Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Zimbabwe Thread pt 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Out of Food Zimbabweans Resort To Eating Cow Dung

Unread postby blukatzen » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 01:10:42

Nickel wrote:
emailking wrote:
BigTex wrote:Maybe the good people of Haiti could send them a shipment of their famous "Cooking With Dirt" recipe book.

That is horrible. This is not the slightest bit funny.

Yeah, he's a real cunny funt, isn't he? :x

I think you've lost the sense of his ironic humor...
Big Tex is a fine man, and I don't think he's laughing at them. AT ALL.
In some situations, if you don't laugh, you'll cry. A lot.

Blu
blukatzen
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jack » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 01:40:41

Oh, come now.

This is what the leading edge of a dieoff looks like.

Get back to me when this applies to 3 billion or so - and they're better off than the ones who have nothing at all.

Lucky for me I have a good stock of hot buttered popcorn.

8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby timmac » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 02:02:16

And again the UN sits and does very little like they allways do, maybe its beause they are black and poor and who cares about them.

I wish people would stand up and force there goverment to stop sending our tax dollars to the UN what is it even for anymore, they are a house full of thugs stealing are $$ and doing very little..

That leader Mugabe is a very easy target, but no one not even the UN will take him out,, Why because if you or I kill 1 or 2 people you go to jail or be put to death,, but if you kill thousands upon thousands they do nothing to you at all,, look at history, most tyrants that kill thousands live to be old and rich,, Evil Rules and Allways Will...[untill jesus returns]

God will punish those that sit back with the power to stop this but does nothing...
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby BigTex » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 03:16:30

I would rather eat dirt than cowsh1t.

Maybe I'm just projecting my own tastes on others, though.

Perhaps someone could ask a Nigerian about what we might be able to do to help.

As for Mugabe, I would love to see him gone, but isn't Zimbabwe a sovereign nation? Shouldn't their internal political problems be settled internally? I wonder which country will volunteer to invade them and impose their own set of values (as the British initially did so long ago). I'm sure the U.S. would be happy to help, but I think we've already used up all of our nation building credits in Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm not sure why Mugabe has led his people to a state of desperation so great that they're eating farm animal feces (although insanity does come to mind), but why is BigTex the bad guy because he suggests dirt as an alternative to dung?
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 07:20:15

Interesting point to consider. Assuming its true that the Zimbabweans are eating Cow SH*T to stay alive, this means there are actually living cows around producing the sh*t. That means the Zimbabweans have enough sense not to slaughter all the cows for the meat, but rather use them as processing factories to take cellulose they cannot digest and rather eat the leftovers after the cows process the cellulose. The Cow SH*T has a lot more nutritional value than the Dirt Big Tex prefers for starvation cuisine.

I remember reading that Aleuts mixed Seal SH*T in with their meals as a kind of delicacy. Generally speaking no mammal gets 100% of the nutritional value out of a meal, particularly a well fed one. Much comes out the back end unused. This of course is why it makes such good fertilizer. The main problem with eating SH*T is the bacteria that grow in such a fertile mixture, but of course the fresher the SH*T is and the better you cook it, the less chance that the bacteria will overwhelm your system, and you might derive enough energy from the SH*T to survive another day.

So perhaps we are not destined after all to become Cannibalistic Zombies? We might slow down the die off by eating SH*T.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ohanian » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 07:47:02

Bullshit!

And you expect me to eat bullshit?
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 08:10:06

ohanian wrote:

I expect nothing. I just presented the alternative the Zimbabweans currently face.

So contrast the 2 alternatives in your mind: Die vs Eat Sh*t? You aren't faced with absolutely starvation. YET. Get back to me when the time comes and let me know which one you choose.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 08:29:25

I'll take shoes, tree roots, grass, there are a lot of other things to get at before I would ever consider cow patties for the dinner table. Even straw would be more palatable. Even insects and grubs.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 08:49:35

I have noticed that the news reports almost always mention what is going on in the cities with no mention of the small villages. I suspect that the people in the small villages are getting along about the same as usual. The people who are trying to live in the cities are the ones who are suffering.

Perhaps there is a clue for us in there. In a time a real problems, the folks who try to stay in the cities are in deep shit.

Disclaimer: I've spent over a month in africa in three different countries around Zimbabwe, I know how the villages live.

TF
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 08:57:10

uNkNowN ElEmEnt wrote:I'll take shoes, tree roots, grass, there are a lot of other things to get at before I would ever consider cow patties for the dinner table. Even straw would be more palatable. Even insects and grubs.

Straw and grass you can forget about, you can't get any nutritional value out of them. Only Ruminants can do that.

Roots are great, generally good starch in them you can digest, but what plants are availble in Zimbabwe growing wild I have no clue on. Bark has good vitamins but not real energy food you can digest out.

Insects and grubs are fine food, if you can find enough of them. Agreed here better than Cow SH*T. Snails, worms and other creepy crawlys also have good nutritional value. I prefer a good steak, but I have eaten snails and they arent too bad, just a little greasy.

Would I eat SH*T as an alternative to starvation and death? It would depend on whether I thought it was possible if I did I might survive long enough to eat something better. If I thought that and if Ihad some friends around to try to make it thru with, I would probably go for it.

Anyhow, the most INTERESTING part of this is not that the Zimbaweans would go after the Cow Pies, butt he fact that in order to do that some cows must still be alive. That is remarkable.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Blacksmith » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 10:43:03

BigTex wrote:I would rather eat dirt than cowsh1t.

Maybe I'm just projecting my own tastes on others, though.

Perhaps someone could ask a Nigerian about what we might be able to do to help.

As for Mugabe, I would love to see him gone, but isn't Zimbabwe a sovereign nation? Shouldn't their internal political problems be settled internally? I wonder which country will volunteer to invade them and impose their own set of values (as the British initially did so long ago). I'm sure the U.S. would be happy to help, but I think we've already used up all of our nation building credits in Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm not sure why Mugabe has led his people to a state of desperation so great that they're eating farm animal feces (although insanity does come to mind), but why is BigTex the bad guy because he suggests dirt as an alternative to dung?

(1) Charity begins at home.

(2) Dirt is commonly used as a filler.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nutmeg » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:01:45

I think we should send all liberals, left wingers, egalitarians, and multiculturalists to Zimbabwe as "food aid." Anybody who has ever said "Diversity is our strength" with a straight face, should become the meat stock of Mugabe stew.

The golden hearted liberals hated White Rhodesia, and had the best of intentions for the Black Africans. Of course they called it "liberation" when white farmers were tortured/raped/murdered. And now we have Zimbabwe. Poor, poor Zimbabwe. The work of a liberal is never done . . . er, well in this case it is done. Shhh, let's not put 2 + 2 together. Let's forget about it. Down the memory hole! K?
nutmeg
Wood
Wood

Re: In Zimbabwe Survival = Scavenging

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:03:45

mos6507 wrote:Obama ... is tolerating corn ethanol as a bridge to advanced ethanol, and it keeps the lobbyists happy in the meantime.
What a political game we play. Isn't it ironic we have to keep these guys happy?
mos6507 wrote:Nobody really knows how effective ethanol of any sort can be.
Silly me, but don't Brazilians have 30 years of succesful experience with sugar cane-based ethanol?
mos6507 wrote:The US is not a dictatorship and even petty things like banning incandescents is facing a backlash on the basis of limiting the free market. So people have to put away their sliderules and face practical reality.
The biggest problem with the self-proclaimed land of the free is that people really think pseudo-freedom is the the way out of any mess.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:11:44

VMarcHart wrote:Silly me, but don't Brazilians have 30 years of succesful experience with sugar cane-based ethanol?

Yeah, if you don't mind the slave-labor aspect of it.
Ludi

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:14:57

VMarcHart wrote:Silly me, but don't Brazilians have 30 years of succesful experience with sugar cane-based ethanol?

Can't tell is that's sarcastic or not considering the Amazon rain forest was the price of this success. Oh I know part of the rain forest is destroyed for timber, mining, soy, and cattle, but sugar growing will lead the charge destroying the rest of the Amazon rain forest in a few decades.

So it will be a 50 year crack binge. That's quite impressive.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:42:32

ReverseEngineer wrote:Anyhow, the most INTERESTING part of this is not that the Zimbaweans would go after the Cow Pies, butt he fact that in order to do that some cows must still be alive. That is remarkable.

Reverse Engineer

This is something that is most likely being done by the poorest of the poor. I bet they're getting the cow dung from those who own the cows. They might even be charged for the honor of buying the dung. It would not surprise me. Greed knows no bounds. :(
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:48:24

ReverseEngineer wrote:
ohanian wrote:

I expect nothing. I just presented the alternative the Zimbabweans currently face.

So contrast the 2 alternatives in your mind: Die vs Eat Sh*t? You aren't faced with absolutely starvation. YET. Get back to me when the time comes and let me know which one you choose.

Reverse Engineer

You're completely insane if you think eating shit is a sign of intelligence and planning for the future. There is no hope for you.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 11:56:55

Ludi/Eastbay, 2 for 1, very good points, thanks, but then everything we do has a downside, whether building shelters, eating berries, washing up, etc.

Being the dominant species is a bitch, isn't it?
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 13:15:25

Ayoob wrote:You're completely insane if you think eating crap is a sign of intelligence and planning for the future. There is no hope for you.

It works in Zimbabwe at least.
As long as he avoids eating human (or presumably other primate) sh*t, it might keep him going for a while.

I doubt that it is his "planning for the future" strategy.

I would rather eat earthworms should things come to crunch. Plenty of these in my area.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 13:31:20

eastbay wrote:
Can't tell is that's sarcastic or not considering the Amazon rain forest was the price of this success. Oh I know part of the rain forest is destroyed for timber, mining, soy, and cattle, but sugar growing will lead the charge destroying the rest of the Amazon rain forest in a few decades.
So it will be a 50 year crack binge. That's quite impressive.

Funny, I heard that the vast majority of sugar cane was not grown on land cut from rain forest for that purpose. If you have any links to back this up, I'd be interested.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Africa Discussion