Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

You'll be just fine...as long as you don't eat or drive

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

You'll be just fine...as long as you don't eat or drive

Unread postby hope_full » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 18:03:03

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/13/news/ec ... 2008051410

This makes more sense to me than the other reports I've been reading. According to CNN, the "misery index" is way, way up and government figures aren't telling the WHOLE truth.

No inflation if you don't eat or drive

According to the government's most recent Consumer Price Index, a key inflation reading, consumer prices rose 3.9% in the 12 months ending in April, down slightly from the 4% annual inflation rate in March despite record gasoline prices.

But Phillips argues that consumer prices are probably up at least 5% and perhaps more than 10%.

Part of the disconnect may be due to the fact that nondurable goods, such as food and gasoline, makes up only 12% of CPI.

In addition, food and energy prices are eliminated from the so-called core CPI, which many economists tend to focus more closely on because they claim food and gas prices are volatile.

But food and energy costs are a very important part of household budgets. And those prices have been skyrocketing: Gas prices were up about 21% over the 12 months ending in April.

However, due to seasonal adjustments in the CPI, the government reported that gas prices were down 2% in April, even though on a non-adjusted basis, gas prices rose 5.6% from March.

And even that number may be too low. Measures of gasoline prices by AAA and the Department of Energy suggested prices rose as much as 10% in April.
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Re: You'll be just fine...as long as you don't eat or drive

Unread postby Wren » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 18:09:58

Oh yeah. And we are NOT in a recession, in case you hadn't heard. It's actually not a "flood" in Iowa, right? Just too much rain. We're all going to be fine.
Thanks for that post!
Wren
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Aaron » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 18:23:24

There is a huge gulf between the so called "blog-o-sphere" and the mainstream press isn't there?

I'm tempted to say that after 5 years, if I gotta choose between this, & the Matrix... I choose the Matrix.

I can't think of any recent examples where the press was so polarized as it is today. The publisher of "Common Sense" comes to mind... but that's so long ago.

Even the "yellow journalism" of Pulitzer's time, pales in comparison with the sophisticated machinery that is our lexicon today.

I'm sorry that I have no meaningful answers.

The best we can do is keep the dialogs going... Inform in the face of denial & even ridicule...
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby JPL » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 19:27:08

Aaron wrote:The best we can do is keep the dialogs going... Inform in the face of denial & even ridicule...

Well said Aaron. If there is an 'afterlife', well I'm going to buy you a couple of beers there at least so St Peter better watch out (providing we can prise PMS away from the counter - grin).

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 19:33:33

JPL wrote:
Aaron wrote:The best we can do is keep the dialogs going... Inform in the face of denial & even ridicule...

Well said Aaron. If there is an 'afterlife', well I'm going to buy you a couple of beers there at least so St Peter better watch out (providing we can prise PMS away from the counter - grin).

JP

You might not have to wait that long:

http://www.peakoil.com/post694317.html#694317
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby jdumars » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:18:47

One of the most frightening parts of the media's dominance in the collective perception is that because of corporate monoculture, the media actually creates its own reality. Or, more simply put -- people are more willing to believe what they experience through the media than their own experience, even if they are radically divergent. This is due to a very interesting phenomenon in the human brain that blocks the ability to see/process information which goes directly against your own belief system. I'd look for info on the study, but am too lazy right now. Anyway, the core belief system most people hold is radically influenced by the media and the self-reinforcing feedback loops that occur in our culture. What we wear, what we eat, the way we speak, virtually everything is driven almost directly from media.

This is going to be absolutely fascinating to watch as the gulf between people's experience and what the media is reporting becomes so great that it forces people awake to see how degraded everything around them is...

Imagine the moment when people realize things like...

Fast food/junk food is not really food
Driving is not a God-given right
Everything is about 100 times harder without gasoline/oil/machines
They are ultimately completely helpless
It's too late to prepare
There's no fix
Everything they knew was completely, utterly wrong

The hatred will run strong and deep, and will most certainly be directed at corporations, government and all the purveyors of lies. It would be the ultimate revolution.
Dismantle globally, renew locally!
jdumars
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:22:37

jdumars wrote:The hatred will run strong and deep, and will most certainly be directed at [s]corporations, government and all the purveyors of lies[/s] environmentalists .
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 23:58:34

Ludi wrote:
jdumars wrote:The hatred will run strong and deep, and will most certainly be directed at [s]corporations, government and all the purveyors of lies[/s] environmentalists .

"Al Gore, you've got to let us eat your nobel-prize-winning braaaaiiiin!"

mos6507

Unread postby allenwrench » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 10:53:35

The gov says inflation is low...it must be true?

It is in the gov favor to keep the inflation figures low so they do not have to pay high % rates on inflation adjusted bonds. This is what is scary. The gov has lied so much they are starting to believe their own lies now.

Fueling the problem of consumption is the games the Federal and World banks play with interest rates. They manage the economies in ways to fuel consumption and mask the real trend. You know the story..cries for Federal bankers to lower interest rates...so the stock market can go up...fueled by spending of the consumer.

It is drug habit that Greenspan got us hooked on and we just can't get away from.

Our economy is not based on sustainable health - it is based low interest credit to encourage compulsive spending, debt and living a life of constant consumption with a 'disposable mentality' when it comes to durable goods.

All this consumption to artificially fuel our economy to make our retirement funds only go up contributes to more and more global warming and the depletion of our natural resources. Then the governments juggle the numbers to make the inflation figures seem artificially low, so everyone's retirement portfolio will make them happy so they will continue to buy and consume more...and on it goes.
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby allenwrench » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 10:57:46

Wren wrote:Oh yeah. And we are NOT in a recession, in case you hadn't heard. It's actually not a "flood" in Iowa, right? Just too much rain. We're all going to be fine.
Thanks for that post!

Gov has trouble saying the word recession?

What about depression?

Better practice saying collapse!
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby biofuel13 » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 11:35:51

Well I guess according to the thread title I will be just fine.....because with this new diet my wife has me on I don't get to eat.....lol. At least I'll be prepared for when starvation really hits in a few months!
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JPL » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 19:17:24

Aaron wrote:
JPL wrote:

JP

Actually I'm touched but don't come to New Europe just on my account (grin).

JP
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 19:59:36

JPL wrote:
Aaron wrote:
JPL wrote:

JP

Actually I'm touched but don't come to New Europe just on my account (grin).

JP

I may be teaching in Europe actually

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby JPL » Sat 21 Jun 2008, 11:40:25

Aaron wrote:I may be teaching in Europe actually

Well we're in Bas Normandie which is the arse end of nowhere & a long way to come just for a beer! What I could offer though is a base if other Euro-members wanted some sort of meet-Aaron weekend. Got plenty of room for people here.

Just a suggestion, anyhow. Keep us posted with plans...

JP
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion