PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

8 Things We Are Running Out Of And Who to Blame

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

8 Things We Are Running Out Of And Who to Blame

Unread postby roccman » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 10:19:56

Are you to blame?

Huffington Post

Why is everything running out at the same time? We did a series on Planet Green where we looked at why those basic things that we take for granted, like water, food and fuel are getting expensive and scarce, all at once.

Can you think of anything else we are running out of?

Corn

Oil

Soil

Nat Gas

Water

Electricity

Rice

Metal
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: 8 Things We Are Running Out Of And Who to Blame

Unread postby cube » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 11:04:20

Why is there some weirdo holding a machine gun in the rice fields? 8O
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SpringCreekFarm » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 11:11:16

I use all of those things either directly or indirectly so yes, I am to blame for my share.
SpringCreekFarm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby roccman » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 11:27:25

cube wrote:Why is there some weirdo holding a machine gun in the rice fields? 8O

It's Jack.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby RonMN » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 11:42:36

roccman Wrote:
It's Jack.

::lol::
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby cipi604 » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 12:07:03

cube wrote:Why is there some weirdo holding a machine gun in the rice fields? 8O

so they have to work without questions, or else.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby aflurry » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 13:21:07

"why is everything running out at the same time?"

market efficiency ensures that will happen.
aflurry
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby xarkz » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 13:28:37

when rice prices increased, some farmers started to use armed protection against thieves :wink:
xarkz
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 13:31:55

The human race is to blame. I like the description in "The Matrix" by Agent Smith. Humans are like a disease, a pestilence, like a virus. But the key thing was he said we were like a parasite. We just feed and feed until all the resources are gone, then spread to another area. Then repeat the same cycle.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bodigami » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 01:30:20

Serial_Worrier wrote:The human race is to blame. I like the description in "The Matrix" by Agent Smith. Humans are like a disease, a pestilence, like a virus. But the key thing was he said we were like a parasite. We just feed and feed until all the resources are gone, then spread to another area. Then repeat the same cycle.

indeed, and technology was basically made as our mostly fossil-fueled host due to our lazyness to work and our hedonistic, greedy, arrogant, ... whims. We're the parasites of our own industrial technology.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby MrBill » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 03:42:11

I blame the universe. We are only running out of all these basic commodities and natural resources because they are leaching into and beyond the outer atmosphere. Eventually we will have no plants, no soil, no energy, no water, and probably no people. All sucked into a vacuum. It is really a cruel joke.
The organized state is a wonderful invention whereby everyone can live at someone else's expense.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 13:33:47

xarkz wrote:

when rice prices increased, some farmers started to use armed protection against thieves :wink:

This. In Thailand, the farmers have to sleep in their fields because theives will steal it right out of the patties. The armed guards aren't too much of a stretch of the imagination.
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Twilight » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 14:58:49

MrBill wrote:I blame the universe. We are only running out of all these basic commodities and natural resources because they are leaching into and beyond the outer atmosphere. Eventually we will have no plants, no soil, no energy, no water, and probably no people. All sucked into a vacuum. It is really a cruel joke.

"I wouldn't want my child growing up in a world headed for total heat death and dissolution into a vacuum," said Kansas state senator Will Blanchard (R-Hutchinson). "No decent parent would want that."
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MrBill » Mon 09 Jun 2008, 09:51:24

Apparently, we're not in danger, yet, of running out of trash?

HAMBURG: Naples's garbage - the plastic Ferrarelle water bottles, the soggy copies of Internazionale magazine, the decomposing kitchen compost - has ended up here, waiting to be dumped into an incinerator on the outskirts of this tidy German city.

For months, mountains of rotting trash have piled up in the streets of southern Italy because the region has run out of places to put it. So for the time being - for 11 weeks actually - a 56-car train will arrive in Hamburg every day after a 44-hour journey, each bearing 700 tons of Neapolitan refuse.

"We are doing this because we were asked to provide emergency aid, but we will do it only for a few months, not years," said Martin Mineur, technical director of two of Hamburg's incinerators, as a steady stream of trucks carrying garbage from the train station roared by. "This is not a long-term solution. Italy will have to solve Italy's problem."

source: All of Europe getting a whiff of Naples garbage problem
The organized state is a wonderful invention whereby everyone can live at someone else's expense.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Unread postby timmac » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 01:44:23

The OP forgot the 9th thing that we are also running out of and that is BEE'S...
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby cowuvula » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 02:48:45

The tenth thing is PATIENCE.
Be ready...
cowuvula
Peat
Peat

Unread postby WeLiveForHim » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 02:57:06

roccman wrote:Are you to blame?

The loss of our resources and the fall of our economy has already been foretold in the Bible. Everything is happening by the Book! Those who are saved should have no fear. Jesus said when these things start to happen, they are merely birthing pains of the end to come and to look up because our redemtion is near.

I pray that all put their hope and trust in the Lord. Accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior, repent, and be baptized. In Jesus unmatchless name I pray and ask it, Amen!
WeLiveForHim
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Twilight » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 03:03:35

Good point. I blame Jesus. The guy owes me ten quid anyway.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MrBill » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 03:14:48

Who let the Bible thumper in? I am also a Christian. I even took religious studies at a Lutheran college. Of the seven deadly sins Pride is considered the original sin. And the worst is the sin of religious pride. We are all subservient to God. God put us on this earth to make something of it and ourselves. Not to wait around for Armageddon like a bunch of sheep. Pray for us that work.

‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’
Last edited by MrBill on Thu 19 Jun 2008, 03:35:31, edited 3 times in total.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Kristen » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 03:19:56

I suppose the evolution throughout history and human ingenuity are the causes of our position.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Economics & Finance