PeakOil is You

THE Glacier Thread (merged)

Re: Mertz Glacier is cracking up

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 12 May 2009, 11:18:57

I love Lucy. :)
vision-master

Re: Antarctic Wilkins ice shelf set to collapse

Unread postby GregWatson » Sun 17 May 2009, 06:55:24

The biggest of the old ice bridge sections is now on the extreme left.

Good bye Wilkins.

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/wil ... 0m_img.jpg

Greg
GregWatson
Coal
Coal

Unread postby lowem » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 07:45:12

From rather crude calculations, that's probably around 56 cm or around 1.8 feet in global sea level rise, all nice and melted.

Great. Keep those gigantic icebergs coming.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 08:15:28

The Mertz Glacier Tongue (67°10′S 145°30′E / 67.167°S 145.5°E / -67.167; 145.5 (Mertz Glacier Tongue)) is about 45 miles (72 km) long and 25 miles (40 km) wide.

As I understand it, the tounge is floating ice extending from the glacier. So only ~half of the threatening 'burg is not already displacing water.

Does anyone know where this is on the continent? If there is a tsunami I am just wondering where the threat would be.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 13:55:25

Cur, the Mertz Glacier is close to Commonwealth Bay, which is at about 70 S and 140 E, so I'm guessing a tsunami wave
would go north towards Tasmania and somewhere between Melbourne and Adelaide?

See below.

http://www.aad.gov.au/asset/information ... astAAT.GIF
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby spotacus » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 15:38:35

Tsunamis from melting glaciers is not something I know about, I could be wrong. Shouldn't we look at this as just another line of evidence that the world is warming rather then a direct threat. It would be interesting to know how long this ice formation was there.
spotacus
Peat
Peat

Unread postby WildRose » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 16:50:28

spotacus wrote:Tsunamis from melting glaciers is not something I know about, I could be wrong. Shouldn't we look at this as just another line of evidence that the world is warming rather then a direct threat.

Also, wouldn't it take quite a number of years for the iceberg to reach waters that would be warm enough to melt it?
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sjn » Mon 01 Jun 2009, 20:07:25

WildRose wrote:
spotacus wrote:Tsunamis from melting glaciers is not something I know about, I could be wrong. Shouldn't we look at this as just another line of evidence that the world is warming rather then a direct threat.
Also, wouldn't it take quite a number of years for the iceberg to reach waters that would be warm enough to melt it?

I don't really understand your point. The tsunami would be caused by the calving of the iceberg, as it enters the sea. Once it's no longer land-bound it will displace an equal volume of water whether it's liquid or solid as mentioned above by dohboi.
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Tue 02 Jun 2009, 03:58:36

Perhaps that it would be quite the obstacle to navigate around?
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby VMarcHart » Tue 02 Jun 2009, 09:07:14

WildRose wrote:Also, wouldn't it take quite a number of years for the iceberg to reach waters that would be warm enough to melt it?
It says in the article.
When it breaks off, the iceberg won't melt straight away because it could take up to 30 years for the currents to move it to water that is warm enough to melt the ice.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby WildRose » Tue 02 Jun 2009, 10:14:48

sjn wrote:
WildRose wrote:

I don't really understand your point. The tsunami would be caused by the calving of the iceberg, as it enters the sea. Once it's no longer land-bound it will displace an equal volume of water whether it's liquid or solid as mentioned above by dohboi.

Ahh, I get it now. Like when a very large person gets into bathtub almost full of water.
WildRose
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Peruvian Glaciers

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 12:30:15

I was watching The State of the Planet's Ocean and a segment explored that in as early as 2 years, Peru's glacier could be gone, stranding most of Lima metro's 9 millions inhabitants without readily available potable water.

Is this really credible?

I find very fascinating and scary, that doom predictions we thought would happen when I was old, now will happen just 2 years away.

Where will all these people go?
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Peruvian Glaciers

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 12:38:36

VMarcHart wrote:... in as early as 2 years, Peru's glacier could be gone, stranding most of Lima metro's 9 millions inhabitants without readily available potable water. Is this really credible?

Seems like a valid conclusion. And, they are not alone in their predicament.
VMarcHart wrote:... Where will all these people go?

Nowhere. As resources run out, what country (countries) do you know that will be willing to take in refugees and use up valuable resources?
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 12:43:55

This is why immigration will be a key player in doom. It may start at the national level but will likely cascade all the way down to cities and towns. There will be endless debates about how many people can fit into various lifeboats (some of which already overloaded) and what to do with those who are scrambling to get on board.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 12:45:38

Ferretlover wrote:Nowhere. As resources run out, what country (countries) do you know that will be willing to take in refugees and use up valuable resources?

In the short term, many will, including the US, because we remain so ignorant on carrying capacity. It won't last, but the damage will largely be done before the drawbridge goes up.
mos6507

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 13:47:58

mos6507 wrote:In the short term, many will, including the US, because we remain so ignorant on carrying capacity.
Absolutely, but not entirely because of carrying capacity ignorance. The Latino and other upcoming foreign-based minorites are key to win elections, and legislators will have to abide.

And further, the US is "obligated" to take on people, and it is "obligated" to help other nations.

Back to the topic, is this disinformation propaganda, or will those glaciers be gone in 2 years?
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FoolYap » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 14:01:12

VMarcHart wrote:Back to the topic, is this disinformation propaganda, or will those glaciers be gone in 2 years?

Do you think that PBS regularly resorts to "disinformation propaganda"? Just curious if you have any examples of that?

Worldwide, the trend is towards rapidly vanishing glaciers. If this particular show was dramatically wrong in its worst-case predictions, I would think the science refuting that would be easy to google up.

--Steve
FoolYap
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 14:18:30

VMarcHart wrote:Back to the topic, is this disinformation propaganda, or will those glaciers be gone in 2 years?

Would it make much of a difference if it happened in 4 - 6 years?

This will be happening all over the planet. As rivers dry up in the next several years an aquifers become depleted, expect to see many millions of refugees.

There will be a faint attempt here in the US to assist in the problem until it becomes clear that we are under the same hammer. Borders will close, protectionism will be all the rage and the world will slowly unwind.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 16:10:39

VMarcHart wrote:I was watching The State of the Planet's Ocean and a segment explored that in as early as 2 years, Peru's glacier could be gone, stranding most of Lima metro's 9 millions inhabitants without readily available potable water.

Is this really credible?

I find very fascinating and scary, that doom predictions we thought would happen when I was old, now will happen just 2 years away.

Lime < Peru. So long as they avoid civil disorder they will be able to shift population within the country and keep everyone supplied. I am a lot more concerned about irrigated farmland than I am about mobile citizenry in a peaceful country, building new pipelines is expensive and time consuming compared to packing up the U-Haul and setting up a tent city until things get figured out.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Lore » Sat 27 Jun 2009, 16:31:30

Tanada wrote:
VMarcHart wrote:I was watching The State of the Planet's Ocean and a segment explored that in as early as 2 years, Peru's glacier could be gone, stranding most of Lima metro's 9 millions inhabitants without readily available potable water.

Is this really credible?

Lime < Peru. So long as they avoid civil disorder they will be able to shift population within the country and keep everyone supplied. I am a lot more concerned about irrigated farmland than I am about mobile citizenry in a peaceful country, building new pipelines is expensive and time consuming compared to packing up the U-Haul and setting up a tent city until things get figured out.

Isn't that the point though? Where will starving, thirsty citizenry move to in a starving country?

I wonder how long the residence of Phoenix and Las Vegas will wait around until a pipeline is built from Lake Michigan? Of course they can move, but that would entail literally splitting ones own pie among a growing and needy population. You have to ask yourself, how long could each of us support a houseful of guests on our present grocery budget? A budget that will soon be busted by the very same thing that drove them to your door step.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate