Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Flooding

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Flooding

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 13:46:05

The flats around here are flooding, one of the roads I use to get to work is flooded and I now have to use an alternate route that is also in danger of flooding.

Anyone else having troubles?
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Re: Flooding

Unread postby Wren » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 16:51:03

I grew up in the midwest/ KC MO area. We just moved to the Northwest of Oregon on xmas this past year. I am glued to the news this spring, with the tornadoes and the floods. I still have family throughout NW Missouri and NE Kansas. They are all ok as of now, but my heart is breaking for the people in Des Moines, a place I have been many times, a place where i have friends. I hope you will stay safe and I hope that these storms don't destroy too much of my beautiful midwest. The coastal life is nice, but it will never be my heart. Keep us updated!
Wren
Peat
Peat

Unread postby startswithearthquakes » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 17:30:01

The closer 2012 gets, the wilder.
startswithearthquakes
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Boo38 » Fri 13 Jun 2008, 18:27:49

In my town, southern Wisconsin, there has been quite a bit of trouble. Some roads were closed after the weekend with detours put in place. After yesterday, the situation got much worse. My husband called this morning saying he had to take a detour off the detour to finally get into work. Lots of roads out and bridges and dams failing or expected to fail. I saw people today in Beaver Dam sandbagging trying to keep the water out of the downtown businesses and houses. We are siphoning water out of the basement for the second time this week, and a tree fell across our driveway last night. Spent the morning helping to clean up tornado damage from a friends house. Neighbor had a mud slide in his basement flooding it and wiping out his hot water heater and furnace. Most everyone in town has water in the basement, but I am considering us lucky. They have had to evac people by boat in Columbus, and I believe they are using the Wisconsin Dells Duck boats to evac people there. I have seen lots of corn fields under water...small chance of rain again tomorrow then sunny skies for a while. We could really use a chance to dry out...
Boo38
Wood
Wood

Unread postby midnight-gamer » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 12:09:46

I feel bad for people in Ohio. What are the statistics for flooding in that part of the country?. I don't think I have ever heard of that problem in recent memory.
NH suffered from rare flooding in 2006, locals never saw it coming, I'm sure. Many lost their homes, and no insurance to cover it.
midnight-gamer
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 13:45:03

jasonraymondson wrote:Anyone else having troubles?

Not me, I was a boyscout:

The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 17:10:09

jasonraymondson wrote:Anyone else having troubles?

Iowa is a mess!

But to answer your question...

We all will be having trouble soon; corn is headed for $9/bu.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby joelcolorado » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 10:42:17

I have not seen where anyone in the world is offering aid and relief to the USA for the floods and other disasters. Hmm...Lets see, they hate us and want our money for disasters but ......well you know the deal.
joelcolorado
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby manu » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 10:50:02

The time is coming soon when no aid will be coming from anywhere. Get ready.
manu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JJ » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 10:54:39

jasonraymondson wrote:The flats around here are flooding, one of the roads I use to get to work is flooded and I now have to use an alternate route that is also in danger of flooding.

Anyone else having troubles?

how did you get so many posts and only one star?

CNN just said don't drink the water, and if you do and live, call them and let them know you lived.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby burtonridr » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 14:33:46

JJ wrote:
how did you get so many posts and only one star?

Dude he has a rabbit for an avatar... lol jk

All the houses in the Midwest on the flood planes should be equipped with a life raft... Like a large boat. I never have understood why people live out there when they know about floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.... It just doesn't make sense to me. The dude with the canoe was thinking :)
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby joelcolorado » Thu 03 Jul 2008, 09:14:45

I dont understand how you can live along the rivers without higher dikes etc. Of course, its hard to plan against THIS much water. Mother nature has a way of fooling us.
joelcolorado
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to North America Discussion