Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Anti-Dollar

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The Anti-Dollar

Unread postby roccman » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 18:07:20

W&G

There is an old saying that “You can’t fight the Fed.” But oil is fighting the Fed. In fact, oil is scoring a knockout, like Muhammad Ali over Sonny Liston. Oil is floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee — landing body blows and pinning the Fed against the ropes.

Oh...It WILL be different this time.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Anti-Dollar

Unread postby MD » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 18:10:08

Americans need to figure out how to get by without gasoline.

Yes; you-all are included.

It just won't be there for most of you.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby roccman » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 18:25:18

MD wrote:Americans need to figure out how to get by without gasoline.

Not possible.

We will not "get by".

YOU will not "get by".

There is no getting by.

What there is ...is what the four horsemen bring...and right now they are at the livery stable being shod.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cashmere » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 18:32:50

Agreed. Shod, fed, injected with steroids, and the horses are not going to pull a Big Brown.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby cube » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 18:44:01

There is an old saying that "You can’t fight the Fed."

*delicate cough*
I think history has shown that ultimately in the end........"the fed" will always lose.
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DantesPeak » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 18:55:23

Poster memmel has an interesting concept that commodities, more specifically oil, are money.

This may be an important and correct way of viewing our current monetary situation.

Last year here, I said hyperinflation was possible in the US and many scoffed at the idea. Even now, many say that commodites and especially oil are in a 'bubble'.

That may be a backward way of looking at things. What we have now is a rapid debasement of the dollar's intrinsic worth and inflationary expansion of the money supply at the same time. In these circumstances, things of value - oil - can 'rise' quickly in price. In reality, the 'high' price of oil is our warning a vicious wave of economic deflation is about to begin. But the 'price' of oil could adjust be beginning to go up.

So the worst of all possible worlds, higher prices and falling economies, could be ahead.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 20:20:46

roccman wrote:
MD wrote:Americans need to figure out how to get by without gasoline.

Not possible.

We will not "get by".

YOU will not "get by".

There is no getting by.

What there is ...is what the four horsemen bring...and right now they are at the livery stable being shod.

dude, see my sig. I'm in optimist mode. 8)
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 20:39:12

DantesPeak wrote:So the worst of all possible worlds, higher prices and falling economies, could be ahead.

Seems right on to me. It never made sense to me that oil shortage could result in anything but stagflation. Oil shortage -> decreased economic activity, i.e. stagnation. Meanwhile high oil prices-> high prices of everything else, i.e. inflation. Seems to me that's got to be the ultimate result. Maybe in OPEC countries it would produce garden variety inflation from so much money being pumped into their economies.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby threadbear » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 20:44:58

DantesPeak wrote:Poster memmel has an interesting concept that commodities, more specifically oil, are money.

This may be an important and correct way of viewing our current monetary situation.

Last year here, I said hyperinflation was possible in the US and many scoffed at the idea. Even now, many say that commodites and especially oil are in a 'bubble'.

That may be a backward way of looking at things. What we have now is a rapid debasement of the dollar's intrinsic worth and inflationary expansion of the money supply at the same time. In these circumstances, things of value - oil - can 'rise' quickly in price. In reality, the 'high' price of oil is our warning a vicious wave of economic deflation is about to begin. But the 'price' of oil could adjust be beginning to go up.

So the worst of all possible worlds, higher prices and falling economies, could be ahead.

I will be so annoyed if oil turns out to be the new gold. S***! :lol:
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 21:00:14

smallpoxgirl wrote:
DantesPeak wrote:So the worst of all possible worlds, higher prices and falling economies, could be ahead.

Seems right on to me. It never made sense to me that oil shortage could result in anything but stagflation. Oil shortage -> decreased economic activity, i.e. stagnation. Meanwhile high oil prices-> high prices of everything else, i.e. inflation. Seems to me that's got to be the ultimate result. Maybe in OPEC countries it would produce garden variety inflation from so much money being pumped into their economies.

I'm still holding out hope that the US oil sector will remain very active, even if the rest of the US economy goes into the tank.

You already see some local energy booms going on in Wyoming, Utah, and even in the old oilfields of the oil-producing states of Texas, California, Louisianna, etc. We may well see increases in US offshore exploration, for instance. Oilfield jobs tend to pay well, and opportunites exist for everyone from the laborer to the union welder to the trucker driver to the roughneck to highly paid professional. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby seldom_seen » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 21:10:46

heh. great quote.

We're burning the candle at both ends. One side rising oil prices. The other side, monetary inflation (an inverse response to our energy situation and the cessation of economic growth).

At the end of the day, all the fed has is a printing press. That's all they ever had. It wasn't so obvious though when money supply growth was more or less inline with economic growth.

Now that energy supply is headed south, and money supply headed north. The gap widens and the curtain is pulled back. Surprise! Your emperors are wearing their birthday suits.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby roccman » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 21:18:09

Plantagenet wrote:
I'm still holding out hope that the US oil sector will remain very active, even if the rest of the US economy goes into the tank.

Well you can still "hope" PA (see my sig line).

That said, I work in the energy field. It is booming.

But when the bottom falls out...and it will...does not matter... we all will go down the shitter still hoping for something anything to ease the pain.

Ain't gonna happen PA.
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 21:27:25

Hope .... is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby roccman » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 21:29:59

Plantagenet wrote:Hope .... is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

Mark this day on your calendars PO'rs !!!

PA and Rocc finally agree on one thing!!
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 22:20:31

Remember what was left in Pandora's box after all the other evils had flown out? Just one thing, Hope...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box

From the above:
Pandora had been given a large jar and instructed by Zeus to keep it closed, but she had also been given the gift of curiosity, and ultimately opened it. When she opened it, all of the evils of mankind escaped from the jar, although Pandora was quick enough to close it again and keep one value inside- Hope.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Mon 16 Jun 2008, 22:56:35

roccman wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Hope .... is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

Mark this day on your calendars PO'rs !!!

PA and Rocc finally agree on one thing!!

Check!
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance