Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

End of the Petroleum Age?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby Graeme » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 21:38:47

How do we know that the Petroleum Age is drawing to a close? Two key indicators tell us that this is so. First, many of the giant fields that have satisfied our massive thirst over so many years are experiencing diminished output. Second, although the major oil producers are spending more money each year to discover new reserves, they are finding less and less oil. Either of these factors by itself is cause for significant worry; the combination is deadly.

Few people understand how reliant we have become on a relatively small number of mammoth fields for the lion’s share of our daily petroleum intake. Though the world possesses tens of thousands of operating fields, a mere 116 of them – each producing more than 100,000 barrels per day – together account for nearly one-half of total global output. Of these, all but a handful were discovered more than a quarter of a century ago, and most are showing signs of diminished capacity. Indeed, some of the world’s largest fields – including Ghawar in Saudi Arabia, Burgan in Kuwait, Cantarell in Mexico, and Samotlor in Russia – appear to be now in decline or about to become so. The decline of these giant fields matters greatly. Compensating for their lost output will take increased yield at thousands of smaller fields, and there is no evidence that this is even remotely possible.

To better gauge the status of the world’s largest fields, the International Energy Agency (IEA), an arm of the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development, is conducting a survey of the top 400 reservoirs. Although the survey is not due to be published until November, early drafts of the report have been leaked in The Wall Street Journal – and the prognosis is not promising. “The world’s premier energy monitor is preparing a sharp downward revision of its oil-supply forecast,” the Journal reported in May, “a shift that reflects deepening pessimism over whether oil companies can keep abreast of booming demand.”

We could live with the decline of these great reservoirs if we had some confidence that new reserves were being discovered all the time to replace all those now reaching the end of their productive life. But this is not the case.

These new discoveries may add one or two million barrels of oil per day to existing output in 2015 and beyond, but by that point output from existing fields is likely to be considerably lower than it is today. Nobody can predict exactly where combined worldwide production will stand at that time. But more and more analysts are coming to the conclusion that the output of conventional (i.e., liquid) petroleum will peak at about 95 million barrels per day in the 2010-2012 time-frame and then begin an irreversible decline. The addition of a few million added barrels from Kashagan or Tupi will not alter this trend.

FPIF
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: End of the Petroleum Age?

Unread postby PeakingAroundtheCorner » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 21:49:21

Holy Shit!

Graeme? Is that you posting this? Jesus Christ! The shit really is hitting the fan!
PeakingAroundtheCorner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby socrates1fan » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 22:20:45

I'm not a doomer
but the era we are going into. Its like a candle in a pitch-black room.
I was raised as a child(I'm not an adult yet.) in the 90's a 'prosperous' era when gas was cheap, there wasn't much war activity, and the economy was good.
Now it all seems to be changing and we are going to have to adapt.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sun 29 Jun 2008, 23:58:44

PeakingAroundtheCorner wrote:Graeme? Is that you posting this?
I think Graeme can be fairly evenhanded looking at all the angles and
offering them up for us to cut down as appropriate.

PeakingAroundtheCorner wrote:Holy crap!

Graeme? Is that you posting this? Jesus Christ! The crap really is hitting the fan!
Regarding your comments this picture did come to mind... Hehehe... :roll:

Graeme wrote:End of the Petroleum Age?
Looks like a good article, thanx. :-D
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 01:22:39

Thanks s_c, Even this article is not beyond criticism. I hope people don't accept the peak oil date of 2010-2012 as gospel! But I think it will be fairly close to that anyway.

Nobody can predict exactly where combined worldwide production will stand at that time [2015].

The IEA report due in November should shed further light on this though.

I will away in Australia for about a week from near the end of next week. I won't be posting during this period.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby steam_cannon » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 08:50:39

Graeme wrote:I will away in Australia for about a week from near the end of next week.
I won't be posting during this period.
Sounds fun! Have a good trip while the jet age limps along a little further!
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mcgowanjm » Mon 30 Jun 2008, 09:09:47

Graeme wrote:End of the Petroleum Age?

These new discoveries may add one or two million barrels of oil per day to existing output in 2015 and beyond, but by that point output from existing fields is likely to be considerably lower than it is today. Nobody can predict exactly where combined worldwide production will stand at that time. But more and more analysts are coming to the conclusion that the output of conventional (i.e., liquid) petroleum will peak at about 95 million barrels per day in the 2010-2012 time-frame and then begin an irreversible decline. The addition of a few million added barrels from Kashagan or Tupi will not alter this trend.

FPIF

"...Will it be the Solar Age or the Biofuels Age or the Hydrogen Age? But we do know that it will revolve around some constellation of renewable, climate-friendly, domestically-produced supplies. From now on, America’s top priority in the energy field must be to explore all potential components of this new energy future and move swiftly to develop those with the greatest promise.

Solar can only work with photosynthesis. EROEI
on "Arrays" is cost prohibitive and does not exceed
3% of current oil usage.

Biofuels. Well THE Major Crop Report comes out today.

Guardian

Let's see:

" Soybean prices also rose in CBOT July climbing 15-1/2 cents to a contract high of $15.97 a bushel.
Dealers said Monday's report was unlikely to reflect the full extent of the damage which is only likely to become clear in an August USDA report and farmer surveys during July.
"The main point will concern the sowings and how the market will interpret the fact that the report will not take into account the heaviest June rains," one European trader said.
Wheat prices were also higher with CBOT July up 3 cents at $8.98-1/2 a bushel while November milling wheat in Paris rose 1.25 euros to 210.50 euros a tonne.
"The European market is on alert but cautious," one European trader said, stressing that in the run-up to harvesting in Europe there were worries over the potential for crop diseases."

Bottom Line: We have no grain stockpile. Famine
stalks the planet, including the US.

Hydrogen is an energy carrier. Period.

Collapse is the solution.
mcgowanjm
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion