Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

There is no upside in the politicans coming clean with PO.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

There is no upside in the politicans coming clean with PO.

Unread postby allenwrench » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 11:09:06

When I question media / politicians about why they hide their head in the sand when it comes to PO most have no reply. It seems they think there is 'no upside' in this topic of peak oil since it can't be fixed.

The upside is in the preparation and a more manageable and orderly transition...less deaths. Then again, maybe the governments upside is in the deaths and having less mouths to have to feed?
allenwrench
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: There is no upside in the politicans coming clean with P

Unread postby NeoPeasant » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 11:36:09

Economic qrowth and full employment are seen as unquestioned, unqualified goods. Conservation is the enemy of economic growth.
Preaching conservation is going to make enemies of job seeking voters and profit seeking corporate contributors.
A politician cannot win by preaching conservation. Just ask Jimmy Carter.
The battle to preserve our lifestyle has already been lost. The battle to preserve our lives is just beginning.
NeoPeasant
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FoolYap » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 17:37:46

I think your question supposes that most of them are aware of Peak Oil (probably true as of this year) and believe it is real.

Even if they believe it is real, their responses to that are as varied as we see anywhere else.

1. Thanks to [insert one of: Engineers, The Market, God], a miracle will occur just in the nick of time.

2. Thanks to [insert one of: Solar Power, The Market, Conservation], we will gradually and painlessly transition to the New Order.

3. I'm old, glad I don't have to worry about it.

4. I'm rich, glad I don't have to worry about it.

5. I'm worried, and I'm talking about it, but everyone looks at me like I was from Mars.

6. It's an election year, I'll worry about it later.

7. It's just to painful to think about, so I don't.

etc etc etc.

There's too much disagreement generally over how to respond to this, and in what time-frame, so why should we expect "the politicians", as a group, to agree on a response?

Personally, to the extent that people can respond to it meaningfully, I think current fuels prices are an "encouraging" thing. :razz:

--Steve
FoolYap
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Tue 01 Jul 2008, 17:41:20

NeoPeasant wrote:A politician cannot win by preaching conservation. Just ask Jimmy Carter.

:lol:

One could also ask Al Gore .........
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Return to Peak Oil Discussion