished before I bug out.

If I were to leave now, I would be letting down the other members of my square.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aflurry » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 12:26:29

I am staying in San Francisco. I have two disabled parents (who don't get along with each other) living in town, and no means to get them out. I am honestly not prepared by any standard except that my expenses are low, for what that's worth. All I can do is be prepared to lend a hand in my community and hope for the best. If I don't survive, I want to know that I behaved honorably to the end.
aflurry
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 12:31:23

BigTex wrote:I'm going to hang around a little longer.
I signed up for a 10 week square dancing class and I have 7 more classes to go, so I want to at least get that finished before I bug out. If I were to leave now, I would be letting down the other members of my square.

You're killing me today BT. Hilarious, man.

Anyhow, I can't even think of bugging out until I experience the satisfaction of watching the punk kid with the loud exhaust a block from here get his new Civic repossessed.

Then maybe we'll head for the hills.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aflurry » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 12:37:30

BigTex wrote:I'm going to hang around a little longer.
I signed up for a 10 week square dancing class and I have 7 more classes to go, so I want to at least get that finished before I bug out. If I were to leave now, I would be letting down the other members of my square.

YES!
aflurry
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 12:45:54

Deliveries or certain goods such as food and fuel will start being delayed or cancelled. When you start seeing empty spaces on the shelves and gas stations out of gas or closing, that's your sign.

This could happen quickly. A couple years back a transportation strike in GB emptied shelves within 3 days.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:26:48

I once told my old timer, Ozarker neighbor that I kind of missed the Sierras.

He said; "The hills sure are pretty but what do you do with them."
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:29:44

[smilie=adios.gif]

Still here.

I will be around until I am driven into the hills.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby cranky » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:32:59

I've been equally preparing and freaking since I have been reading your forums for the last 2 weeks. Still feeling I will never have done enough or the right thing. I appreciate all the wonderful advice and links from Peak Oil.

Was planning on selling house in Calif., moving to Southern Indiana in the near future (next couple of years) and buying rural place with a little acreage, then have a little money left over, but now I don't know if I'll be able to sell my house in this freefall. The house is my only retirement. Seems like I'm a little late...

At some point prior to martial law will I have the guts to just walk away (even though the monthly payment is low and I owe less than $100,000) and run for the hills of southern Indiana with husband, dogs and cats in a Toyota Corolla and not much else? I'm having a hard time processing this possible future. How will I get enough gas to get back to Indiana? As you can see from my signature, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude in this situation, but everyday it gets harder and harder. 8O
All is well. Everything is working out for my highest good. Out of this situation only good will come. I am safe.
cranky
Wood
Wood

Unread postby topcat » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:35:18

We are just going to head to the basement.
"No workey, no beef jerkey." TC

"Home is where the hot dogs are." TC
topcat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby allenwrench » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:40:13

zoidberg wrote:When the Army is deployed to your city.
edit: close post. I'd say though that martial law would be too late. There should be some time after the deployment before curfews and martial law is imposed(or at least attempted)
However dont let the current credit crisis hysteria provoke you to move too soon. Theres at least one more boomlet coming up before the long grind down. Estimated start date, 3Q 2009.

martial law would be too late

why is that?
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:41:52

cranky wrote:I've been equally preparing and freaking since I have been reading your forums for the last 2 weeks. Still feeling I will never have done enough or the right thing. I appreciate all the wonderful advice and links from Peak Oil.
Was planning on selling house in Calif., moving to Southern Indiana in the near future (next couple of years) and buying rural place with a little acreage, then have a little money left over, but now I don't know if I'll be able to sell my house in this freefall. The house is my only retirement. Seems like I'm a little late...
At some point prior to martial law will I have the guts to just walk away (even though the monthly payment is low and I owe less than $100,000) and run for the hills of southern Indiana with husband, dogs and cats in a Toyota Corolla and not much else? I'm having a hard time processing this possible future. How will I get enough gas to get back to Indiana? As you can see from my signature, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude in this situation, but everyday it gets harder and harder. 8O

I think your positive attitude will help you better deal with stress in the future. But accepting things at face value helps too; all is definitely not well right now.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby allenwrench » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:44:43

Riots come up a lot.

What will cause these riots?
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Revi » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:45:44

I'm already in the hills. Unfortunately it's cold around here.

I think it's a scary place to be, but so is everywhere else.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby allenwrench » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:48:08

Sys1 wrote:I'm happy here, near Paris. Finally, I prefer to be vaporized by a thermonuclear weapon instead of dying alone slowly, eating some ugly food or dead people in the forest.
Look, my job is here (elementary public school teacher), my wife too (she got a shop). I have some cash on hand (more in bank), and funny stuffs like bike, books, crossbow, cranck radio, water purifier...
We don't have debts, a house behind the shop which belongs to us. Damn, why would I went away???

You wont make a good forager... Fruit photo (large)
Apple (large)
Tree photo (large)
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:52:41

allenwrench wrote:Riots come up a lot. What will cause these riots?

Hunger. Hungry people morph into the hunger-zombie. Or lack of gasoline.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 13:58:51

:cry: When to Bug Out??

1. When ATM debit cards don't work. Not just yours but everybodys. Note: credit cards don't count, they may be gone next week.
2. When your pay check ethier dosn't come as expected or bounces. Without cash how long can you last where you are? Again this is more important if others are having the same problem.
3. If you wait for the riots to start you will be to late to get out as the cops or National Guard will be controlling the highways.
4. Don't burn your bridges. If they manage to stop the panic you may want the option of coming back and picking up the pieces.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:08:15

Ah, this is the question that is of most relevance.

I have been surprised by the speed things appear to be unraveling. I am also surprised by the way they are going down.

My analogy is to a house of cards, you are sure it will fall, but which way? Our global society is "critically coupled" and so many, many things can influence it.

As a start my wife and I agree that we split when we have to reach for a gun for protection. Not immediate protection from an invader, but knowing that you want the gun beside you - just in case.

That may be sufficient for some forms of collapse such as we are now facing. However, other types may occur where that would not be an option. Say, for example, some form of contagion. That could cause them to close highways with almost no warning. Or what if a nuke goes off somewhere. Could freeze all travel instantly.

We are all focused on the current crisis. What happens if some secondary crises, of a different nature, were to arise out of this or come up coincidentally?

I just don't feel I have a good grip on this answer of what our canary is. At a different time and place I would have said I should have left already. Oh how we get accustomed to our situation.

Does anyone know of any research done on the Jews in the '30's? Who left and why? What made them leave when others stayed? Maybe there is an answer there?
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Zardoz » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 14:11:39

Revi wrote:I'm already in the hills. Unfortunately it's cold around here. I think it's a scary place to be, but so is everywhere else.

Exactly. And for virtually all of us, "the hills" are the scariest place of all. Get real, people.

Our plans for Armageddon? We're going ahead with our master bedroom remodel project.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Eppo » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:07:23

I'm staying in the San Diego area.

As a former farmers kid is is skilled at hunting and growing food with his hands, I highly doubt ost people could survive in the woods.

I imagine most people who leave the city will look like Steve Correll's Character on the Office "Survivor Man" episode.
Eppo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby green_achers » Fri 10 Oct 2008, 15:15:01

Right now, I come into town most days, but then town is 18,000 souls and <5 miles from my door. I might be making the trip a little less in the near future, but then again, I'll go wherever someone is willing to give me something of value for my vegetables...

IOW, I might "bug in" a little less often.
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance