Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Georgia Guidestones Thread (merged)

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: THE Georgia Guidestones Thread (merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 11:01:43

It appears that very early this morning someone set off an explosive device with the intent of destroying the Georgia Guidestones.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/georgia-g ... n/40525569
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 17:00:49

Update, the explosive charge went of at or near 4AM as reported by several nearby residents who heard the detonation. One of the five pillars has been completely shattered and the cap stone has two large pieces broken off. Security cameras were installed at the sire several years ago after vandals spray painted the granite requiring expensive reconditioning. The guidestones attract 20,000 visitors a year from around the world because of their unique character and a full damage assessment has not yet been made.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 17:41:54

Tanada wrote:Update, the explosive charge went of at or near 4AM as reported by several nearby residents who heard the detonation. One of the five pillars has been completely shattered and the cap stone has two large pieces broken off. Security cameras were installed at the sire several years ago after vandals spray painted the granite requiring expensive reconditioning. The guidestones attract 20,000 visitors a year from around the world because of their unique character and a full damage assessment has not yet been made.

The stone workers in Barre Vermont will happily make them a new one if they have pictures of the lettering to go by. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 18:01:28

vtsnowedin wrote:
Tanada wrote:Update, the explosive charge went of at or near 4AM as reported by several nearby residents who heard the detonation. One of the five pillars has been completely shattered and the cap stone has two large pieces broken off. Security cameras were installed at the sire several years ago after vandals spray painted the granite requiring expensive reconditioning. The guidestones attract 20,000 visitors a year from around the world because of their unique character and a full damage assessment has not yet been made.

The stone workers in Barre Vermont will happily make them a new one if they have pictures of the lettering to go by. :)

Elberton Monuments just down the road is Barre's biggest competitor east of the Mississippi.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 18:32:38

Well I suppose for something as simple as that the local good ol boys will do. :) . But if you need something fancy like a Madonna statue of a surface plate polished to microns call Barre.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby C8 » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 21:10:54

Leanan started this thread so long ago. I think she was the Oildrum mod. I wonder whatever happened to her.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 06 Jul 2022, 22:14:42

C8 wrote:Leanan started this thread so long ago. I think she was the Oildrum mod. I wonder whatever happened to her.

That was in 2004 which is four years before I joined the discussion. I don't recall ever reading any of her posts. A lot of people have joined here, batted a few ideas around then moved on.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Jul 2022, 07:50:45

Well they tore it down for “safety reasons”.

I would contribute to having it rebuilt.

Not that I agree with every bit if it, of that it was well stated, but it was the best to date.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 07 Jul 2022, 10:09:18

Newfie wrote:Well they tore it down for “safety reasons”.

I would contribute to having it rebuilt.

Not that I agree with every bit if it, of that it was well stated, but it was the best to date.

There is a maintenance fund that has paid for cleaning off spray paint and so on and the county gets tourist dollars from some 20,000 visitors a year into the local economy. No idea if the fund is enough to completely restore the monument or if the county wants the tourist funds enough to pay part of the restoration costs.

I really have never understood this kind of vandalism. You don't like the message then put up your own monument with the message you think is superior on it. I also wonder about the choice of the bomber destroying the plinth that was written in Swahili and Hindi rather than say Arabic or English versions.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Jul 2022, 10:43:30

Nothing to understand.

Religious fanaticism .
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 07 Jul 2022, 15:38:42

C8 wrote:Leanan started this thread so long ago. I think she was the Oildrum mod. I wonder whatever happened to her.

Hiding in shame somewhere in a Central American jungle so as not to be laughed out of any conversation for having fallen hard for the first couple peak oils of the century? :)
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 07 Jul 2022, 15:45:06

Tanada wrote:I really have never understood this kind of vandalism.

Unfortunately, I do. Grew up around folks who would occasionally do it and found it hysterical. There was no real motive, it tended to be wanton just because they were poor, with no hope, no dreams, no accomplishments to speak of and just no apparent future, and just thought it was amusing to just destroy stuff. Abandoned properties or out of the way hunting/fishing cabins. hunting stands, the occasional nice car (because it was noticed at school, so why not get noticed for slashing the tires or breaking the windshield with a beer bottle).

Explosives though, that tends to be more organized and by design that just wanton destruction by the usual suspects.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 25 Dec 2022, 16:22:49

Newfie wrote:Nothing to understand.

Religious fanaticism .

Quite. Might as well debate why Stonehenge fell into disarray.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 27 Dec 2022, 06:12:02

I don't see security cameras catching the perpetrators (re evidence for conviction) if they're intelligent enough to wear masks and anonomize their clothing, not show up near the site in cars with license plates, etc.

In modern times it should be rather obvious that in public, you could be on camera at ANY time. (I prefer to limit my law breaking to minor traffic offenses and just pay the fines every decade or so when I get a ticket).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 27 Dec 2022, 06:18:44

AdamB wrote:
Tanada wrote:I really have never understood this kind of vandalism.

Unfortunately, I do. Grew up around folks who would occasionally do it and found it hysterical. There was no real motive, it tended to be wanton just because they were poor, with no hope, no dreams, no accomplishments to speak of and just no apparent future, and just thought it was amusing to just destroy stuff. Abandoned properties or out of the way hunting/fishing cabins. hunting stands, the occasional nice car (because it was noticed at school, so why not get noticed for slashing the tires or breaking the windshield with a beer bottle).

Explosives though, that tends to be more organized and by design that just wanton destruction by the usual suspects.

I think the only way to deter random vandalism is to have an inconvenient enough punishment it's no longer generally worth it just because it's "hysterical".

The case of the American who was cained in Singapore for throwing paint on cars in about 1994 comes to mind. (And not letting whining get the offenders off).

And using explosives and the potential for serious damage / injury there seems to me to be raising the ante significantly.

If the perpetrators had to do hard labor in prison for many decades working off the bill for the damage, for example, that would seem to be a very clear message.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 27 Dec 2022, 07:22:43

Using explosives is at least a serious federal offense and carries significant time.

Right up there with machine guns and tanks, etc.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Mon 02 Jan 2023, 03:44:27

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I think the only way to deter random vandalism is to have an inconvenient enough punishment it's no longer generally worth it just because it's "hysterical".

The case of the American who was cained in Singapore for throwing paint on cars in about 1994 comes to mind. (And not letting whining get the offenders off).

And using explosives and the potential for serious damage / injury there seems to me to be raising the ante significantly.

If the perpetrators had to do hard labor in prison for many decades working off the bill for the damage, for example, that would seem to be a very clear message.

OUTCAST I"M SHOCKED!! 8O 8O Speaking up for Property Rights? Has the right wing brainwashed you? OK all kidding aside, I completely agree with you.

Property rights are instrumental in a free society. Protecting them should be a top priority for any legitimate government.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 07 Jan 2023, 13:58:05

We have a much better cousin to Stone Hinge in Texas:

Standing along Route 66 west of Amarillo, Texas, Cadillac Ranch was invented and built by a group of art-hippies imported from San Francisco. They called themselves The Ant Farm, and their silent partner was Amarillo billionaire Stanley Marsh 3. He wanted a piece of public art that would baffle the locals, and the hippies came up with a tribute to the evolution of the Cadillac tail fin. Ten Caddies were driven into one of Stanley Marsh 3's fields, then half-buried, nose-down, in the dirt (supposedly at the same angle as the Great Pyramid of Giza). They faced west in a line, from the 1949 Club Sedan to the 1963 Sedan de Ville, their tail fins held high for all to see on the empty Texas panhandle.

Photos here: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2220
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion