Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Have Oil Prices Peaked?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Have Oil Prices Peaked?

Unread postby mefistofeles » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 20:42:30

There are alot of people, some who are very intelligent like Richard Rainwater that believe oil prices have plateaued.

However being a believer in speculative bubbles and peakoil I don't believe we are at the plateau.

As far as speculative bubbles are concerned I believe that there are three phases:

1. The smart money gets in early
2. The instituational investors get in.
3. The general public gets in (this is usually the most dangerous phase and when the bubble is likely to burst).

So far I believe that we haven't even completed phase 2 never mind 3.

Another thing that sets oil's current situation apart from both the internet and real estate bubbles is availability.

There was no limit on the number of internet stocks you could buy, and there is still ALOT of empty land in Ireland, California and Nevada. Oil however is different from these bubbles in the sense that there are definite limits on supply vis a vis demand.

In fact with oil there is actually less oil available now because you can live in your home for years but wells eventually start to decline. Production decline and stagnation are becoming the key issues for many of the worlds largest oil producers ,this implies increasing prices.

However high prices will curtail demand.

So I guess the real question is this. Will oil supply decline faster than demand? Or will oil demand decline faster than supply?
mefistofeles
Coal
Coal

Re: Have Oil Prices Peaked?

Unread postby BigTex » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 21:10:29

Given that there is the oil price rise coinciding with the dollar fall, both would have to stop for the price to stop rising in U.S. dollars.

Since I don't think both are going to stop, and probably neither in the intermediate term, I predict prices will keep rising.

They will plateau somewhere, but it might be a crazy number.

Think about how crazy $135 would have sounded three years ago.
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 05 Jun 2008, 21:58:53

mefistofeles wrote:However high prices will curtail demand.

No, higher prices will slow the rate of growth of demand. Energy, like and water, are necessities. If we curtail a lot of superfluous consumption, unemployment will rise quickly.

Demand for energy will never go away; people will just be harder pressed to access it. Connect the dots.

So I guess the real question is this. Will oil supply decline faster than demand? Or will oil demand decline faster than supply?

Demand will always outstrip demand destruction...until everything folds. China's 11.4 GDP growth has a lot of steam behind it.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FreddyH » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 03:08:25

Based on fundamentals, the equilbrium price is $101/barrel today. Most of the speculator fraternity changed over to short positions last week, so only one buck of the price is due to their spec/hedge activity. The producers are enjoying a $21/barrel windfall thanx to the media noise-de-jour.

Even the base price of $101 is not sustainable as several quarters of price bumps are still trickling down thru the marketplace. It is an 8 quarter process.

This pent up demand destruction awaits substitution/alternatives/conservation decisions and will result in sub-hundred pricing later in the year.

MegaProject flows for 2006/7/8 commissions are still in build mode. The culmination of those projects plus upcoming 2009 capacity will replenish fundamental factors as inventory balance and surplus capacity and reduce the base price further.

Adjusting for underlying decline etc, next year's supply should be 87-mbd.

www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits)
FreddyH
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Duende » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 16:52:06

FreddyH wrote:
This pent up demand destruction awaits substitution/alternatives/conservation decisions and will result in sub-hundred pricing later in the year.

Adjusting for underlying decline etc, next year's supply should be 87-mbd.

That's awesome news, Freddy!

Ok, on the count of three I'm gonna start holding my breath... ;)
"Where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?" -Thomas Huxley
Duende
Coal
Coal

Unread postby DantesPeak » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 16:58:48

FreddyH wrote:Based on fundamentals, the equilbrium price is $101/barrel today. Most of the speculator fraternity changed over to short positions last week, so only one buck of the price is due to their spec/hedge activity. The producers are enjoying a $21/barrel windfall thanx to the media noise-de-jour.

I don't even want to know how you came up with figures, but maybe you should expand your chart to include the increase in price you weren't expecting - due to those pesky speculators who only seem to be worried about supply, demand, tanker availability, diesel shortages, steeply falling output form nearby Mexico and Venezuela, possible nuclear war, and many other factors too numerous to even mention.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Arsenal » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 17:07:11

Ouch.. $139 today. $11 change in one day... Somehow I think your price of $101 seems a little low. Oil prices have not peaked, only oil.

Arsenal.
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 17:08:49

One wonders why FreddyH even bothers with all the pretty charts if the benchmark crude price (WTIC) accounts for, by his own admission, less than 5% of outstanding oil contracts. Much ado about nothing?
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bonehead » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 17:48:39

They'll peak when Morgan Stanley says they'll peak.They've got the last word on oil now.
Gimme some demand destruction.
bonehead
Peat
Peat

Unread postby careinke » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 18:10:19

FreddyH,

You are a very, very, funny man. You should be on TV. That graph is just Hilarious! $87.00 oil, that just cracks me up.

Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby MrBill » Mon 09 Jun 2008, 03:15:56

bonehead wrote:They'll peak when Morgan Stanley says they'll peak.They've got the last word on oil now.

I think you mean Goldman Sachs?

Energy Weekly

Timespread rebound propels largest daily oil price move on record

But tight fundamentals suggest risk remains skewed to the upside

Timespread rebound underpins recent dramatic price move

Oil prices rose sharply on Thursday and Friday last week, scoring the largest daily price move on record and reaching new all time highs, now close to the $140/bbl mark. The rally was underpinned by a sharp rebound in timespreads, which drove the shape of the forward curve back towards a degree of backwardation more in line with the tight underlying fundamentals of the oil market.

Risks to timespreads still to skewed to the upside

We believe that prior to last week, timespreads had weakened excessively relative to the underlying fundamentals, as concerns over a deterioration in US oil demand had likely translated into significant short selling and a liquidation of net speculative length. The rapidity and strength of the rebound suggests that the recent price move was due in large part to short covering of these positions as US and global fundamentals continue to tighten on the back of declining supply and supportive non-OECD demand. Despite the rapidity and magnitude of the adjustment, we believe that the risk to timespreads is still skewed to the upside. Current timespreads are still likely too low relative to the 15% front-to-back backwardation suggested by current low inventories and stocks could further tighten. As a consequence, if long-dated oil prices were to remain at or above current levels, the oil price could reach our $149/bbl year-end target by this summer.

Structural supply declines contribute to tighten fundamentals

Evidence of a structural decline in supply are mounting. Mexican decline rates are confirmed to be very strong as production in May has likely remained flat from April, averaging almost 13% below year-ago levels; Russian production continues to show strong signs of weakness, while Venezuelan and North Sea production continue to decline structurally.

Source: Goldman Sachs Commodities Research
June 9, 2008
The organized state is a wonderful invention whereby everyone can live at someone else's expense.
MrBill
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance