Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

No longer any resistance to the Peak Oil news?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

No longer any resistance to the Peak Oil news?

Unread postby sjn » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 09:15:29

I've noticed recently people are far more receptive to the idea of Peak Oil. In actual fact, I'd go as far to say that I've not failed to wake up anybody lately. It seems the current crop of mainstream news articles, while not givng much away (certainly not here in the UK), combined with first hand experiences are acting as a decent primer.

That's not to say that some people don't have their own "theories" about what's happening, evil oil companies, or the Arabs etc, but those people aren't really asleep to start with, just deluded! ;)
sjn
Elite
Elite

Re: No longer any resistance to the Peak Oil news?

Unread postby Heineken » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 09:36:01

I've noticed a change in the tenor and content of a few of the major-media reports. Some have emphasized declining production and increasing demand, which certainly goes to the crux of it. A few even make mention of hair-raising prospects like $7 and $10 gasoline (hair-raising for us Americans, anyway)

The rest of the reports are still completely brain-dead.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 09:43:15

Heineken wrote:I've noticed a change in the tenor and content of a few of the major-media reports. Some have emphasized declining production and increasing demand, which certainly goes to the crux of it. A few even make mention of hair-raising prospects like $7 and $10 gasoline (hair-raising for us Americans, anyway)
The rest of the reports are still completely brain-dead.

I agree. Most in my area mention the $7-10 gas first, though (gotta have that shock value! :)) My eyes roll back in my head when I listen to the interviewees at the pumps: "It's the oil companies." "Why doesn't Congress do something?" ...sigh...
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 09:46:28

sjn wrote:I've noticed recently people are far more receptive to the idea of Peak Oil. In actual fact, I'd go as far to say that I've not failed to wake up anybody lately. It seems the current crop of mainstream news articles, while not givng much away (certainly not here in the UK), combined with first hand experiences are acting as a decent primer.
That's not to say that some people don't have their own "theories" about what's happening, evil oil companies, or the Arabs etc, but those people aren't really asleep to start with, just deluded! ;)

But, Peak Oil to the sheeple just means, "We gotta got a Prius, huh".
vision-master

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 10:10:29

I think to a large degree people are starting to accept that oil is finite.
It may be sad to us now but in the long term it is actually better for us.
People wouldn't be pushing for better technology, mass transit, renewables, or urban living(on mass scale) if gas was still a buck a gallon.
I hope Americans will start consuming less and garden more.
Not only for food issues(produce just keeps getting higher it seems.) but because then they have something THEY did, they have their own food, maybe they can preserve it, eat it, or sell it at a farmer's market.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Heineken » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 10:13:48

Well, that's true, Socrates, but first we must pass through partial dieoff and the Greater Depression. Kinda sobers you up. This will not be a smooth-sailing transition.

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 10:16:10

Heineken wrote:Well, that's true, Socrates, but first we must pass through partial dieoff and the Greater Depression. Kinda sobers you up. This will not be a smooth-sailing transition.

an how many years will this last? 20 or so.
an at what kind of damage?
vision-master

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 10:25:02

Heineken wrote:Well, that's true, Socrates, but first we must pass through partial dieoff and the Greater Depression. Kinda sobers you up. This will not be a smooth-sailing transition.

The only dieoff I see in the world due to PO is in 3rd and 2nd world countries.
Not only is the US the most powerful nation in the world, but we feed a lot of the planet.
Here at least there is food everywhere, even after the flood.
If dieoffs happen it would probably be from heatwaves and too expensive of electricity to cool your home. Medical-related deaths would probably shoot up but your not going to have deaths here in NA in the millions(except maybe Mexico.).
I do agree food is gonna get expensive and people are going to start turning to the ground. I honestly probably don't have the stress people outside this region have.
Here vegetables and fruits grow incredably fast and once you pick them there is another a week later! At least with tomatoes and beans. :-D
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Barbara » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 11:07:12

Yes, they have less resistance, but still oil=car.
When you mention fertilizers, plastics, electricity, and so on they grew pale and switch to denial. :roll:
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 11:32:15

socrates1fan wrote:The only dieoff I see in the world due to PO is in 3rd and 2nd world countries.

There are many living in the USA who survive in serious poverty which can only be described as 'third world' conditions. They too will be among the first to go when Our Common Disaster finally hits. The poor everywhere will be the first and worst impacted. It will be fascinating to watch this process unfold, uh... for those fortunate enough to survive the initial crunch.

Note: The term 'second world', no longer applies to any nation. It's anachronistic holding historical interest only. It was primarily (and rarely) used to describe communist Eastern Europe/ USSR. It was used to describe that handful of developed command economies of which there are currently none.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 11:53:58

socrates1fan wrote: The only dieoff I see in the world due to PO is in 3rd and 2nd world countries.
Not only is the US the most powerful nation in the world, but we feed a lot of the planet. Here at least there is food everywhere, even after the flood. If dieoffs happen it would probably be from heatwaves and too expensive of electricity to cool your home. Medical-related deaths would probably shoot up but your not going to have deaths here in NA in the millions(except maybe Mexico.).

Then I suggest you do a little homework on the mechanism of a die-off.
It is through disease that populations in overshoot die-off.
Sure, some starve, but it is the declining availability of resources that leads to malnurition that opens up the population to disease.
And pandemic diseases know no boundaries and take no prisoners.
Being possibly somewhat well-fed in NA isn't going to protect millions from a pandemic.

Read a little on the Spanish FLu of 1918 or the concern over Bird Flu, SARS, Ebola viruses, etc.
We may be the most powerful nation, but we are also the most dependent nation on oil.
Look to history. The USA took the worse hit in the great Depression because we were so industrilized.
The US will not get a pass on the population correction.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:08:15

eastbay wrote:
socrates1fan wrote:The only dieoff I see in the world due to PO is in 3rd and 2nd world countries.

There are many living in the USA who survive in serious poverty which can only be described as 'third world' conditions. They too will be among the first to go when Our Common Disaster finally hits. The poor everywhere will be the first and worst impacted. It will be fascinating to watch this process unfold, uh... for those fortunate enough to survive the initial crunch.
Note: The term 'second world', no longer applies to any nation. It's anachronistic holding historical interest only. It was primarily (and rarely) used to describe communist Eastern Europe/ USSR. It was used to describe that handful of developed command economies of which there are currently none.

True but if people of the lowest class become hungry enough what would keep them from snatching something at a market or field?
Also this is assuming the US would not have food shelters(or whatever they were called.) like they did during the depression.
But yes, the lower class usually gets hit the hardest.

I declare myself ruler of the world so I shall revive the term 'second world'.
Do not question my power or I will cut off your internet! =0
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:18:15

MonteQuest wrote:
socrates1fan wrote: The only dieoff I see in the world due to PO is in 3rd and 2nd world countries.
Not only is the US the most powerful nation in the world, but we feed a lot of the planet. Here at least there is food everywhere, even after the flood.If dieoffs happen it would probably be from heatwaves and too expensive of electricity to cool your home. Medical-related deaths would probably shoot up but your not going to have deaths here in NA in the millions(except maybe Mexico.).

Then I suggest you do a little homework on the mechanism of a die-off.
It is through disease that populations in overshoot die-off.
Sure, some starve, but it is the declining availability of resources that leads to malnurition that opens up the population to disease.
And pandemic diseases know no boundaries and take no prisoners.
Being possibly somewhat well-fed in NA isn't going to protect millions from a pandemic.
Read a little on the Spanish FLu of 1918 or the concern over Bird Flu, SARS, Ebola viruses, etc.
We may be the most powerful nation, but we are also the most dependent nation on oil.
Look to history. The USA took the worse hit in the great Depression because we were so industrilized.
The US will not get a pass on the population correction

Well of course but I think Americans will adapt.
Many Americans are adapting now.
But yes, people will die but there won't be a cart going around saying "bring out your dead!" .
You will probably have less people being able to afford treatment for things such as diabities or other usually treatable diseases which would probably take a chunk out of the nation's population.
But your not going to have millions of people dead.
Probably quiet a few thousand(maybe even hundreds of thousands and especially the elderly.).
Heck, look at the 18th century. People weren't starving but people died of everyday diseases like the flue or chicken-pox.
Which is funny because the Amish near my grandmother's former home are always so healthy. 0_o
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:24:01

socrates1fan wrote:You will probably have less people being able to afford treatment for things such as diabities or other usually treatable diseases which would probably take a chunk out of the nation's population.

About 23 million US citizens have diabetes, or about 8% of the population.
Millions of people. diabetes
Ludi

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:30:29

Ludi wrote:
socrates1fan wrote:You will probably have less people being able to afford treatment for things such as diabities or other usually treatable diseases which would probably take a chunk out of the nation's population.

About 23 million US citizens have diabetes, or about 8% of the population.
Millions of people. [url=http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-statistics.jsp]diabetes[url]

That's it, diabetes! =D
Hrm I was not aware of this info, I thought it was more around 6 million.. X]
Okay, millions of people could die from lack of diabetes treatment.
But I'm still ruler of the known world.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vetusfirma » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:33:16

eastbay wrote:

Oh really, what about North Korea, Myanmar and Cuba. And the poor of this country, unlike most of the world, are supported by the nation and have been for the last 60 years. Do you think welfare and social security will just stop. pfff
HOLDING THE CENTER
vetusfirma
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:35:55

socrates1fan wrote:Okay, millions of people could die from lack of diabetes treatment.

The US has quite poor health by First World standards.
Ludi

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:47:43

Ludi wrote:
socrates1fan wrote:Okay, millions of people could die from lack of diabetes treatment.

The US has quite poor health by First World standards.

The avaliable health to the rich is the best in the world.
But as for as healthcare for everyday Americans who can't afford to pay x-amount of dollars for a check up it is pathetic for the world power.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Heineken » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 12:52:53

socrates1fan wrote:

The only dieoff I see in the world due to PO is in 3rd and 2nd world countries.
Not only is the US the most powerful nation in the world, but we feed a lot of the planet.

Oh bullfeathers. You have a lot to learn. Start learning.

Welcome to the site.

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mrobert » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 13:09:01

Ok people. Let's be a bit fair.
Since we are on this website, we believe or at least are aware of peakoil.

IF you would have the chance to speak to the world for 20 minutes, and have a guarantee that everyone would get and understand your message, would you tell them about peak oil?

I wouldn't.
From all the people I have told about Peak Oil, about 99% denied it, and 1% accept it simply as a scientific fact, which has no effect on their lives.

Would you imagine the worldwide panic and chaos if this would be told by GW Bush and other trusted sources?
We can't afford that.

We have to slowly spoonfeed this to people.
mrobert
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion