Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mexico collapse watch thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Mexico collapse watch thread

Unread postby Cynus » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 11:17:55

I'm starting this thread to post news relevant to the coming collapse of Mexico as a nation state. I'll start the ball rolling:

MIAMI -- Mexico is beginning to look like a war zone, Univision anchor Maria Elena Salinas writes in her syndicated column, and the drug cartels are better equipped than the government. Salinas argues that the problem is systemic: Mexican drug traffickers did not become powerful overnight. It’s been decades in the making. Organized crime has infiltrated law enforcement and governmental agencies; former police and federal agents are now the hired killers of drug cartels; and politicians have been paid to turn a blind eye.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_art ... 50444b39db
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Mexico collapse watch thread

Unread postby cipi604 » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 12:30:43

USA should build a higher fence to the border... maybe more than one :)
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cashmere » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 13:04:28

Que lastima! Mexico es muerte.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby misterno » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 13:30:06

Since most of the government's revenue stems from oilproduction, the more production goes down, the more country finance will go down.

I am expecting huge number of people trying to cross the border in the near future. More than ever before.

Did you know that gas is more expensive in MX than in US?
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby WyoDutch » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 13:48:59

America has two major problems to deal with as Mexico collapses from the weight of its own corruption...

1. The hordes marching north... Image

and

2. The weasel on the left. Image
WyoDutch
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Fishman » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 14:07:07

Not sure how Bush affects Mexico's collapse, guess you can blame anything you want. More importantly with Mexico's upcoming (ongoing) collapse is how a clueless one like Obama will deal with refugees flowing north from Los Estados Unidos de Mexico.
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 14:32:00

misterno wrote:Since most of the government's revenue stems from oilproduction, the more production goes down, the more country finance will go down.

It's worse than you think. Mexico will become a net importer by *at best* the second quarter of 2011.

[web]http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pckFOMVOWAJLdoa4g8pg0_QshUfTTtNmZlt5SjY_u6gEZaFJ519QkTA5m0BVehbuKkf6Fb9OqI-A[/web]

misterno wrote:I am expecting huge number of people trying to cross the border in the near future. More than ever before.

It certainly casts a plausible light on all of those Halliburton detention centers, doesn't it?
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KingM » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:29:20

How many of you have actually been to Mexico?

There's a saying in Spanish that applies: en boca cerrada, no entran moscas.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Fishman » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:46:19

Worked down there four times. Enjoy the food and culture, don't want to import the entire population
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:51:02

misterno wrote:Did you know that gas is more expensive in MX than in US?

Source? Looked around but most sources say it's holding at ca. $2.75/gallon.

Cheap gas in Mexico lures Americans - Las Cruces Sun-News

Cheap gas in Mexico lures Americans
By Brook Stockberger Sun-News Business Editor
Article Launched: 06/02/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

LAS CRUCES — Despite news of violence across the border, the high price of fuel has motivated some people to cross into Mexico to buy diesel and regular gasoline.

Bob Pelham said that the three-hour round trip he periodically makes from his home near Silver City to Palomas, Mexico, saves him hundreds of dollars in diesel for his Ford F-250.

"I go to Wal-Mart and buy 5-gallon jugs," he said. "I also bought some 12 1/2 gallon (containers) and I try to arrive with an empty tank (in the truck)."

Roger Hanson travels a lot hauling products for his job, which often includes excursions to Mexico. Hanson, who works out of El Paso, said he regularly drives across the border to Juarez to buy diesel for his pick-up truck.

"I filled up this morning for $2.18 a gallon," he said last week. "It has gone up; it was about $1.97 about four or five months ago."

He said gasoline was the equivalent of $2.79 a gallon.

Of course sometimes a Pemex employee will pump 40 liters and charge you for 42...

Mexico's missing $3 billion: The mystery over Pemex

MEXICO CITY: Call it the case of the missing $3 billion.

The price of oil keeps climbing and Mexico exports oil. When that happens the government should earn extra money from the state oil monopoly, Pemex. But this year - so far at least - the government says there is no oil windfall money to hand out.

The recent announcement by the Finance Ministry got the opposition up in arms. Politicians declared that the technocrats at the ministry were manipulating the numbers and demanded an explanation.

The spat over the missing oil windfall is about more than government largesse, although that is certainly part of the issue. Under the law, a percentage of extra money from high oil prices is distributed to state governors to spend on public works. Opposition parties govern most of Mexico's 31 states as well as Mexico City.

Just how dependent is the Mexican citizenry on government revenue? Just asked this at TOD by coincidence, no one's biting though.
Last edited by TheDude on Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:54:19, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gollum » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:52:48

Fishman wrote:Not sure how Bush affects Mexico's collapse, guess you can blame anything you want. More importantly with Mexico's upcoming (ongoing) collapse is how a clueless one like Obama will deal with refugees flowing north from Los Estados Unidos de Mexico.

I am pretty sure that Obama cant be much worse than bush in much of any regard. I sure wouldn't want to have to run on the republican record of the las eight years, and I am certianlly no fan of democrats as that goes.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gollum » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:56:05

Does anyone know if the flow of illegals has slowed with the collapse of the housing sector????
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:58:04

Fishman wrote:Not sure how Bush affects Mexico's collapse, guess you can blame anything you want. More importantly with Mexico's upcoming (ongoing) collapse is how a clueless one like Obama will deal with refugees flowing north from Los Estados Unidos de Mexico.

Probably welcome them as refugees, only to see people die of thirst in the southwest due to the overshoot.
mos6507

Unread postby gollum » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 16:02:29

"Probably welcome them as refugees, only to see people die of thirst in the southwest due to the overshoot."

Maybe now, but not 3-10 years from now when unemployment here is say 10% and the doctored CPI is up 10% a year. Americans, even democrats wont stand for it. These invaders will be lynched by unemployed americans. This is the kind of thing that starts revolutions and TPTB know that.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vetusfirma » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 17:30:22

I don't speak spanish, the language of the oppressor, but I do know a good story in English, the language of the people who defeated the oppressors.

Operation Wetback

In 1949 the Border Patrol seized nearly 280,000 illegal immigrants. By 1953, the numbers had grown to more than 865,000, and the U.S. government felt pressured to do something about the onslaught of immigration. What resulted was Operation Wetback, devised in 1954 under the supervision of new commissioner of the Immigration and Nationalization Service, Gen. Joseph Swing.

Swing oversaw the Border patrol, and organized state and local officials along with the police. The object of his intense border enforcement were "illegal aliens," but common practice of Operation Wetback focused on Mexicans in general. The police swarmed through Mexican American barrios throughout the southeastern states. Some Mexicans, fearful of the potential violence of this militarization, fled back south across the border. In 1954, the agents discovered over 1 million illegal immigrants.

In some cases, illegal immigrants were deported along with their American-born children, who were by law U.S. citizens. The agents used a wide brush in their criteria for interrogating potential aliens. They adopted the practice of stopping "Mexican-looking" citizens on the street and asking for identification. This practice incited and angered many U.S. citizens who were of Mexican American descent. Opponents in both the United States and Mexico complained of "police-state" methods, and Operation Wetback was abandoned.
HOLDING THE CENTER
vetusfirma
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby johhnytrash » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 17:53:03

vetusfirma wrote:I don't speak spanish, the language of the oppressor, but I do know a good story in English, the language of the people who defeated the oppressors.

Just going on the dictionary definition of your words, I don't understand how Spanish is the language of the oppressor. Can you clue me in?
johhnytrash
Wood
Wood

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 22:32:18

It's an unspoken signal that he/she's a racist, hence not in need of goading. Or worth having attention paid to.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby johhnytrash » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 22:43:31

No I get that. But that statement is so STRANGE. I've just gotta hear the reason behind it.
johhnytrash
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pretorian » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 01:30:02

Well may be his salary/income is cut a bit too far thanks to Hispanics? May be he is a construction worker or something.

By the way have anyone wondered how much time nationwide is lost due to "For English, press 1; para Espanol, presione 2"
Per day? Per month? Per year? Per lifetime?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cynus » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 11:54:22

Mexico sees lower oil exports for 2008
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's average oil exports will remain well below target all year, and beneath last year's levels, due to lower crude production, the head of state oil monopoly Pemex said on Wednesday.

Pemex Chief Executive Jesus Reyes Heroles said the state-run company's oil exports were headed for an average of 1.40 million to 1.45 million barrels per day over 2008, around 15 percent below a goal set in Mexico's 2008 budget of 1.683 million bpd.

I wonder when we will start to see significant budget cuts or tax increases to compensate for reduced income. With the price of oil skyrocketing, the effects of the decline are being hidden from Mexico's finances. But come 2010 or so, when they cease to be an exporter, watch out.
One of these now am I too, a fugitive from the gods and a wanderer, at the mercy of raging Strife.
--Empedocles

http://apoxonbothyourhouses.blogspot.com
Cynus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to North America Discussion