Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US S of D Gates to Asia: Beware of energy tussles

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

US S of D Gates to Asia: Beware of energy tussles

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 31 May 2008, 02:30:56

Robert Gates, US defence secretary, on Saturday warned that coercive diplomacy over energy resources in Asia could threaten the security and prosperity of the region.

Speaking to Asian defence and security officials in Singapore, Mr Gates stressed that the “foundation of prosperity” in the region had been built on “international norms” that needed to be preserved.

Mr Gates stressed that the US was still very much engaged in Asia despite concerns in the region that its attention had been diverted by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“Any speculation in the region about the United States losing interest in Asia strikes me as either prosperous, or disingenuous, or both,” said Mr Gates.

While some Asian countries have worried about waning US interest in the region, Mr Gates, in a veiled criticism of China, raised concerns about tension within Asia over energy resources.

“In my Asian travels, I hear my hosts worry about the security implications of rising demand for resources, and about coercive diplomacy and other pressures that can lead to disruptive competitions,” said Mr Gates.

FT.com
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: US S of D Gates to Asia: Beware of energy tussles

Unread postby Cashmere » Sat 31 May 2008, 02:44:02

Translation:

Us, alpha dog.
You, beta dog.

We eat first. If you forget this, you will get bitten.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: US S of D Gates to Asia: Beware of energy tussles

Unread postby dissident » Sat 31 May 2008, 09:29:37

Gates should follow his own advice. But that is hard to do for pathological hypocrites. Ones who claim that producers setting a price for their product are "blackmailers". Go to your local shop and accuse them of blackmailing you with their prices. You are guaranteed to be hauled off the premises by the cops. Either shop elsewhere or do something else. It's your freedom of choice.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Return to Asia Discussion