Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Costa Rica

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Costa Rica

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 23:05:38

This is a thread for discussion on Costa Rica preparations, challenges and so on for a post-PO world. I will post relevant news and comentaries.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Re: Costa Rica

Unread postby misterno » Tue 17 Jun 2008, 23:20:04

I think Costa Rica imports all oil from abroad. Here is your first problem.

There is no second or third, this is the only problem you have to fight. See discussion for Zimbabwe for similarities.
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 01:25:04

add to that ridiculously overpopulated El Salvador , Southern Mexico, Nicaragua and Honduras nearby. costaricans will be eaten before they will realize they have to do something with oil shortage.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby bodigami » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 16:07:51

Yes, 100% of crude oil, gasoline, jet fuel, and other derivatives is imported. And tourism will surely take a significant hit.

There have being manifestations, but not violent riots as seen from France to Zimbawe... but violence can be "imported" via migration.

But back to Oil. Electricity is mostly produced with hydroelectric and other renewable resources (all renewables are about 85%). Fossil fuel bassed electricity is usualy used in the dry season when hydroelectric plants produce less. Although transportation is quite vulnerable (all fuel being imported); it's possible to change to electric cars and use trains and ships for trade transportation. This are the IFs:

1) the remaining 15% of electricity will have to be conserved and used with efficiency, and electricity generation must grow a LOT to make viable electric cars. Eolic and solar can still grow, decentralization of the electric grid... and maybe even nuclear

2) we must import w-e high tech that helps transition out of Fossil Fuels... and start an industry that produces locally a significant part of this tech; I'm thinking specially of trains and transportation.

3) migration must be halted.

4) Costa Rica should not be dragged to any war.

...but besides that; this is a "business as usual" scenario... population growth should be negative and ecological standards improved.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bodigami » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 13:44:34

3 days with no water

Because of a broken pipe, 400 000 Costarricans are without potable water. There are some cistern vechicles that bring some water, but 3 days is much longer than usual water shortages (always a few hours).

However, in my house we have a water tank. My family is living almost as if there's no water shortage. The electric bill should come quite high, because it uses electricity (old inefficient model). And apparently, this tank limit is about 4 days of use. And this is quite low.

This is it; my mental preparations are done, now I will store water, toilet paper, and some food (I'm thinking of starting with crackers and ramen). EVEN IF my family thinks I'm paranoid or crazy, they're mostly clueless anyway (...oh, the "I told you so" moment). The garden has some plants for food, but they're too young.
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 15:14:51

What had happen to zensui?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BigTex » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 15:45:33

I think zensui morphed into anagami.

Sort of like John Cougar became John Mellencamp, I think.

My only advice to the good people of Costa Rica is that if a fellow named Christopher Columbus shows up, RUN!
:)
BigTex
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to North America Discussion