Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SHTF in Your Locality

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

SHTF in Your Locality

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 08:57:02

Well just a mile from where I live there are 60-70 fishermens trawlers blocking the port (which is Ireland's largest) of Cork. No traffic is being allowed in or out. They are protesting mainly at the high cost of fuel and at their imposed quotas from the EU. Also today, the national news announced that the rise in unemployment in the last 12 months is the highest ever recorded. In 12 months our unemployment rate has went from 4% to 5.5% - still low but the pace of the change is scaring people.

Anybody else have events of national or international significance relating to PO going on in their area?
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Re: SHTF IN YOUR LOCALITY

Unread postby miraculix » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 09:26:10

Spain in the anger phase

three days on and the supermarket shelves are being emptied by the hording hordes.

Everything according to the script.
miraculix
Peat
Peat

Unread postby gnm » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 10:22:24

Sorry to hear it MadPaddy. Nothing major in my area other than general malaise, creeping foreclosures, and lots of SUV's sitting on the side of the road at fire sale prices.

-G
gnm

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 10:23:41

In the small town of Lewiston, Idaho, USA the first rally in Idaho to protest high gas prices was held this last weekend. It was organized and led by a 14 year old school girl who rode on her horse.

The poor dear doesn't realize that in a few short years that her horse will be her only form of personal transportation.
"Modern Agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into food."
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SoylentGreen » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 10:34:05

Now if just 1/2 the world's population could pull a barrel of light sweet out of theyre arse's once a week or so, we would'nt have this finite resource problem.
SoylentGreen
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Milret2 » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 14:42:45

SoylentGreen wrote:Now if just 1/2 the world's population could pull a barrel of light sweet out of theyre arse's once a week or so, we would'nt have this finite resource problem.

My wife claims I pass at least that much gas every day.
Yee-haw .. the folks who run the reactor at Diablo Canyon a mere twenty miles or so from my house will soon enough be hooking cows up to energy production. We are saved!! Cow Energy
Milret2
Peat
Peat

Unread postby patience » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:09:26

Nothing noisy here in Indiana, but significantly less traffic on the highway in front of our house. We went to our daughter's place last Sunday, and noticed less traffic than usual,also. My shop business volume is down in the "retail", or I might call it hobby projects for individuals, but repairs ore up for farms and businesses. And the nature of repairs is more serious now. They are running machinery until it literally falls apart.

My customers tell me they are financially stressed, and there is great interest in gardens and energy. Much of the energy talk is misinformed, but it's a HOT topic.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:09:38

DomusAlbion wrote:The poor dear doesn't realize that in a few short years that her horse will be her only form of personal transportation.

If she does not eat the horse first.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Grifter » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:22:35

After this: Drivers urged not to panic buy

It seemed to me that there were longer queues at the two garages I pass on my way home from work today, neither of which are Shell stations. Its possible it was my imagination.
I for one have a full tank and a half tank spare. Oh yeah, and a bicycle. Thankfully I work only 3 miles away from home.

In no way is it SHTF but I expect long queues at petrol stations by the weekend simply because the .gov has requested that we don't stock up.
Work is still busy as are the shops.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:28:49

Grifter wrote:Oh yeah, and a bicycle. Thankfully I work only 3 miles away from home.

3 miles! You should think about walking in nice weather. It would do you a world of good. :)
-- Albert Bartlett

"It will be a dark time. But for those who survive, I suspect it will be rather exciting."
-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Grifter » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:34:47

DomusAlbion wrote:
Grifter wrote:Oh yeah, and a bicycle. Thankfully I work only 3 miles away from home.
3 miles! You should think about walking in nice weather. It would do you a world of good. :)

There's no pavement (sidewalk) on the main stretch to my workplace (about a mile and a bit). It is an industrial estate lovingly referred to as an "Industrial Centre".
We don't make anything though :lol:
I often walk more than 3 miles just for fun and will walk to work when fewer people drive. Point taken though.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:46:19

Grifter wrote:I often walk more than 3 miles just for fun and will walk to work when fewer people drive. Point taken though.

There won't be any jobs to walk to then. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Grifter » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 15:56:21

Serial_Worrier wrote:
Grifter wrote:I often walk more than 3 miles just for fun and will walk to work when fewer people drive.
Point taken though.
There won't be any jobs to walk to then. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you think it will happen overnight? We have ok public transport around London. Or is that just a joke??
Am I being off topic? Oh yeah.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 16:51:44

Here is the part of the Cork harbour blockade and my 2 intrepid explorers and I out to view the proceedings, courtesy of sail power.

Cork Harbor Blockade photo

Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 17:49:02

You know MadPaddy, it's just no fair that you've got sunny skies there in rainy ol' Ireland while over here in sunny Idaho we've had nothing but gray skies and rain for weeks. :-x

You're kids are looking cuter than ever. Have you posted anymore vids of them singing? If not, please do.
-- Albert Bartlett

-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Madpaddy » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 18:00:22

Thanks Domus,
We have had a couple of lovely days here all right. We call it exam weather. All students do their exams (in college and high school) between mid May and Mid June. The weather is invariably good and turns to crap as soon as the pens are put down in the final exam.

The kids have turned away from singing for the moment and seem to be more interested in wrestling and beating down the nettles in the garden with wooden swords.
Anyway, things are sinking quite quickly here in Ireland but of course we still have a long way to go before we are even as badly off as we were in the late 1980's. I'll try and persuade Caelan to perform one of his favourites "The rare Old Times" for another youtube clip.
All the best,
MP
Madpaddy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DomusAlbion » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 18:12:26

MP, here's no of my favorite songs. Written by an American (Stephen Foster) but here sung by your own Mary Black.
An appropriate tune for the Post Peak Oil future:

Hard Times Come Again No More
-- Albert Bartlett

-- James Lovelock
DomusAlbion
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sciencegirl » Wed 11 Jun 2008, 09:35:36

Well, within 4 years my rent has doubled and food/ gas are more expensive. Hell, a person could work 2 jobs and still not afford to pay the rent. Bloody hell :shock:
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Your culture will adapt to service ours. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
sciencegirl
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby hope_full » Wed 11 Jun 2008, 09:58:23

I posted this on another thread and then realized this was a better spot, but yeah, I'm seeing changes in my neighborhood.

1) This morning, went to a popular breakfast eatery with my husband. This place is in a real trendy area where the downtown professionals live and work. I've been there nine times in the last two years. Each time, the place is packed. - at breakfast!! The prices are steep and our basic breakfast for two was $26. Today, the restaurant was *empty*. Eventually two other diners (single people) entered. Several waitresses stood behind the counter looking bored.

2) After breakfast, I went to the local grocery store. They were out of broccoli - no fresh broccoli to be found. In the past, I've found organic broccoli, local broccoli, shrink-wrapped broccoli and rubber-band bound broccoli. It's popular around here. Today, no broccoli.

3) While the rest of the store looked well-stocked, the produce department had several empty bins. In the places that did have veggies, you could see the black bottom of the bins, because the bins were almost empty. There were only one or two handfuls of many items.

Truckers strikes haven't even started in this area, so I'm surprised to see them almost out of things. It's a puzzle.
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion