Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Getting BigOil to feel our pain

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Getting BigOil to feel our pain

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 27 May 2008, 03:45:58

Getting Big Oil to feel our pain
In political contributions, the oil companies still lean heavily Republican, obviously in hopes of blocking Democrat-inspired proposals to help consumers. ExxonMobil and Chevron rank second and third, respectively, among oil and gas companies and have so far made $1 million in 2008-cycle contributions, three-quarters of it going to the Republicans.

But make no mistake, they are diversifying their portfolio. Of the top 10 recipients, number five and number six are Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Republican John McCain is number two at $485,526, but his money is easily surpassed by the combined contributions of $628,419 for Clinton and Obama.

boston

This is an interesting story from a politically naive correspondent from the South Pacific. I'm really addressing the American audience about what they think about the above contributions. Will they persuade the next President to support the oil industry or will the new president not be bribed?
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Getting Big Oil to feel our pain

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 27 May 2008, 04:06:26

So Hilary and Obama are to be considered collectively for some reason? And why ask if the next POTUS will resist being bribed, as it's obvious they're quite accustomed to it?

My hunch is that peak oil will become the issue in a couple years, with attendant pillorying of whoever the POTUS is. Like Jack says, they will be the new Herbert Hoover, and not really in a position to stand up to lobbyists from any industry, not that I'd ever expect that from the general run of Washington politicos. It's the way it's gamed now.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Re: Getting Big Oil to feel our pain

Unread postby Cashmere » Tue 27 May 2008, 04:10:22

$1 million in 2008-cycle contributions, three-quarters of it going to the Republicans.

Instead of playing games with one side telling the other, "you suck more c--- than we do," what would be ideal would be for all parties to stop sucking.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to North America Discussion