Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Shocked! How the oil crisis has hit the world

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Shocked! How the oil crisis has hit the world

Unread postby Ache » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 02:39:15

Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Shocked! How the oil crisis has hit the world

Unread postby seldom_seen » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 02:54:59

Shocked my ass. These bastards just didn't want to talk about it until it hit them in the face.

If anyone tells you that they're "shocked" or "surprised" or "couldn't believe" what's going on. Tell them to FO. This shit has been known and in the works for decades. Goes back to the Carter administration in the US.

The word is DENIAL.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 03:11:02

"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!"-Captain
Renault "Casablanca"
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ohanian » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 03:41:08

I'm shocked to find my Peak-Oil nutcase colleague
is actually not a nutcase but was telling the truth all the time.
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 03:49:48

Silenttodd wrote
"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on here!"-Captain
Renault "Casablanca"

Your winnings, Sir!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby alokin » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 04:20:16

shocked - no frustrated about the pollies, don't they have more imagination than slashing fuel taxes? In times when these taxes are most needed, to upgrade the railway system, to research on renewables, invest in energy saving. ...
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vetusfirma » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 04:35:36

None of this matters. Nothing good is going to happen to change the course of events. No one on these forums, at least that I can find, will talk about what really needs to be done. So nothing will be done. I shocked by all the sanctimonious people who only complain and don't develop solutions. And I'll really be shocked if anyone does.
HOLDING THE CENTER
vetusfirma
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby alokin » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 06:34:22

vetusfirma, what solutions are you developing?
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby grampybone » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 07:08:16

When I was a kid I remember seeing Carter sitting in front of the fireplace in his cardigan sweater in the 70's talking about this. Fireside chats they were called.

People thought he was crazy then. Not so crazy now is it.
grampybone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby errorist » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 07:12:16

As said by someone - stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

vetusfirma wrote:None of this matters. Nothing good is going to happen to change the course of events. No one on these forums, at least that I can find, will talk about what really needs to be done. So nothing will be done. I shocked by all the sanctimonious people who only complain and don't develop solutions. And I'll really be shocked if anyone does.
errorist
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Hagakure_Leofman » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 07:50:07

vetusfirma wrote:None of this matters. Nothing good is going to happen to change the course of events. No one on these forums, at least that I can find, will talk about what really needs to be done. So nothing will be done. I shocked by all the sanctimonious people who only complain and don't develop solutions. And I'll really be shocked if anyone does.

Try the Planning for the Future forum.
Hagakure_Leofman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Grifter » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 09:19:24

alokin wrote:shocked - no frustrated about the pollies, don't they have more imagination than slashing fuel taxes? In times when these taxes are most needed, to upgrade the railway system, to research on renewables, invest in energy saving. ...

Trouble is pollies will get voted out by the stupid public if they were to implement policies that actually helped the situation.

Private individuals can help themselves to a certain extent but in the end, any collective efforts to mitigate the pending disaster will have to be left to the private corporations. I can't see another option.

It has been on the cards for years, more years than I've been alive.

Incidentally, a guy who called me crazy (and told a lot of people I was crazy) about 3 or 4 years ago said to me just yesterday:

I think the global economy is collapsing

I just said "yeah"
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 09:39:26

Meaning what? that someone, somewhere will come up with a magical solution, so we can keep our present standard of life?. Some things don´t have a solution. This is one of those, not global solution at least. There are lot of little, personal solutions though, that will be thoroughfully tested soon.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 09:55:58

There actually is a lot of good information here. [s]Some[/s] Most of the people who have been on this forum for a while are frustrated and rightly so. I have only been here for a week but I have found some very good information. There is sarcasm here also true, but I honestly think that stems more from the level of understanding the seriousness of the situation.

Nobody really knows for sure how this will all pan out. However, the people who have contributed and have built this forum to what it is deserve a lot of respect and admiration. They did the hard part for the rest of us.
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby burtonridr » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 11:35:05

IndigoMoon wrote: However, the people who have contributed and have built this forum to what it is deserve a lot of respect and admiration. They did the hard part for the rest of us.

How touching :lol:

But, yes I owe a big thanks to a lot of people here!

Wisejim,
Pops,
FerretLover,
Pup55,
BigTex,
EastBay,
Pstarr,
Skyemoor,
Shannymara,

I'm sure there are others, but those all come to mind :-D
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 13:13:36

alokin wrote:vetusfirma, what solutions are you developing?

Yes, vetusfirma, please post about your solutions.

Plenty of us have been posting about solutions for years, and implementing them as well.

So what are yours and what are you doing?

Curious people eagerly want to know!
Ludi

Unread postby catbox » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 13:28:30

The masses may be shocked now....but will go back to sleep soon....then get shocked again....then blame the enviro crowd, liberals, gov't, oil companies AGAIN......go back to sleep......get shocked....blame someone else....go back to sleep...on and on and on.

Whatever.

catbox
Punk is not really a style of music. It was more like a state of mind.
-Mike Watt
catbox
Coal
Coal

Location: I heard we are not the real America..Eugene, Oregon.

Unread postby Twilight » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 13:35:19

seldom_seen wrote:Shocked my ass. These bastards just didn't want to talk about it until it hit them in the face.

If anyone tells you that they're "shocked" or "surprised" or "couldn't believe" what's going on. Tell them to FO. This crap has been known and in the works for decades. Goes back to the Carter administration in the US.

The word is DENIAL.

I tried to add something to this, but failed. Sums up the mood nicely. At least so far they are not expecting a cookie.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby shortonoil » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 17:34:10

The masses may be shocked now....but will go back to sleep soon....then get shocked again....then blame the enviro crowd, liberals, gov't, oil companies AGAIN......go back to sleep......get shocked....blame someone else....go back to sleep...on and on and on.

Whatever.

catbox

The rumor today is that LEH is experiencing or about to experience a run on its bank. The US banking industry has already lost $350 billion in the last ten months, and is no doubt less than half way there. The world financial markets have lost at least $8.7 trillion in that same 10 month period.

The whole financial structure is looking over a cliff into an abyss as the edge holding it is crumbling. Soon the masses are going to be shocked to find that they are waking into, not out of, a nightmare!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby burtonridr » Tue 03 Jun 2008, 18:17:30

shortonoil wrote:

Whatever.

catbox

The rumor today is that LEH is experiencing or about to experience a run on its bank. The US banking industry has already lost $350 billion in the last ten months, and is no doubt less than half way there. The world financial markets have lost at least $8.7 trillion in that same 10 month period.

The whole financial structure is looking over a cliff into an abyss as the edge holding it is crumbling. Soon the masses are going to be shocked to find that they are waking into, not out of, a nightmare!

What/where is LEH?
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion