Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Fortis Thread (merged)

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

THE Fortis Thread (merged)

Unread postby lorenzo » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 09:39:39

The boss of the world's 20th largest company and one of the biggest banks on the planet - Fortis - says there will soon be a "total meltdown" of the financial markets, starting in the U.S. According to Chairman Maurice Lippens, we haven't seen anything yet. 6000 banks in the U.S. are at risk of going bankrupt. The situation is far worse than Fortis expected.

Lippens explicitly uses the meltdown metaphor, to stress that this will not be a gradual decline or a continuation of the current "crisis", but an explosive and uncontainable crash. Fortis stock has lost 68% of its value over the past year. Last week, on Thursday, it crashed and lost 19% in one hours time after a capital injection it said was needed to counter the predicted crash.
American ‘meltdown’ reason for money injection Fortis.
28th of June, 9:10
BRUSSELS/AMSTERDAM - Fortis expects a complete collapse of the US financial markets within a few days to weeks. That explains, according to Fortis, the series of interventions of last Thursday to retrieve € 8 billion. “We have been saved just in time. The situation in the US is much worse than we thought”, says Fortis chairman Maurice Lippens. Fortis expects bankruptcies amongst 6000 American banks which have a small coverage currently. But also Citigroup, General Motors, there is starting a complete meltdown in the US”

Doomcast sources: link and link

On a side note: interestingly, the bank, one of Europe's largest, sees crude averaging 125.70 this year, 171.50 next year and 224.90 in 2010.

Fortis: crash en bourse apres l'annonce d'une augmentation de capital link
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Fortis chairman predicts total financial meltdown in wee

Unread postby catbox » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:10:47

CNN ran a story about Fortis on the 26th that stated: Fortis "anticipates a continued challenging market environment." now it's "financial meltdown". This might have something to it!
Off to work......while it's still there!
catbox
Punk is not really a style of music. It was more like a state of mind.
-Mike Watt
catbox
Coal
Coal

Location: I heard we are not the real America..Eugene, Oregon.

Unread postby Leanan » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:20:23

Wow. That OpEdNews guy stole my blog entry word for word, without a link back or anything.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby HEADER_RACK » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:21:36

Best news I've heard all day
Nothing is more dangerous than a man with nothing left to lose but has everything left to gain.
HEADER_RACK
Coal
Coal

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:24:46

“But also Citigroup, General Motors, there is starting a complete meltdown in the US”

C'mon guys, what was this written by a 10 year old geez. 8O :-D
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Leanan » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:33:35

TheAntiDoomer wrote:C'mon guys, what was this written by a 10 year old geez.

It was written in Dutch, and translated to English. Probably by software like Babelfish or something similar.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:33:43

TheAntiDoomer wrote:“But also Citigroup, General Motors, there is starting a complete meltdown in the US” C'mon guys, what was this written by a 10 year old geez.

No, but the text I quoted here was. One does not become chairperson of the world's 20th largest company by acting like a 10-year-old boy.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:35:32

No, but the text I quoted here was.

You are a pretty clever fella :wink: What do they pay down at the chicken shack?
Last edited by TheAntiDoomer on Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:37:08, edited 1 time in total.
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:36:38

Very well at the moment.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 10:36:56

Jotapay wrote:
TheAntiDoomer wrote:“But also Citigroup, General Motors, there is starting a complete meltdown in the US.” C'mon guys, what was this written by a 10 year old geez.
No, but the text I quoted here was. One does not become chairperson of the world's 20th largest company by acting like a 10-year-old boy.

or put out "alarmist" statements with out good cause. Seems OF2's cousin has started posting.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 11:19:47

it's not a meltdown, it's a ... Crash-Ette
"For many money managers, a new month and (especially) a new quarter is a time to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. But July 1 only brought an acceleration of the prior trend; namely, falling stock prices as a steep selloff in Europe triggered another wave of selling in the U.S. early Tuesday. (Stocks did bounce from their early lows, however, after the ISM report showed manufacturing unexpectedly expanded in June.)

The current phase of the downturn is nearing its conclusion, but that makes the market vulnerable to a "crash-ette," says Scott Bleier, president of HybridInvestors.com, who notes the last throes of a bear market are often most painful"

the calm before the storm
the crashette after (during, or before) the crash
no shortage of Rhetoric Re-packaging Recession.
http://www.LASIK-Flap.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby socrates1fan » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 12:11:01

U ppl and your predictions. its eerie. Someone on here predicted that the financial market would go down like a rollercoaster this summer. Predict I get a million dollars! =D I'll have something to burn for fuel.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Zardoz » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 12:42:43

socrates1fan wrote:U ppl and your predictions.
its eerie. Someone on here predicted that the financial market would go down like a rollercoaster this summer.

Last day of summer is September 22 and you're already writing off the prediction? Please explain.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lorenzo » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 12:59:59

pedalling_faster wrote:it's not a meltdown, it's a ... Crash-Ette.

Franglais is definitivelyment my favorite language.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby NoWorries » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 13:23:18

pedalling_faster wrote:it's not a meltdown, it's a ... Crash-Ette
"For many money managers, a new month and (especially) a new quarter is a time to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. But July 1 only brought an acceleration of the prior trend; namely, falling stock prices as a steep selloff in Europe triggered another wave of selling in the U.S. early Tuesday. (Stocks did bounce from their early lows, however, after the ISM report showed manufacturing unexpectedly expanded in June.)
The current phase of the downturn is nearing its conclusion, but that makes the market vulnerable to a "crash-ette," says Scott Bleier, president of HybridInvestors.com, who notes the last throes of a bear market are often most painful"
the calm before the storm
the crashette after (during, or before) the crash
no shortage of Rhetoric Re-packaging Recession.

That's actually optimistic news in that item. He's saying we're in the "last throes" (final stages) of the current bear market. Last throes means the bear market is about to end.
NoWorries
Peat
Peat

Unread postby burtonridr » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 13:26:47

Just the fact that a guy that high up and someone that has that much vested interest in the good of the community would say something like that freaks me out. People that own businesses of that scale usually dont forecast doom, its bad for business, its bad for him.
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby socrates1fan » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 14:21:20

Zardoz wrote:
socrates1fan wrote:U ppl and your predictions. its eerie. Someone on here predicted that the financial market would go down like a rollercoaster this summer.
Last day of summer is September 22 and you're already writing off the prediction? Please explain.

I wasn't. 0_o Hrm.. my post does seem sarcastic doesn't it?
It could or couldn't happen but I'm more likely to believe that my car is going to fall off a cliff if I'm driving towards the edge than believe my car is going to magically gain wings.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby socrates1fan » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 14:22:28

burtonridr wrote:Just the fact that a guy that high up and someone that has that much vested interest in the good of the community would say something like that freaks me out. People that own businesses of that scale usually dont forecast doom, its bad for business, its bad for him.

I should probably start counting the value of my change by its value in metal.
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mmasters » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 15:50:48

Possible but not likely. I'm sure we will have a diversion soon where all kinds of underhanded tinkering in the market will happen.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Economics & Finance