Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

fantasy politics 2008 elections, who would you vote for?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

presidental vote

John McCain
14%
Barack Obama
40%
some third party candidate
47%

Total votes : 43

fantasy politics 2008 elections, who would you vote for?

Unread postby phaster » Sat 31 May 2008, 23:48:20

Now that Hillary seems to be self destructing and doing her best to try and change the rules of the democratic party election process, just thought I'd ask now that we have the presumptive nominees McCain and Obama, who are you going to vote for and why? Figure this could be an interesting exercise and might enlighten other users of this board as to what they think and know of various US presidential candidates.

Also thought I'd ask you to kinda play fantasy politics and ask who do ya think would make an interesting party ticket and why....

Since I'm posing the question, I'll go first.

Usually I've voted green not because I'm an rabid tree hugger, but rather because I realized long ago that natural resources such as water and oil, are being used by mankind at an unsustainable rate. I've also been fortunate to see many parts of the world and first saw of tropical rain forest destruction in the 1980's, then started bumed through parts of the old USSR in the 1990's and saw what happened to the land after the Soviets stripped mined the land, diverted major rivers and cause desertification, etc.

I was going to vote green again in this years presidential election because it was my own form of protest against the two party system which IMHO has become too complicit in selecting individuals for the ticket who cared little for the over all American populace and environment, and too much for their own political base.

But a few weeks ago after hearing McCain propose a gas tax holiday, then Hillary try and join the band wagon of panderinging to the masses, I was delighted that Obama, tried to explain to the press and the american public that a gas tax holiday wasn't such good idea.

I don't agree with Obama on other policy planks in his political platform, but out of all the candiated I think he has the most pragmatic approach to governing, and is a refreshing change in terms to speak intelligently on various subjects which is quite a change from President Bush who frankly is an embarrassment when it comes to public speaking and portraying the highest elected official of the USA to the rest of the world.

If I was going to pick a dream running mate for Obama, I'd have on the top of my list James Woolsey, Jr. because he is peak oil aware and knows something about foreign policy since he was the head of the CIA back in the 1990's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Woolsey
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: fantasy politics 2008 elections, who would you vote for?

Unread postby jlw61 » Sun 01 Jun 2008, 00:55:26

Typically I vote or write in the Libertarian candidate, but like many I'm taking a long look at Obama. Yeah, he's from Illinois and therefore will tend to look at the gun issue the wrong way. Yes, he's got other problems as well, but he strikes me as someone who will admit a mistake and is capable of being swayed by logic. That alone intrigues me as I can't think of the last time a president was swayed by logic. However, if Hillary becomes the VP choice, forget it. I'm not going to watch that drama unfold.

McCain scares the piddle out of me.

So while the jury is still out, I'm leaning towards voting democrat for president for the first time in my life.
When somebody makes a statement you don't understand, don't tell him he's crazy. Ask him what he means. -- Otto Harkaman, Space Viking
jlw61
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 01 Jun 2008, 02:28:50

Better off pressing a button on a garbage disposal than a voting machine. We don't choose our leaders anymore. They are chosen for us.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby grampybone » Sun 01 Jun 2008, 08:09:41

I vote the lesser of the three evils. My vote is for McCain.
grampybone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Sun 01 Jun 2008, 08:27:56

My write-in vote would be RICHARD HEINBERG
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby midnight-gamer » Wed 04 Jun 2008, 21:48:16

midnight-gamer
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 04 Jun 2008, 23:58:02

jlw61 wrote: Obama strikes me as someone who will admit a mistake and is capable of being swayed by logic.

I felt that way initially. Obama is obviously a smart guy and a gifted orator who says wonderful sounding things, but as the campaign goes on and I learn more about him there is little sign that he is "swayed by logic."

Obama says he is beyond partisan politics, but in reality he is very liberal and has never done anything bi-partisan in his life. There are bi-partisan groups in the US Senate, but Obama doesn't participate---Obama is in the "very liberal" camp on every single issue.

For instance, on peak oil, where logic would suggest "supply and demand" might be significant, Obama hews to the liberal party line that "speculators" and evil "big oil" companies are artificially jacking up the prices. When federal investigators recently told the Senate they couldn't find evidence of price-fixing in the oil markets, liberal dem Sen. Cantwell of Washington told the investigators to "investigate harder." That is so stupid its like something out of Kafka.

The irrational Kafkaesque approach to peak oil and other problems is extremely ignorant and dangerous, and sadly it seems to characterize liberals these days. They are certain they know the answers, and if the facts don't match then just demand the experts change the facts.

I wish McCain weren't so damn old. Other then that, he actually has a history of doing the things that Obama only talks about. McCain is one of the most bipartisan people in the Senate. He actually does take independent views. He does cast unpopular votes because he thinks they are right. But he can't give a speech worth a damn, and he's not nearly as pretty as Obama. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gollum » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 16:10:40

I am usually for conservative small government and not pleased with these new big government conservatives so personal economic interest will trump. As a 35k wage earner I will be voting for Obama as by an large he will do more for people in my class than big government republicans will.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Thu 12 Jun 2008, 16:06:26

But neither one will ever do as much for YOU as YOU can do for yourself.

TF
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Zeeea » Mon 23 Jun 2008, 01:51:11

I dont live in the USA but if I did Obama would get my vote ...

I keep hearing about McCain and how he's a war hero and a true American. No doubt he is and that the world finds some kind of duty to pay respect to people who kill others for a living, but isnt that generation and way of thinking to blame for todays predicaments? Its time for change and fresh ideas. I really hope Obama wins ...

And anyone who thinks they should commence drilling in ANWAR or Florida Coast just to save a few cents a gallon on petrol really doesnt deserve the air they breathe. If petrol is that much of a problem to people "invest" in a hybrid to help the industry grow, or convert your current car to LPG, maybe buy a bike, use public transport, or maybe just maybe you could walk to the deli instead of driving, just stop complaining about it and be thankful technology has given you many good alternative choices!
Zeeea
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 25 Jun 2008, 15:47:04

Zeeea wrote: isnt that generation ... to blame for todays predicaments? ..... doesnt deserve the air they breathe.[/b]

You should learn a bit about history.

(1) Blaming an entire generation for the world's problems is very simple-minded. Each generation faces new problems. You are only here because the prior generations made sacrifices and brought things to a successful conclusion.

(2) Your suggestion that people who don't agree with you don't deserve to breathe indicates you have very little understanding of the nature of discourse, and perhaps don't deserve the air you breathe.

CHEERS! :)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Niagara » Wed 25 Jun 2008, 16:11:27

I think choosing no one should be in your list of choices...

[flash width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/0u6lCBnRoHQ&hl=en[/flash]
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Zeeea » Thu 26 Jun 2008, 02:18:12

Plantagenet wrote:
Zeeea wrote: isnt that generation ... to blame for todays predicaments? ..... doesnt deserve the air they breathe.[/b]

You should learn a bit about history.

(1) Blaming an entire generation for the world's problems is very simple-minded. Each generation faces new problems. You are only here because the prior generations made sacrifices and brought things to a successful conclusion.

(2) Your suggestion that people who don't agree with you don't deserve to breathe indicates you have very little understanding of the nature of discourse, and perhaps don't deserve the air you breathe.

CHEERS! :)

I was hoping someone like you would take the bait lol :)

Simple-minded I dont think so, maybe I just have infected genes ...? And how did you work that one out anyway? You are a man im assuming and therefore have no right to critisize how ive had to lead my life, maybe its the kind of history you dont care to read about? The only history ive read tells stories of war death and destruction!

Im the first to accept people for who they are. I cannot change anyone nor will I attempt to. Im far from perfect I know and have been brought to life the same as you and am living in the same world as you.

I dont expect people to agree with me, Im not all the scientists and geologists etc out there doing the tests telling people whats happening to Earth ...im just here passing on the info. If you have a problem with that tell the scientists to stop talking about it and doing their tests so you can have a nice ignorant sleep tonight :)

And really none of us deserve the air we breathe, yet we still keep at it for as long as we can knowing full well eventually our time will run out ...the extinction process has already begun thanks to past generations who were nothing but kids in a candy shop whether you like it or not.
Control your destiny or somebody else will.
-Jack Welch
Zeeea
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Thu 26 Jun 2008, 22:32:53

I'm not voting for anyone. I'm voting against someone. A lesser of two evils.
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to North America Discussion