Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Fed to buy $300 billion in Treasuries

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Fed to buy $300 billion in Treasuries

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 00:14:48

AAA wrote:I will be happy if the Fed keeps bumping up stock prices so I can take some profits.

Are your stocks worth more or is it just that the $ is worth less?

When you "take profits" on inflationary gains you can't buy any more real goods with the proceeds than what you invested.

But you pay taxes on the "profits".
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby seldom_seen » Sat 21 Mar 2009, 00:09:09

Peter Schiff weighs in:

This week the Federal Reserve finally made clear what should have been obvious for some time – the only weapon that the Fed is willing to use to fight the economic downturn is a continuing torrent of pure, undiluted, inflation. The announcement should be seen as a game changer that redirects the fury of the financial storm directly onto our shores.

With such a policy in place, America has now become a banana republic. It won’t be too long before our living standards reflect our new status. Got Gold?

http://www.europac.net/externalframeset ... ype=schiff
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 21 Mar 2009, 01:26:45

Yes, but every G20 nation is doing exactly the same thing. Not that you are wrong, you are very right, but the deflation we are experiencing will not be curbed by making our money worthless. The whole thing is shutting down so fast that nothing will exist of the world as we have known it before hyperinflation kicks in. We are, however, experiencing inflated food prices already.

Expect hungry people to start stealing everything not nailed down soon. And since nobody in their neighborhood has anything left to steal, that means they will be coming to YOUR backyard.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Sat 21 Mar 2009, 08:59:29

Cid_Yama wrote:Yes, but every G20 nation is doing exactly the same thing. Not that you are wrong, you are very right, but the deflation we are experiencing will not be curbed by making our money worthless. The whole thing is shutting down so fast that nothing will exist of the world as we have known it before hyperinflation kicks in. We are, however, experiencing inflated food prices already.

Expect hungry people to start stealing everything
:wink: not nailed down soon. And since nobody in their neighborhood has anything left to steal, that means they will be coming to YOUR backyard.

IMHO, HI won't be possible. Americans will stop buying.
But any kind of weak $ will be fatal to Empire.

I like CHSmith's take that America doesn't like mobs.

Just thankin'. James
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby joewp » Sat 21 Mar 2009, 12:51:38

mcgowanjm wrote:IMHO, HI won't be possible. Americans will stop buying.

We had high inflation and high unemployment in the 70's and nobody was buying much then either.
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sat 21 Mar 2009, 16:26:11

Great - so after a collapse we'll have a bunch of moron traders trying to play farmer. Like its possible to become self-sufficient in months....

Sounds like an opportunity for the folks lacking the means to have a starter kit of their own. The means appears to be presenting itself.

Doubt those 'moron traders' will have a clue how to keep what they have.

The coming world will not be a safe one for New York 'suits'. Their survival skills only apply to Manhattan's jungle.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 09:11:20

Cid_Yama wrote:
Sounds like an opportunity for the folks lacking the means to have a starter kit of their own. The means appears to be presenting itself.

From personal experience, I, and others have been fighting
to get into farming on our terms from the beginning.

The bankers, and other Top.01%, have done everything they can think of to keep us out.
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby The_Virginian » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 13:49:11

Cid_Yama wrote:Yes, but every G20 nation is doing exactly the same thing. Not that you are wrong, you are very right, but the deflation we are experiencing will not be curbed by making our money worthless. The whole thing is shutting down so fast that nothing will exist of the world as we have known it before hyperinflation kicks in. We are, however, experiencing inflated food prices already.

Expect hungry people to start stealing everything not nailed down soon. And since nobody in their neighborhood has anything left to steal, that means they will be coming to YOUR backyard.

+1

In "good" times the 40% unemployment amoungst Americanized Africans living in Norfolk meant they TRIED to rob us a least 5 times (no joke)...(not counting felons in the south who cant vote, or get a job).
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bodigami » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 15:05:55

smiley wrote:
smallpoxgirl wrote:This is a very normal activity by the fed. They regularly buy treasuries using created money. Controlling whether they're buying more treasuries, or letting the treasuries they have expire is one of the biggest tools they use to control the money supply. You can argue that the money supply is too big or too small, but getting upset about the fed buying treasuries is just silly.

The fed has bought treasuries in the past, but the amount and the time in which they are going to buy them now is way beyond anything they have done before. They are going at it Japanese style.

This is not normal and a dollar drop of 5% in 24hrs is ample proof that the rest of the world does not consider this business as usual.

Although I do not reccommend to get "upset" about it, (as there are much greater things in life than watching the ticker at CNBC, and the fate of the Mogambo should serve as a warning to us all,) it certainly wouldn't be silly to poor yourself a good glass of single malt and ponder on what might be considered a very significant day by future historians.

What's a mogambo?
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby misterno » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 16:34:35

1) US dollar will never lose value. The whole world is hungry for dollar more than ever before. Cuz they do not trust their own monies. Any of us living in overseas, will confirm you this

2) Illuminati and Israel will never let US dollar collapse yet alone collapse of the American economy. America is a masonic state not a democracy.
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby sameu » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 17:01:23

yeah well we'll see about that
sameu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby patience » Sun 22 Mar 2009, 18:23:52

Sold to you, sameu. I'm betting on a dollar crash/devaluation within a year. Could be sooner.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby ubercrap » Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:56:06

bodinagamin wrote:
smiley wrote:
smallpoxgirl wrote:This is a very normal activity by the fed. They regularly buy treasuries using created money. Controlling whether they're buying more treasuries, or letting the treasuries they have expire is one of the biggest tools they use to control the money supply. You can argue that the money supply is too big or too small, but getting upset about the fed buying treasuries is just silly.

The fed has bought treasuries in the past, but the amount and the time in which they are going to buy them now is way beyond anything they have done before. They are going at it Japanese style.

This is not normal and a dollar drop of 5% in 24hrs is ample proof that the rest of the world does not consider this business as usual.

Although I do not reccommend to get "upset" about it, (as there are much greater things in life than watching the ticker at CNBC, and the fate of the Mogambo should serve as a warning to us all,) it certainly wouldn't be silly to poor yourself a good glass of single malt and ponder on what might be considered a very significant day by future historians.

What's a mogambo?

I'm not sure what they mean either. The Mogambo Guru is a persona/column written by financial consultant Richard Daughty, in which he is sort of panicked and obsessive in a hilarious way. I don't read it regularly, but I'm recalling that he often complains that nobody is listening to him when he is "sounding the alarm bells." Maybe the poster means he has been crying wolf? I don't believe anything has happened to him specifically, like a heart attack, or something.
ubercrap
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance