Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

NewSpeak and Nopec Legislation . . .

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

NewSpeak and Nopec Legislation . . .

Unread postby Cashmere » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 21:58:35

This is the most disgraceful comment yet by a U.S. Congressperson regarding oil in the world . . .

Senator Herb Kohl wrote:"Without this legislation, we are powerless to stop Opec from engaging in blatantly anti-competitive practices like collusion and price-fixing that leaves us at their mercy. If private companies engaged in such an international price-fixing conspiracy, it would be illegal. Nopec will give our government a crucial tool to combat the illegal actions of the Opec cartel."

From which state does this boob hail?

The intentional lie being wrapped up in this vitriolic language is that . . .

(sovereign control of resources)=(price fixing)

I shudder when I think of how the DSEs are going to start lining up behind this frighteningly poorly thought-out language.

It's now a race . . .

As a world, we are either going to . . .

1. Publicly acknowledge Peak Oil . . .
2. Or we are going to have a world war over imaginary production capacity.

Take your pick.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: NewSpeak and Nopec Legislation . . .

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 23:49:16

He's from Wisconsin. They don't have any oil there.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby yull » Sat 07 Jun 2008, 03:43:04

It is OPEC's oil - it is in their countries, they own it. They can do what they want with it. They have no obligation to give it to us and should in the future they want to cut back on production to avoid over stressing their fields and preserve more oil for their future generations, who can blame them. Probably means catastrophe for us but hey.

I agree though, I can see World War III over this. It's easy to share equally in times of plenty, when times are scarce that doesn't tend happen. People will want the oil for themselves at the expense of other nations. Imagine China invading Saudi Arabia to secure all their oil production their economy, the US is hardly going to sit back.
yull
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Twilight » Sat 07 Jun 2008, 04:59:55

It must sounds like petulant whining over there.

Got a problem with price? Use less. Simple.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby grampybone » Sat 07 Jun 2008, 07:05:48

Typical U.S. thinking. Lets demand more of another countries resource at their expense so we can maintain our wastefull lifestyle here in America. Lets threaten to sue OPEC for price colusion because it's not fair that they have a valuable resource that the whole world wants and is willing to pay more for it. How stupid.
grampybone
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cloud9 » Sat 07 Jun 2008, 07:49:16

A boob pandering to an ignorant public.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sat 07 Jun 2008, 09:10:43

And he is not that good of a senator on any account... if we could get a Republican worth anything to run against him (and I say this as a Dem... be it a "blue dog") I would be very happy to see him retire into obscurity.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion