Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gas at $4 brings promises, pandering from candidates

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Gasoline price $4 brings promises, pandering from candidates

Unread postby cipi604 » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 01:13:36

I think Bush had the more realistic energy plan, and why? Cause there is no way out. It's called war.
cipi604
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Gas at $4 brings promises, pandering from candidates

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 01:21:24

Obama's promise to fix high oil prices by taxing big oil and severely limiting speculation on oil futures will be far more attractive to the average American, because (1) it requires absolutely no sacrifices and (2) it blames big oil companies and evil speculators (i.e. rich republicans) for high gas prices and makes them the scapegoats. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 01:33:05

McCain and Obama, even if they did understand Peak Oil, would never run on a platform of power-down and alternative energy strategies. Those involve sacrifice and the American people don't want to hear about that.

I'm not really Democrat or Republican anymore and haven't decided how to vote in November. When PO becomes all too apparent in the next four years, what I'm wondering is who can make the bad medicine of this knowledge go down with the American people. I'd have to give the ability to persuade and reason to Obama at this point.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 03:09:25

Drifter wrote:My guess is the most likely, realistic energy policy in the near future will be war. And it's true, most Americans don't want to hear about self-sacrifice and doing without. That's why it will be war.

I hope you’re very wrong. But I fear your right. People I work with are totally oblivious to what is happening and why. At most they complain about prices and most who look for a reason have latched on the "speculators are the cause" explanation or some how think if we only drilled in Anwar all our problems will instantly go away.

What is really scary, the people I work with at AT&T are not stupid, you have to pass a test to even get hired. They have just been suckered by a media that is totally oblivious.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby cube » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 06:21:23

Do you notice something strange?
According to the article the 2 candidates completely disagree on everything.
Is there some rule in American politics that says you have to disagree on every single issue possible with your opponent?
For example why can't Obama says he agrees with McCain on nuclear power but disagrees with everything else.
or maybe...
Why can't McCain say he agrees with Obama on taxing oil companies but disagrees with everything else?

I'm getting an image of 2 elementary school boys having a silly argument on the playground: "If you say that then I must say something else."
Has American politics degenerated to such a low level of stupidity or maybe I'm reading between the lines too much?
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby killJOY » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 06:24:46

america is a giant retard, with weapons.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Battle_Scarred_Galactico » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 08:12:56

I'd say more like a giant crack-addicted weapons maker.
---
Battle_Scarred_Galactico
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby cephalotus » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 08:51:16

Drifter wrote:My guess is the most likely, realistic energy policy in the near future will be war. And it's true, most Americans don't want to hear about self-sacrifice and doing without. That's why it will be war.

So which country do you suggest has to be attacked?

And how should that help to lower the prize of crude oil?
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 09:00:39

Drifter wrote:
cephalotus wrote:So which country do you suggest has to be attacked?

I never said it was a good idea. Just the most likely outcome. When oil and gasoline shortages start to occur all over the US, you can bet there will be another war.

I would almost think rather than going for the oil producing countries why not go for the next largest consumer?

Chindia? 8O

The US already failed at securing the supply side of the problem, now will we try for the demand side?
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby cephalotus » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 09:07:35

Drifter wrote:I never said it was a good idea. Just the most likely outcome. When oil and gasoline shortages start to occur all over the US, you can bet there will be another war.

If it is the most likely outcome there must be a (or many) most likely country(s) to be attacked.

It's difficult to fight a war without an enemy.

So which country would you "think" the US "will most likely" attack?
cephalotus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 10:11:53

Whatever happens, there will probably be another US military draft sometime in the near future. Lots of unemployed young men needing jobs.

Just like Vietnam, those with means excape service. That's what's wrong with this Country. Draft em all like WWII.
vision-master

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 12:21:47

wrote: the US will eventually start leveling Iraq from the air. I'm talking flattening entire cities. Completely take over and rebuild their aging oil infrastructure for US imports. Any resistance would be eliminated, taking few prisoners.

IMHO, your fantasy is highly unlikely to occur.

I just can't see President Barack Obama "flattening entire cities" in Iraq so you can continue to drive your SUV.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 24 Jun 2008, 12:27:27

cube wrote:why can't Obama says he agrees with McCain on nuclear power but disagrees with everything else.
or maybe...
Why can't McCain say he agrees with Obama on taxing oil companies but disagrees with everything else?

Because they don't agree on these things.

They have fundamentally very different views on the energy problem.

McCain thinks increasing demand from India and China and insufficient global oil supply have caused the high oil prices.

Obama thinks high oil prices are caused by evil speculators, and if the US Congress will pass a law to change the rules on options trading, it will bring down world oil prices.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to North America Discussion