Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Zimbabwe Thread pt 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Zimbabwe Inflation Hits 500 Quintillion Percent

Unread postby mattduke » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 15:38:53

The only interesting thing about this to me is that people there still attempt to use the paper tickets as money at all. I mean, I stopped owning dollars already, and they can still buy me a bag of movie popcorn for 6 of them.
link

Converted Url to hyperlink per COC 3.1.2 "Graphic content: In addition, do not include long URLs that cause the page view to widen and requires the reader to scroll." -FL
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Zimbabwe Inflation Hits 500 Quintillion Percent

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 15:52:51

Zimbabwe- the poster child of collapse
From Water shortages force Zimbabwe parliament closure
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 15:59:00

FSN had a segment about Dinner in Zimbabwe. Big photo gallery of bank notes.

What, no tip?
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby skeptik » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 16:05:47

TheDude wrote:What, no tip?

That doesnt appear on the bill. It's at your discretion. You leave something in the wheelbarrow in the middle of the table.
(although US $5 subtly palmed off to the Maitre D' on the way out is much more appreciated)
skeptik
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 17:20:34

I don't understand why anyone is still using that currency either.

Every other country in that situation would have already dollarized/euroized by now.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Commanding_Heights » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 17:40:55

What is the highest denomination note they have now and how do I get one. When Zimbabgoneaway makes a come back I'm gonna pay my house off.
Commanding_Heights
Peat
Peat

Unread postby nobodypanic » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 17:46:45

vox_mundi wrote:Zimbabwe- the poster child of collapse
From Water shortages force Zimbabwe parliament closure

their legal system is collapsing from a lack of water, eh.

i for one would dance a jig if my legal system collapsed, so long judges and lawyers. :lol:
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 18:24:02

People giving up on the long lost art of reading?

"A lot of barter takes place. Money is not used as much or if it is, it's all foreign exchange." Supermarkets in Harare are accepting only US dollars and South African rands, leaving those Zimbabweans without access to foreign currency in dire straits.

I'm still amazed that there was a situation even worse than this. Monetarily at least. I don't think Hungary even came close to their long-term geopolitical and environmental problems.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sicophiliac » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 19:30:08

Can anyone enlighten me to why inflation has spiraled out of control in Zimbabwe? Was it due to massive government borrowing combined with what little economy they had imploding? Did a drought or something agricultural occur initially to break them economically?
sicophiliac
Coal
Coal

Unread postby thylacine » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 19:53:04

thylacine
Peat
Peat

Zimbawe in full Mad-Max gear

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 15:45:34

Now, read carefully the title of this article:

Lack of funds forces closure of Zimbabwe parliament, says MDC
• Parliament has run out of money and water
• High court, schools and hospitals have also shut

Yes, that´s right, they stopped the printing, ceased to struggle and left any pretention of "business as usual" with a mega inflated currency.
Zimbabwe's parliament has been forced to close because it has run out of cash and water, the opposition claimed today, as the country's economic crisis causes a virtual shutdown of public life.

Hotels in Harare have been refusing to accept MPs because the parliament has no money to pay their expenses or allowances.

It has also gone days without water. Speaking to the independent news agency Zim Online, Innocent Gonese, chief whip of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change, said: "Parliament has no money to pay for the MPs' allowances and accommodation. That is why parliament had to adjourn to December 16. There was also no water at the building."

On Tuesday the high court was forced to close because of water shortages. Many schools and hospitals are also shut.

link
Soon to be released in your neighborhood :twisted:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Zimbawe in full Mad-Max gear

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 16:25:14

It's just a sad slide of a formerly decent country with an incompetent psycho at the helm.

At least someone is at the helm. It's countries where sociopathic teenage warlords roam around in pickups unchecked, terrorizing starving villagers with Uzis, that more resembles Mad Max. I hope the oil runs out before America comes to that.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 16:40:00

i have a feeling that 1000, maybe 2000 years ago, Africa was a much more peaceful & productive place.

just people living off the land, in small numbers. melting silver in campfires (according to one of my silversmithing instructors), etc.

it still hurts to think about their dentistry techniques though. some practiced version of what Tom Hanks does with the ice skate when he knocks out the tooth in CastAway ?
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 18:20:04

Africans were more in balance with the land 1000 years ago as well. They hadn't experienced a population explosion due to western medicine and food production techniques.

It's funny to think that just 10 years ago this country was so successful at farming that it fed the rest of Africa.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 19:18:22

It's hard to imagine Mugabe lasting much longer. The people are progressively losing their fear of him and his thugs. Things are turning around now, and fairly rapidly. We may be seeing a bloodbath developing, and it'll be Mugabe's men who will be doing the bleeding:

In Zimbabwe, the hunters are now the hunted

As Robert Mugabe's grip on power has slipped, the thugs who carried out preelection terror in his name find themselves in the cross hairs of those they tormented.

The "green bomber" dropped into Club M5 the other day to get a bottle of Lion beer to go, but he wasn't fast enough. Right away he was surrounded by five members of the opposition, people he used to beat up, in a township bar where he used to be king.

"They just surrounded me. They started accusing me of this and that. They just wanted revenge. They said: 'Now we got you alone. You used to trouble us during your heyday. Now it's our day.' "

He ran, chased by the drunken group.

The green bombers were the ruling party's shock troops, thugs who killed and terrorized in the name of President Robert Mugabe before elections this year. Just a few months ago, the thought of challenging one of them was unthinkable in Harare's townships, stagnant and hopeless places where young men hung around sharing cheap beer in plastic bottles and waiting for the "Old Man" to die.

But after Mugabe was forced into a power-sharing deal with the opposition in September, there was a quickening: People were impatient, exuberant, hopeful and fearful of betrayal all at once. Now that the deal has collapsed, the frustration in the capital's townships is palpable, and the specter of spiraling violence looms over their shabby streets.

People want justice -- and without it, some warn darkly, they'll take matters into their own hands.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gnm » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 19:32:10

RedStateGreen wrote:It's just a sad slide of a formerly decent country with an incompetent psycho at the helm.

That could apply to the USA as well....

-G
gnm

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:02:14

Yemen is next it looks like. Maybe there will be pirates all over the place before long. Bye bye shipping.
Turn those Machines back On! - Don Ameche in Trading Places
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:04:09

PenultimateManStanding wrote:Yemen is next it looks like. Maybe there will be pirates all over the place before long. Bye bye shipping.

I don't think the pirates will have a serious effect on much. Three ships really isn't going to make much of a dent.

It isn't that expensive to put some serious hardware and a few trained personnel on these ships to repel the poorly equipped and trained pirates.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:17:27

Jotapay wrote:
PenultimateManStanding wrote:Yemen is next it looks like. Maybe there will be pirates all over the place before long. Bye bye shipping.
I don't think the pirates will have a serious effect on much. Three ships really isn't going to make much of a dent. It isn't that expensive to put some serious hardware and a few trained personnel on these ships to repel the poorly equipped and trained pirates.

poorly equipped? they are taking ships 400 miles off the coast. Militarizing the shipping vessels themselves is not a bad idea but they aren't doing it. Maybe there is something about Somali culture that is lacking in Zimbabwe. Then again, maybe even now they are saying hey! we should do that too.
Turn those Machines back On! - Don Ameche in Trading Places
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yeahbut » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:19:12

Jotapay wrote:
I don't think the pirates will have a serious effect on much. Three ships really isn't going to make much of a dent.

link One of the world's biggest shippers, Denmark's A.P. Moller-Maersk, said Thursday it was sending some of its 50 oil tankers around the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa rather than navigate the now notorious Gulf of Aden off the Somali coast.

Other shipping companies, including Norway's Frontline Ltd., which transports much of the Middle East's oil to areas around the world, were considering similar moves, said international tanker association Intertanko.

If shipping companies were to direct their vessels around South Africa instead of through the Gulf of Aden en route to the Suez Canal and beyond, there would be a "series of negative repercussions," said the head of the International Maritime Organization, Efthimios Mitropoulos.

Each journey would require an extra 750 metric tons of fuel and emit an extra 2,335 tons of carbon dioxide, Mitropoulos said during a UN Security Council debate on Somalia.

A journey from the Saudi oil port of Ras Tanura to the European port of Gibraltar would double in length and take almost 12 days longer if ships took the route around the Cape of Good Hope, he said. The current route takes tankers into the Red Sea and through the Suez Canal into the Mediterranean.

Freight rates could initially more than double and eventually settle at about 25 to 30 per cent higher, he added.
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Africa Discussion