Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dollar hegemony for another century

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Dollar hegemony for another century

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 15:14:54

Lots of people in this thread are thinking way too short term. This guy is talking 30+ years from now. Notice he titled his piece "Dollar hegemony for another Century." Any issues with AIG and so on will be ancient history by then.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 15:16:34

crude_intentions wrote:To rebuild the industrial core you need competive wages with China, Mexico, . . .

He addressed this in the article.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 17:51:50

Forget competitive wages. American industrialists have voted with their feet and invested in China en masse and they aren't going to move back to America so as the workforce can be paid previously marked up wages. Nor is American labour going to offer itself at Chinese rates. I see the US labour force being shepherded into financial and other services, casualised or consigned to long term state dependence. Thats where I disagree with Evans.

The co-opted elites from China, India, Brazil, Russia, the non-Anglo EU and elsewhere have increasingly become and will remain increasingly, dependant on Anglos to both shelter their manufacturing wealth as well as capitalise on it through passive instruments. That ain't about to change. Don't believe me. Watch the news and ponder.

OilFinder2 wrote:
crude_intentions wrote:To rebuild the industrial core you need competive wages with China, Mexico, . . .

americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 18:32:47

Useful link for those who think the US is about to decline:

http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archives/w ... pitalists/
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby highlander » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 18:50:19

While America used to be a nation under the rule of laws, we now are under the tyranny of rules. When DC fatcats get to decide which banks fail and which succeed, generally based on political contributions, we no longer have the rule of law. We will be ruled by a dictator who gets his marching orders from Goldman-Sachs et al.
The rich will be OK, the rest of us just peons.
This is where everybody puts profound words written by another...or not so profound words written by themselves
Highlander 2007
highlander
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 19:15:36

They spent vast trillions fighting the Cold War and defeated unions, labour, government by the people and egalitarian values. To the victor go the spoils.

highlander wrote:While America used to be a nation under the rule of laws, we now are under the tyranny of rules. When DC fatcats get to decide which banks fail and which succeed, generally based on political contributions, we no longer have the rule of law. We will be ruled by a dictator who gets his marching orders from Goldman-Sachs et al.
The rich will be OK, the rest of us just peons.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 20:29:39

highlander wrote:While America used to be a nation under the rule of laws, we now are under the tyranny of rules. The rich will be OK, the rest of us just peons.

So what's new?
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 20:33:03

The facts. :lol:

Revi wrote:
highlander wrote:While America used to be a nation under the rule of laws, we now are under the tyranny of rules. The rich will be OK, the rest of us just peons.

So what's new?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 22 Oct 2009, 22:19:54

americandream wrote:Forget competitive wages. American industrialists have voted with their feet and invested in China en masse and they aren't going to move back to America so as the workforce can be paid previously marked up wages. Nor is American labour going to offer itself at Chinese rates. I see the US labour force being shepherded into financial and other services, casualised or consigned to long term state dependence. Thats where I disagree with Evans.

The co-opted elites from China, India, Brazil, Russia, the non-Anglo EU and elsewhere have increasingly become and will remain increasingly, dependant on Anglos to both shelter their manufacturing wealth as well as capitalise on it through passive instruments. That ain't about to change. Don't believe me. Watch the news and ponder.

OilFinder2 wrote:

Spot on again. So this seems to suggest those with something left to invest should expect this shift to continue as a forgone conclusion? Also that the majority of younger people can look forward to living hand to mouth with no assets building; praying the oldies have something left after the nursing home and the funerals.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby cipi604 » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 11:54:30

Can the so proud about the dollar americans give us a technical explanation to how will an organism like USA survive without the daily transplant of oil? and with Mexico in the cards too...
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JJ » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 12:48:51

cipi604 wrote:Can the so proud about the dollar americans give us a technical explanation to how will an organism like USA survive without the daily transplant of oil? and with Mexico in the cards too...

we here in the USA owe you no explanation. Our way of life is non-negotiable. and don't you forget it.

sarcasm off.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mrobert » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 14:22:18

Please allow me to share my opinion here.

I am from a country that recently joined the EU and spent most of my life working with and for americans, and mainly revolving around the US market.

What I like about the american society is that is one that rewards people that work and encourages them to move ahead. As a society they are united and rarely tend to turn on each other.

Over here in Europe, it's right the opposite. A very "happy" society as long as some of us are willing to work, pay taxes through our eyeballs and keep the rest supplied with everything.
I used to drive a 1.4 liter engine car, and now I bought one which has a 2.2 liter engine. It was immediately considered a luxury, polluting the fine clear air, and my yearly tax went up almost 5 times what I have previously paid. Off course, a poorly maintained POS diesel that leaves a fine black smoke trail, is considered eco-friendly, and barely taxed.

Being the owner of a small software development studio, I am on the borderline of being considered some mobster making money through shady business. Nobody sees work, innovation and the such, as a good thing for society.

Everybody is talking about oil, yuans, the euro, and what else, but we forget to look at the obvious.
How a society exists and interacts, who owns most (if not all) the technology that makes our lives so great.

On the long run, I bet on the USD.
And whenever I buy something "Made in the USA" it tends to perform better and outlast whatever is Made in China, etc.
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby americandream » Fri 23 Oct 2009, 15:29:00

The same way the rest of the world will. Die-off. Jealousy doth not for objectivity make.

America is the global policeman for private wealth because the world's rich (including those in Canada) gave her the nod (along with the co-opted masses in democracies). Placed her on the pedestal of defender of freedom. Hid behind her skirts when she took on the USSR. Where were all you angry people when it mattered?

All I can say is take your medicine. You wanted it.

cipi604 wrote:Can the so proud about the dollar americans give us a technical explanation to how will an organism like USA survive without the daily transplant of oil? and with Mexico in the cards too...
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby hironegro » Fri 30 Oct 2009, 18:24:17

Why would any country in a globalized economy not want a stable currency? SDR makes the most sense for the planet in general.
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Unread postby americandream » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 03:54:08

Who will defend a global currency in the event of one or other core index countries in the basket going rogue?

hironegro wrote:Why would any country in a globalized economy not want a stable currency? SDR makes the most sense for the planet in general.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Scactha » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 06:24:17

Here´s the history. We have had about ten thousand years of civilisation. China has been the economical center of the planet up until the industrial revolution. USA has been the center during fifty years of division as the leader of team blue. That time is over and the anomaly is correcting itself.
Scactha
Peat
Peat

Unread postby americandream » Sat 31 Oct 2009, 16:05:16

Oh please spare me this China drivel.

You guys in the West are sucking China's butt 'cos they're propping you up whilst they work their butts off for a bowl of rice. A few decades back it was the Japs. Don't peddle this claptrap when we all know the only reason Wall Street sucks up to China is 'cos it owns it. Had it not, it would have done a Saddam on the place ages ago.

Scactha wrote:Here´s the history. We have had about ten thousand years of civilisation. China has been the economical center of the planet up until the industrial revolution. USA has been the center during fifty years of division as the leader of team blue. That time is over and the anomaly is correcting itself.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance