Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Today in Spain I got scared

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Today in Spain I got scared

Unread postby Karlos4 » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:06:23

Today in my country.
Truck drivers go on strike because of gasoil prices. The strike begins today, and they won't let a single truck into the cities. There are already fears of lack of food in the stores. Gas station owners say they will have gas for just a week if supply stops. The governement forms a crisis team, including the Defence minstery.
I'm sure people is rushing right now to the stores. I know is just a strike, and things would be right again after some days. But I got the feeling this is gonna happen more and more often from now.
Wonder what would happen when the problem won't be expensive gas, but no gas at all.
Karlos4
Wood
Wood

Re: Today in Spain I got scared

Unread postby Homesteader » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:09:16

Thanks for the report. Keep us posted.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jack » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:13:20

Karlos4 wrote:Today in my country.

I suppose that you're in Spain?

Welcome to Peak Oil, and please keep us updated.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby allenwrench » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:23:04

Truck drivers go on strike because of gasoil prices. The strike begins today, and they won't let a single truck into the cities. There are already fears of lack of food in the stores. Gas station owners say they will have gas for just a week if supply stops. The governement forms a crisis team, including the Defence minstery.
I'm sure people is rushing right now to the stores. I know is just a strike, and things would be right again after some days. But I got the feeling this is gonna happen more and more often from now.
Wonder what would happen when the problem won't be expensive gas, but no gas at all.

How is your preparedness with supplies?
Panic is for those not prepared.

We develop self confidence by mastering the skills needed to overcome any situation that arises to threaten our life
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:34:20

Here is a good Link.

The real problem is that we are consuming more than is being produced. Oil is traded in a free market and you know what happens in a free market when demand exceeds supply. The only real hope is demand destruction. But then you have the peak oil depletion curve, which is an exponential downward curve. That means the the only way to stabilize the price is to lower consumption in tandem with supply. That means that we have to use less and less as time goes on, which will be painful, very painful. In Europe's case, the only relief the government can offer is lowered fuel taxes, which takes a bite out of social programs. We are all in a pickle, that's for sure.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DantesPeak » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:35:19

I can understand why you are concerned. In the US, gasoline and diesel supplies are delivered just-in-time, and therefore inventories are kept low. A small interuption to the delivery system and we will have shortages. I suppose the same is true in Spain, but I don't know that.
What do the strikers hope to accomplish?
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 09:57:40

This type of stuff seems significant but it seems hard to get details

Scanty info...

Karlos, welcome to the forum and let us know what's happening.

What do truckers want ? Why don't they just raise their prices?

There are market inefficiencies that seem to keep demand propped up with people in the middle taking the hit.

Same thing in restaurants - they are slow to raise their prices (don't want to reprint menus, afraid of driving away cutomers, etc) but are complaining about profit loss due to increased flour costs and other inputs.

Ultimately, there has to be less consumption, less restaurants, less driving, less truckers. How we get there is the question.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Barbara » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:21:16

Dunno in Spain, but here in Italy truckers ask for diesel tax cut and special help from govt to remain in business. No strike yet, but I've already stockpiled diesel and veg-oil just in case... :P
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Mechler » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:32:15

Fishermen are also striking, or at least idling their boats, in portions of Spain. They hope the country's entire fishing fleet will join in soon. Also, Portuguese truck drivers have decided to commence a strike tomorrow.
"It is certain that free societies would have no easy time in a future dark age. The rapid return to universal penury will be accomplished by violence and cruelties of a kind now forgotten." - Roberto Vacca, The Coming Dark Age
Mechler
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JPL » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:40:50

France here.

I can confirm this story, I have a mate who is a trans-European trucker & talked to him this-morning.

Word from the inside is that the protest is going Europe-wide 'some time soon'. The aim will be to force governments across the EU to cut fuel taxes for all sectors.

Off now to fill the jerry cans...

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:49:30

JPL wrote:France here.
I can confirm this story, I have a mate who is a trans-European trucker & talked to him this-morning.
Word from the inside is that the protest is going Europe-wide 'some time soon'. The aim will be to force governments across the EU to cut fuel taxes for all sectors.
JP

Cut taxes? Make petrol and diesel cheaper? That way we'll burn through it faster so we can get The Large Show going sooner. Sounds smart. Really smart. :roll:
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DantesPeak » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 11:50:32

JPL wrote:France here.
JP

I mentioned on another thread that instead of reducing subsidies, high energy prices will increase subsidies - even here in the US (or at least a reduction in existing energy taxes).
Today South Korea increased subsidies dramatically, and Friday Chile did the same thing.

It appears that 'demand destruction' is going to be fought by all. This may lead to prices accelarating even faster than they should have - followed by outright shortages.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SoylentGreen » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 12:46:04

considering most fuel taxes are used for transportation infrastucture building and maintence,cutting taxes makes sense, because the roads arent going to need to be maintained for much longer.
SoylentGreen
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Twilight » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 13:00:37

As a regular viewer of peakoil.com he will have provisions to last him a year so a brief strike presents no problem.

In the UK we have already had small trucker protests (even a biker protest), and the call is for petrol/diesel tax cuts. There will probably be more such activity, and the general public's mood is receptive. For the current government this is politically unthinkable, and in any case it is unable to do so without resorting to even heavier borrowing to fund the cuts. However, the next government may do this as they will probably be cutting many of the current government's projects anyway. I am assuming a change of government at the next election.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kpeavey » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 13:05:48

A strike will show the people the need to have at least some supplies on hand, including fuel (see JPL's post). While the govt may implement the tax cut, normal demand would stay the same. Stockpiling would increase demand. Prices will rise in a few months to exceed the tax savings. Truckers will be in the same boat, but having blamed the government already, who's next?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 13:31:25

If the situation wasn't so sad these "strikes" would make me laugh. Who exactly are they striking against? The truth is they don't know, they just don't like the way something is so they are pitching a fit like a little kid.

TF
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 13:47:09

They need to be striking for higher reimbursement rates, not lower fuel prices. The problem is that there's a demand destruction element there too. Higher fuel prices=Higher transportation costs=Less demand for transportation=unemployed truckers. That ultimately is what this comes down to I guess.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby POAlex » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 13:54:21

I wonder how long before that starts happening elsewhere?

Alex
POAlex
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Sun 08 Jun 2008, 14:50:26

JPL wrote:Word from the inside is that the protest is going Europe-wide 'some time soon'. The aim will be to force governments across the EU to cut fuel taxes for all sectors.

At least European countries have room to cut taxes. This should suppress problems for a time only to make the day of reckoning a bit more potent.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Mon 09 Jun 2008, 01:01:30

ColossalContrarian wrote:At least European countries have room to cut taxes. This should suppress problems for a time only to make the day of reckoning a bit more potent.

I'm not sure they do really. Their governments have become dependent on that tax revenue. One advantage they do have is that, percentage wise, the price hikes will be less there. If you start at a gasoline price of $2 a gallon, and it goes up by $2/gal, it just doubled. If you started at $6/gal and it goes up $2/gal, that's a 30% hike. Much easier to take.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion