Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When will the next crash be?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: When will the next crash be?

Unread postby sittinguy » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 16:05:39

I don't think there will be a 2nd crash, THIS IS IT BABY!!. This is just the beggining. I think before Obama's first term is up we will have the SHTF, that we all have been talking about.

All we would need is another oil spike, with 3 0r 4 dollar gas, and that would be the nail in the coffin for the consumer.

Like Noworries said

1) price controls;
2) soup kitchens;
3) unemployment over 15%;
4) massive cuts in defence spending (and corresponding geopolitical instability);
5) dollar collapse? (ie--depreciation of 30-50%).
sittinguy
Coal
Coal

Unread postby hermit » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 16:41:40

Heineken wrote:There will be a "Credit Crisis II," far worse than "Credit I," because the collapse of the banks is not over the way many want to pretend it is.

It is impossible to overstate how serious the real estate collapse is. We are going to go through another massive wave of defaults leading to a Depression.

Good point. I see that I've made a mistake in thinking that just because I've still got a job, that the worst is over.
hermit
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Narz » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 16:45:51

NEXT TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/roccman]
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 16:49:07

In the GD1, people did not have credit card debt and/or 2nd mortgages on their homes. People were also much more self reliant. What is about to happen now is unprecedented in human history.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Chuckmak » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 16:57:25

About 15 minutes from now. Mark my words.
"if god doesn't exist, it is necessary that we invent him" - Voltaire

"they say prescott bush funded hitler" - Nas

Chuckmak
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 17:10:50

Armageddon wrote:In the GD1, people did not have credit card debt and/or 2nd mortgages on their homes. People were also much more self reliant. What is about to happen now is unprecedented in human history.

+1
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 17:12:05

sittinguy wrote:I don't think there will be a 2nd crash, THIS IS IT BABY!!. This is just the beggining. I think before Obama's first term is up we will have the SHTF, that we all have been talking about. All we would need is another oil spike, with 3 0r 4 dollar gas, and that would be the nail in the coffin for the consumer.
Like Noworries said:
1) price controls;
2) soup kitchens;
3) unemployment over 15%;
4) massive cuts in defence spending (and corresponding geopolitical instability);
5) dollar collapse? (ie--depreciation of 30-50%).

We still are able to pop up and gasp for air. How much longer......
vision-master

Unread postby Pops » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 18:15:47

Everything is different this time,
Or maybe not.

Ya place yer bets and take yer chances.

I put down mine a few years ago.

If you haven't changed your wager in the last few years, I'll wager you'll lose.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby bratticus » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 18:45:33

At least the breadlines are fancier this time.

http://thebreadlinedc.blogspot.com/
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 18:55:09

I think we're headed for some hard times now. I was talking to a guy from the Dept. of Transportation here in Maine. They are losing 120 jobs in February. A lot of them will be the management, which sounds like not so bad, but they will bump everyone else who is driving the trucks and working. I think the State of Maine is going to lay off a lot of people very soon.

It's not looking good around here.

I don't think the first crash is over with.

I think the analogy to make is that Obama is like Captain Sully, and we're in that jetliner that landed in the Hudson. He has to land us just right, or we're toast. Nobody had ever done a successful ditch before. I hope captain Obama can do it.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 19:31:24

Back in the GD, there were no food stamps. If not for food stamps, we would have major soup kitchens already. Did they have medicare, medicaid, welfare and pensions in the 20's and 30's ? If not, just think how bad things would be currently.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 19:43:59

Revi wrote:I think we're headed for some hard times now. I was talking to a guy from the Dept. of Transportation here in Maine. They are losing 120 jobs in February. A lot of them will be the management, which sounds like not so bad, but they will bump everyone else who is driving the trucks and working. I think the State of Maine is going to lay off a lot of people very soon.

It's not looking good around here.

I don't think the first crash is over with.

I think the analogy to make is that Obama is like Captain Sully, and we're in that jetliner that landed in the Hudson. He has to land us just right, or we're toast. Nobody had ever done a successful ditch before. I hope captain Obama can do it.

Throw this in the "your local economy" thread too.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 19:45:05

Armageddon wrote:Back in the GD, there were no food stamps. If not for food stamps, we would have major soup kitchens already. Did they have medicare, medicaid, welfare and pensions in the 20's and 30's ? If not, just think how bad things would be currently.

No, you were on your own accord.
vision-master

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 20:01:35

vision-master wrote:
Armageddon wrote:Back in the GD, there were no food stamps. If not for food stamps, we would have major soup kitchens already. Did they have medicare, medicaid, welfare and pensions in the 20's and 30's ? If not, just think how bad things would be currently.

No, you were on your own accord.

I didn't think so. Imagine if they didn't have those today ?
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ki11ercane » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 03:30:45

Already 22 days old:

Subprime crisis seen spilling over into 2009

That is because most of the subprime mortgages, which provide collateral for $800 billion in securities, have yet to go bad, said Christopher Whalen of Institutional Risk Analytics, based in Hawthorne, California.

"The collateral is not yet problematic," Whalen says. "That's the next big shoe to drop."

Whalen said that defaults would soar as the rates of low-interest "teaser" mortgages held by borrowers with poor credit move up. At the end of August, about $46 billion in subprime loans, representing 225,000 homes, had defaulted, according to Credit Suisse Group.

The number will more than triple to $143 billion by the middle of 2009, the bank forecasts. Total subprime loan defaults will top out at about $270 billion, or 1.52 million homes, in 2010 or later.

Take 2008, and at the least 50% of it's damage, and go into 2009. Again in 2010, take 25% of 2008 numbers, and apply. THAT'S A BEST CASE SCENARIO.

While you're waiting, I found this simple recipe for homemade biscuits. Going to eat them next time I make pot roast. Enjoy.
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance