Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

HR 2749

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: HR 2749

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 13:18:23

Jotapay wrote:Man, just roll over and play dead already.

Why? Just because our government's chosen to go the route of slow tyranny doesn't imply that I have to all of a sudden hate life. Sheesh. Even in an Imperial dictatorship; there is commerce, life, family, and community. I hold no illusions about having the power to fend off government intrusions; the real key to me seems to be to try and understand what and where the government WANTS to intrude upon, and choose not to be there.

Government wants their share of the cereal in the box, and meat on the counter; thus this bill. They will not want anything to do with Bob on the corner selling 1/4 bushels of tomatoes to passing locals, thus my attitude concerning the paranoia expressed about its effects on homesteaders gardens.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 13:21:51

AgentR wrote:They will not want anything to do with Bob on the corner selling 1/4 bushels of tomatoes to passing locals, thus my attitude concerning the paranoia expressed about its effects on homesteaders gardens.

Unless they really do want Bob for some reason. Then they have dozens of offenses to slap on him, as GNM said.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 14:05:50

Jotapay wrote:Unless they really do want Bob for some reason. Then they have dozens of offenses to slap on him, as GNM said.

They already have that, and have had that for a few decades now.

The point is, if they are after Bob, it won't be because of selling some tomatoes.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gnm » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 14:13:33

AgentR wrote:
Jotapay wrote:Unless they really do want Bob for some reason. Then they have dozens of offenses to slap on him, as GNM said.

They already have that, and have had that for a few decades now.

The point is, if they are after Bob, it won't be because of selling some tomatoes.

Possibly but what good is increasing the fascism? Are you just playing devils advocate here or do you think this legislations is a _good_ thing? :evil:

-G
gnm

Unread postby Umber » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 14:50:32

I'm beginning to think I'm lucky to live in the midst of Redneckville.

No need for me to worry about the gov't frowning 'n frothing at the mouth 'n levying taxes and fines on me for selling produce or animals. I can't sell any vegetables or chickens because the damned neighbors STEAL them before I get a chance.

That's right. Thieving bastids will come in under cover of darkness and steal the 'maters... or the squash... or the melons. They take whatever strikes their fancy, it seems, including the eggs from my chickens. I'm surprised they haven't taken the chickens, as well.

The part that irks me the most, though, is that they LITTER as they steal from me. I don't know how many times I've walked out into the garden and found the vegetables gone and the ground littered with nearly useless FRNs. Same in the hen house. Eggs stolen, bills strewn on the floor.

The local cops got tired of me calling them about all the stuff going missing and now won't come to the house if I call. I am so distraught! I don't know where to turn with this problem.

(Sigh)

Umber
Umber

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 16 Jun 2009, 15:24:53

gnm wrote:Possibly but what good is increasing the fascism? Are you just playing devils advocate here or do you think this legislations is a _good_ thing?

I think its a neutral thing. I'm not particularly offended or concerned about it. I don't think it will work out the way the tin foil hat folks are suggesting. And the notion that Monsanto would give one tail-scratch about how many tomatoes Bob sells out of his truck is just ludicrous.

To my reading, it appears designed in such a way that its the umbrella, and then Federal Regs are set that define the context of stuff subject to the bill; which will clearly indicate what they are looking for; ie; food processing plants that do tons and tons of product; which rely on process and procedure to avoid contamination. Bob, hand picking 6 bushels of tomatoes and sitting on the road side in his truck with them isn't want they are interested in.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby 35Kas » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 00:58:49

Umber, buy a shotgun and wait them out by the chicken coup, hidden. When they come up, kill them.

Put a knife on their hand (wearing gloves), and call the police, saying you caught someone stealing and they rushed you with a knife and you had to shot to safe yourself. That's a free pass to kill.
35Kas
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Umber » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 01:41:14

35Kas wrote:Umber, buy a shotgun and wait them out by the chicken coup, hidden. When they come up, kill them.

Put a knife on their hand (wearing gloves), and call the police, saying you caught someone stealing and they rushed you with a knife and you had to shot to safe yourself. That's a free pass to kill.

Well, actually no one is stealing anything around the homestead here. What I was attempting to do with my little story of thievery and money left behind by the thieves was to illustrate one of many ways that someone could circumvent the intent of HR 2749. Not that I would ever advise anyone to break any law passed by our noble and honorable congresscritters. No, sir, not me, not ever.

But sometimes (or most of the time) my intentions are murky and my illustrations too obtuse. :oops:

Sorry about that. And thanks for the well intentioned advice.

Umber
Umber

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 08:03:56

But sometimes (or most of the time) my intentions are murky and my illustrations too obtuse.

Ha, I understood it. I liked it. Maybe 35Kas didn't get the FRN reference (Federal Reserve Notes, or dollars).
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to North America Discussion