Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dentistry

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Home dentists of the future

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 09:14:31

Put a slice of this between your teeth and cheek, hold

Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby cynthia » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 10:02:10

Tooth pain-you just can't get away from it. I'm sorry for your discomfort.
I've had dramatic results using homeopathy. But then you need someone who is versed in this fine art to know which of the remedies suits your case.
Clove oil dripped around the offending tooth is probably a little more effective than dry cloves.
Plantain (common) [Plantago major] is a good toothache reliever. Crushed leaves could be applied to face or a tea made with the leaves. Oil of plantain dripped around the offending tooth another application.
I caution the use of peroxide. I dilute it (even the weak solution of 3%, which is what is available in the US over the counter) 50/50 with water. Hold a small amount in your mouth for a minute. You'll be spitting out foam for a few minutes thereafter so rinse that too so as not to swallow the bacteria and peroxide residue.
Good luck. You'll feel like a new person once your procedure is done.
cynthia
cynthia
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Schmuto » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 11:09:48

katkinkate wrote:So I was wondering if you would share with me the techniques you know to control toothache.

1. Brush your teeth twice per day.
2. Do not drink any soda, do not eat candy, and avoid refined suger as much as possible.

That has given me 25 years of no toothache.
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Goatlady » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 14:31:30

Around our place it's;

1. Swish with Hydrogen Peroxide
2. Clove oil or crushed cloves on area hurting.
3. mega doses of vitamin C and packing the area in vitamin C.
4. eating or taking raw garlic hourly.
5. colloidal silver poured on area.

We always take a good multivitamin everyday and take care of our teeth, but every now and again - a pain in the mouth arrives......
Goatlady
Wood
Wood

Unread postby papalegba » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 22:10:44

Oh, I sympathize with you katkinkate... I've been there, it's horrible.

In my experience, clove oil helps a little, but I really think that for the home dentistry of the future - and a lot of other medical procedures as well - we're going to have to be cultivating poppies. Apparently all of them contain some opiate, some much more than others, but you might try a making a tea with whatever kind of poppy you can find.

A couple of years ago when I was in severe pain after an accident, I was given morphine in the hospital. It was funny how it worked; it didn't really kill the pain, I just cared a lot less...
papalegba
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 12:50:46

it helps to learn dentist-speak. helps you to have more control over your dental care, that is.

adult human beings have 32 teeth, including the wisdom teeth.

tooth numbering starts with the upper right wisdom tooth being #1. then the teeth are numbered consecutively, so that the upper left wisdom tooth is tooth #16.

lower left wisdom tooth is #17, lower right wisdom tooth is #32.

for example, if you have all 4 wisdom teeth removed, your teeth numbering will be 2 through 15, and 18 through 31. your "buck teeth" - 2 large teeth in front on the top - are #8 and #9.

the surface of a tooth towards the front is "Mesial". although what is 'towards the front' changes, e.g. the mesial surface of tooth #8, your "right buck tooth", is facing towards the left.

back surface of the tooth is "Distal."

surface on the side of the tongue is "Lingual" (sometimes also called "Palatine"), surface on the outside is "Buccal".

Chewing surfaces are "Incisal" (on non-molars - teeth near the front), and "Occlusal" (on the molars).

so if you're looking at your dental records and you see "#21 caries L D", it means that one of your teeth on the lower left has decay on the Lingual and Distal surfaces, and you will be paying for a 2 surface filling.

one of the things that dentists are doing these days is trying to scare patients into having "deep scaling". that means, tooth cleaning on teeth that have some gum recession. i had a dental office try to get me to sign up for 4 deep-scaling sessions at a cost of $300 each. i went to another office and had a normal tooth cleaning for about $100.

so that's the Mug Root Beer tooth information session for today. although since learning this stuff, i have given up Mug Root Beer. i calculated that i was paying about $4 to the dentist for every Mug Root Beer and Sierra Mist i drank.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Jellric » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 14:02:40

I hope you have gotten some relief by now.

Last fall I had a bad toothache (they always seem to happen on weekends) and had a root canal. About a week after the root canal I woke to find the gum around the tooth swollen horribly and black and blue. So a trip to the emergency room and demoral is sooo good.

I have since learned of a plant known as "toothache herb" or spilanthes. Its effects are synergistic. It numbs the area, is antibiotic and increases the flow of saliva. Btw, the active ingredient spilanthol is supposed to also be effective against blood parasites so perhaps it is good for Lyme disease as well.

I plan to have some oil on hand and grow the plant if I'm in a suitable area at the time.

Barring that I would try putting the patient to sleep using mandrake (the anesthetic of choice for centuries up until fairly recently) and someone less squeemish than myself would have to do the pulling!
Jellric
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JimG » Wed 18 Feb 2009, 12:28:57

I need to get immersed in home dentistry...as myself and family have been lucky thus far. I always wanted a set of those picks that the hygenists use. Hey, I can scrape, it's simple!

My dentist is just OK, but I always get 20-25 minutes of quality time with the hygenists who tell me how boring my mouth is...this is a compliment.

I've had oral surgery when I was 14, pre-orthodontia, so I only have 24 teeth. Never had a cavity, never had any drilling, crowns, caps, or any such stuff.

We don't drink soda, eat very little candy. and yeah, I brush about 6 times a day. : )
Jim G.
JimG
Peat
Peat

Unread postby alokin » Thu 19 Feb 2009, 07:32:34

and dental floss!
I had heaps of cavities until I really brushed my teeth after every meal and do not eat sweets between the meals (no juices, fruits etc.as well) actually I try not to eat between the meals at all.
I don't think we will have problems with dentists at least not in our lifetime, maybe they will fill cavities in a more suffering way, and maybe you will not pay them with money and bring them some apples but all the dentists won't disappear.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Dentistry

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 13 Apr 2022, 22:44:40

Had to get two fillings today, one upper one lower on the left side. Three large shots of numbing agent that took about six hours to wear off but I am extremely thankful to live at a time in a culture where excellent painkillers are available. When I was very young I had an "old school" dentist who firmly believed that the pain of drilling was an incentive for kids to do a better job brushing their teeth. The first time I received anesthetic for tooth drilling I was 14 and refused to allow him to work on me without numbing me up first like my school friends told me their dentists always did for them. As I matured I concluded that now long deceased dentist was a sadist who enjoyed inflicting pain on his patients, especially the ones to young and inexperienced to know their were painless ways to have your dental work done.

I shudder to think what it would be like living in a collapsed civilization where a broken tooth from poorly prepared food could lead to infection and death in short order. Archeologist/anthropologists examining ancient remains have found a number of well preserved bodies that died from abscessed teeth, the infections leave clear damage in the bone structure that doesn't heal if it kills you. They also have proof of people who survived abscesses where bone repair/regrowth took place and the person died of some later event. Those were the people with good immune systems who had someone knowledgeable enough to drain the abscess and as often as not extract the broken tooth remnant. I had to have two abscessed teeth extracted a decade ago and that required a full course of strong antibiotics to shrink the infection down before extraction. Unfortunately I had been suffering long enough that the bone damage made extraction the best option. Again, I am very glad I live in a time with powerful numbing agents and modern antibiotics.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dentistry

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 14 Jan 2024, 13:28:41

It has been over two years since I had the All-on-4 implant surgery done and I have zero complaints about it. The new teeth are just like my original teeth as far as function and feel go, but of course with zero pain. Typical dentures bear down on the gums causing discomfort, they also move around, and have to be removed regularly when food is trapped under them. None of this applies to the implant dentures/bridges because they bear down on the bone, like natural teeth, and a small gap between them and the gums make cleaning easy. Just the swishing of water back and forth in your mouth is typically enough to remove any food trapped under them.

They are not cheap but I have seen people spend more on cars and I'd rather have an old car and good functional teeth than the reverse. The peak of western civilization may well have been in the 1970's but we have seen some great innovations since then. This is one of them.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Medical Issues Forum