Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wither Al Franken?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Franken win means Dem. super-majority in Senate

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:10:01

Yes, I'd like to know if he can get sworn in before a vote is held on the climate bill. This could be a big deal.
mos6507

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:13:23

I'm guessing that the climate bill is going to get so bogged down in committees that Franken will be sworn in long before it comes up.

We can only hope that it is changed by the senate into something that actually reduces our negative impact on the climate, but I'm not holding my breath.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Meet Minnesota's Newest Senator !!!

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:14:20

vision-master wrote:
A three-judge panel today required Republican Norm Coleman to pay Democrat Al Franken $94,783 to cover court costs in the seven-week U.S. Senate trial.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/nat ... 94802.html

HAHA!

Coleman got OOOOOWNED!

mos6507

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:15:25

I voted for Franken. :)
vision-master

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:17:01

dohboi wrote:I'm guessing that the climate bill is going to get so bogged down in committees that Franken will be sworn in long before it comes up.

We can only hope that it is changed by the senate into something that actually reduces our negative impact on the climate, but I'm not holding my breath.

an not drive us into poverty. :shock:
vision-master

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:19:04

The Repubs and their bankster friends have done a heck of a job of that already, thank you.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:19:12

vision-master wrote:Well, it's one Jew or the other. :lol:

You really are a dick, aren't you. I thought this sort of overt racism went out with the 60s. Do you realize how unfunny this is? I can't imagine what it would be like to be your neighbor with you making these sorts of tasteless cracks over the BBQ. An Archie Bunker wearing a tinfoil hat. What a wate of protoplasm.

Last edited by mos6507 on Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:26:02, edited 1 time in total.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:24:03

vision-master wrote:I voted for Franken. :)

Why didn't you write in David Duke?
mos6507

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:27:41

mos6507 wrote:
vision-master wrote:Well, it's one Jew or the other. :lol:

You really are a dick, aren't you. I thought this sort of overt racism went out with the 60s. Do you realize how unfunny this is? I can't imagine what it would be like to be your neighbor with you making these sorts of tasteless cracks over the BBQ. An Archie Bunker wearing a tinfoil hat. What a wate of protoplasm.

Norm Coleman is working for......
The Republican Jewish Coalition (RJC) (formerly the National Jewish Coalition), founded in 1985, is a political lobbying group in the United States that advocates Jewish support for the Republican Party. The RJC states that it is the most important voice on Republican issues for the Jewish-American community. The RJC has 44 chapters throughout the United States.
vision-master

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:45:39

dohboi wrote:We can only hope that it is changed by the senate into something that actually reduces our negative impact on the climate, but I'm not holding my breath.

At this point, the only way to reduce our negative impact significantly, is to reduce our economic prosperity and put an end to economic growth. Plain and simple.

Problem is, doing so also makes it impossible to satisfy the demands of other segments of the Democratic party. Basically, I don't think they can do, what they should do, and still be electable in 2016. I suspect a tough looking bill will pass, with enough loopholes and flaws that allows continued expansion of the worldwide industrial economy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if more industrial jobs are moved overseas, and I suspect the bill will be devoid of any language that would both tax overseas polluting processes and survive contact with the various trade treaties which would have legal priority over normal legislative and regulatory text.

ie, suspect something like, "x-odd dollars per ton of emissions on imported products Y and Z"; which then gets touched by the WTO, labeled as "unfair" and turned in to zero dollars per ton of emissions on imported products Y and Z..

Same products being consumed, same emissions released into the atmosphere, with the added bonus of even more emissions released in order to move the products to their original market. Think of it as a sucker punch to localization.
Yes, we are. As we are.
And so shall we remain; Until the end.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 17:48:36

Still, it will be nice to see the Democrats fully in charge, showing their true colors, and still desperate to blame everything bad that happens on the Republicans.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pablonite » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:04:36

AlexdeLarge wrote:The first rule of diaper club is..... "You don't talk about diaper club".
The second rule of diaper club is ....." YOU DON"T TALK ABOUT DIAPER CLUB !!!"

Now THAT is some funny shit!
VZR1800 wrote:But that is the type of folk we choose to be electing these days, from DC on up.
No, you can vote but when every puppet politician you can vote for is owned one in way or the other by the same people, you are just supporting the illusion of choice that manifests in your "elections". Besides, politicians are not making the big decisions, the "on up" are, they are your owners.
mos6507 wrote:I thought this sort of overt racism went out with the 60s.

No, that is when being "politically correct" came in, and look where we are now!
One the one hand Jews have been labelled badly, on the other hand they do seem to be running quite a bit of the US adminsitration.
There are little Jews and big Jews, we all know the big ones are the trouble and the little ones their shield. Why else do "hate crime" laws only seem to apply to Jews? Because they wrote the laws and have the judges in their backpockets.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:17:12

mos6507 wrote:
Why don't you post a picture of yourself. I think we'd all like to dissect your imperfections. I mean, if you can dish it, can you take it?

Here you go Mos......................wet dreams buttercup! LOL

Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:19:27

Unfortunately, after the Dems screw everything up royally, the Repubs will get back into power and screw it up differently.

Let's give the Libertarians a try...

TF
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:24:00

mos6507 wrote:HAHA!
Coleman got OOOOOWNED!

I hardly see how paying a normal campaign cost is being "owned". Its part of the law about election contests and recounts. Its a miniscule amount.

Owned would be losing 30-70.
Stupid would be failing to fight in court when the difference is less than the margin of error on recount.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:42:53

TreeFarmer wrote:Let's give the Libertarians a try...
TF

I don't see how a libertarian approach and 10+ trillion dollars of debt can be made to reconcile. Not to mention the trillions in unfunded pension liabilities hiding in the weeds that no one wants to talk about.

the time came.. and went.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:54:17

TreeFarmer wrote:Let's give the Libertarians a try...

Libertarians don't give a rat's ass about the environment.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 18:58:46

AgentR wrote:Stupid would be failing to fight in court when the difference is less than the margin of error on recount.

The only thing he accomplished was shortening Franken's term slightly with all of the delaying tactics. He shouldn't have taken it through this many appeals. He just didn't have the evidence to win.
mos6507

Unread postby AgentR » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 19:09:55

mos6507 wrote:The only thing he accomplished was shortening Franken's term slightly with all of the delaying tactics. He shouldn't have taken it through this many appeals. He just didn't have the evidence to win.

Doesn't really matter; his supporters would have been very disappointed had he not fought the legal fight to its finish, considering how close the vote was.

Kinda the downside of mail-in and absentee balloting is when the victory margin falls within the error margin. The people that will be willing to participate in your next campaign will be less likely to do so if you are not willing to hang with the fight.
Yes, we are. As we are.
AgentR
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Tue 30 Jun 2009, 19:11:01

mos6507 wrote:
AgentR wrote:Stupid would be failing to fight in court when the difference is less than the margin of error on recount.

The only thing he accomplished was shortening Franken's term slightly with all of the delaying tactics. He shouldn't have taken it through this many appeals. He just didn't have the evidence to win.

The 'funny' part is that initially after the election when Coleman was barely ahead, he was calling for Franken to call it quits. Then as soon as he's behind, he drags it out as long as legally possible. Hypocrite. Wait, he's a politician, we already knew that.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion