Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil's `Bull Run' May Be Over on Supply, JPMorgan Says

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:03:06

Crude oil's ``bull run'' may be over as prices become increasingly volatile and Saudi Arabia pledged to boost supplies, according to JPMorgan Chase & Co., the third- largest U.S. bank.

Prices are expected to ``correct'' over the next few months, JPMorgan analysts led by Brynjar Eirik Bustnes said in a report today. Spare production capacity may reach 5 million barrels a day by 2010, similar to levels in 2002 to 2003, when oil was $30 a barrel, the analysts said.

While using $90 a barrel as the oil price estimate for this year, JPMorgan is using $85 a barrel for its long-term oil price estimate for 2009 onwards, the analysts said.

bloomberg
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Oil's `Bull Run' May Be Over on Supply, JPMorgan Says

Unread postby Cashmere » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:18:47

Sell JPM.
Massive Human Dieoff <b>must</b> occur as a result of Peak Oil. Many more than half will die. It will occur everywhere, including where <b>you</b> live. If you fail to recognize this, then your odds of living move toward the "going to die" group.
Cashmere
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:18:59

Same old cow pies.

I remember about a year ago seeing analysts claiming oil would soon retreat to $30, $40, $50. Whatever number they could pull out of a hat.

I doubt if oil ever sees sub-$100 again. If it does, it will be a brief event.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Eli » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:22:17

Jesus, what have they been consulting with Steve Forbes or something?

95$ price target for this year what fooking idiots.
Last edited by Eli on Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:49:47, edited 2 times in total.
Eli
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby alokin » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:26:10

I bet there is a difference between what they are saying in pubic and the figures they use internally. For whatever reason.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Denny » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:29:54

Its been a real joke how far off the mark the experts have been in predicting the proverbial upcoming decay in prices of crude.

Here is a sample, guess from what year?

See Business Week

"Oil, coal and natural gas...are projected to provide roughly the same 86% share of the total US primary energy supply in 2030 that they did in 2005 (assuming no changes in existing laws and regulations...

"In 2030, the average real price of crude oil is projected to be above $59 per barrel in 2005 dollars, or about $95 per barrel in nominal dollars
."

Or, check this, a prediction made in 2003 that by 2025, the high end expectation of crude for the year 2025 was just $51! See

SeeAnon Eivev

And, here is a prediction made at the end of 2005, see Business Week:

"According to CGES, high prices are taking a severe toll on world oil consumption, and OPEC will have to make a significant cut of 1 million barrels per day or so to prevent a serious slump in prices. In the worst case scenario, from an oil producer's point of view, CGES sees Brent crude, now priced a bit under WTI, falling into the mid-$30s per barrel next year. "

For the long haul, it seems foolish to believe prices can drop much as long as we are not finding oil as fast as we are using it. Demand destruction would have to be so severe that modern western society would not function for demand to drop that much, as things stand right now.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DantesPeak » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 22:36:49

I need some of what they are taking at JPM to blot out the reality of PO, especially after the White House said today the meeting in SA this weekend is just for some type of group hug to feel better.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Windmills » Wed 18 Jun 2008, 23:12:16

Five million barrels per day in spare capacity?
Windmills
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 00:41:35

95 sounds about right come election time.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby heroineworshipper » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 01:00:52

Workers, savers, & losers wish it would come down in their dreams. Dream on, poor people. And vote for more mortgage bailouts.
People first, then things, then dollars.
There will be enslavement, cannibalism, & zombie invasions.
heroineworshipper
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 01:01:36

Windmills wrote:Five million barrels per day in spare capacity?

With possibly up to 7 million bpd in new capacity coming online over the course of this year, and with the IEA projecting an increase in world demand of only 800,000 bpd this year, spare capacity of 5 million bpd does not seem unrealistic.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 01:11:47

OilFinder2 wrote:

With possibly up to 7 million bpd in new capacity coming online over the course of this year, and with the IEA projecting an increase in world demand of only 800,000 bpd this year, spare capacity of 5 million bpd does not seem unrealistic.

Minus about 4 mbpd of decline from existing fields.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 01:18:53

IEA as of June 10, 2008:

Global oil product demand is expected to average 86.8 mb/d in 2008, 80 kb/d below last month’s estimate, following the reduction of price subsidies in several non-OECD countries. Global growth is cut even more steeply by 230 kb/d to +0.9% or +800 kb/d when historical upward revisions to 2006 and 2007 data are factored in.

http://omrpublic.iea.org/currentissues/high.pdf
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 01:35:06

MonteQuest wrote:[Minus about 4 mbpd of decline from existing fields.

Which, if true, would leave you with net new capacity of 3 million bpd. Subtract 0.8 million bpd in increased consumption per IEA and you have 2.2 million bpd in spare capacity. However, there is already an existing ~2 million bpd in spare capacity, so that gets you back to 4.2 million bpd in spare capacity. Which isn't too far from the quoted 5 million bpd.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 02:34:40

OilFinder2 wrote: there is already an existing ~2 million bpd in spare capacity

Where is it? Can we send Bush and Gordon Brown and the UN there to beg for more oil after they leave this weekend's Saudi oil summit meeting empty-handed? :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby arretium » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 03:26:10

OilFinder2 wrote:Minus about 4 mbpd of decline from existing fields.

Which, if true, would leave you with net new capacity of 3 million bpd. Subtract 0.8 million bpd in increased consumption per IEA and you have 2.2 million bpd in spare capacity. However, there is already an existing ~2 million bpd in spare capacity, so that gets you back to 4.2 million bpd in spare capacity. Which isn't too far from the quoted 5 million bpd.[/quote]

Where's this spare capacity right now?
arretium
Coal
Coal

Unread postby yull » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 05:07:19

I think I'm going mad sometimes. How can such huge companies be so utterly deluded and ignorant yet us rabble posting on an internet forum have it all right? I'm sure we're right, but the ignorance and delusion out there is astonishing. We live in a mad mad world.
yull
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 07:48:21

MonteQuest wrote:
OilFinder2 wrote:

Minus about 4 mbpd of decline from existing fields.

Much of the new capacity has come on line already:

The megaprojects database, fine a piece of work as it is, is compiled from press releases and the like, thus not the final authority on judging future supply.

Prices are unlikely to move ``substantially downwards'' in the coming years, because of increased costs of production, Birol said. ``They may go down, but the substantial lower levels that we saw a few years ago --$20 or $50 a barrel -- those days are over,'' he said.

Political upheaval or natural disasters in oil-producing countries may ``seriously pull prices higher,'' Birol also said. If prices stay at current levels, alternatives to oil will become more economical and demand for oil in the long term may decrease, he said. ``But at this time, oil producers are earning serious revenue.''
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jlw61 » Thu 19 Jun 2008, 08:12:57

Graeme wrote:Oil's `Bull Run' May Be Over on Supply, JPMorgan Says

Crude oil's ``bull run'' may be over as prices become increasingly volatile and Saudi Arabia pledged to boost supplies, according to JPMorgan Chase & Co., the third- largest U.S. bank.

Prices are expected to ``correct'' over the next few months, JPMorgan analysts led by Brynjar Eirik Bustnes said in a report today. Spare production capacity may reach 5 million barrels a day by 2010, similar to levels in 2002 to 2003, when oil was $30 a barrel, the analysts said.

While using $90 a barrel as the oil price estimate for this year, JPMorgan is using $85 a barrel for its long-term oil price estimate for 2009 onwards, the analysts said.

bloomberg

Actually I pray it's true. I want to buy metals when they plummet and it will give me more time to convince the wife to move to our Plan B location. That, plus we want to visit a friend in the EU and another "down under" before travel becomes too expensive.
When somebody makes a statement you don't understand, don't tell him he's crazy. Ask him what he means. -- Otto Harkaman, Space Viking
jlw61
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 21:26:30

Global oil demand to fall for first time since '93: analyst

Global oil demand is likely to contract 0.6% in 2008 for the first time in 15 years, said J.P. Morgan Chase late Friday. Analysts led by Joseph Lupton forecast global oil demand will fall another 0.2% in 2009 as demand dampens in emerging markets, whose appetite offset declines in developed markets' oil consumption in 2006 and 2007.

marketwatch
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Economics & Finance