Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

BERR Report on "Fossil Fuel Price Assumptions" (UK

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

BERR Report on "Fossil Fuel Price Assumptions" (UK

Unread postby jake » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 01:19:43

Here is the UK Government's May 2008 assumptions on fossil fuel prices:
http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file46071.pdf

Here is my open letter to them (they solicit responses to [email protected] ):

Dear Sir/Madam,

As a UK citizen and business owner I am extremely pleased to see a 'High-high' price scenario in your new predictions, particularly on the price of oil which is of most concern to me. However, you completely fail to appreciate and comprehend 'peak oil'.

Your worst-case 'high-high' scenario is based upon: " ...strong oil demand, a lack of investment and a fast decline in spare capacity is assumed to drive prices upwards until the point of demand destruction—when alternative energy sources become competitive and oil consumption declines. The oil price is then assumed to remain around this point in the long-term. "

My problems with this are as follows:

1. You mention 'a fast decline in spare capacity' but you do not suggest that global oil production/extraction may peak and then fall regardless of the level of investment. Many countries - UK included - have already reached peak production, and it is impossible to increase our production again to above the peak regardless of the level of investment made. This is for predominately geological and physical rather than economic or political reasons. Yes, masses of oil is there, but the extraction rate cannot be increased, no matter how big a straw is used.

2. You also suggest that 'alternative energy sources become competitive' however you make no mention of why/when/at what price they become competitive or the lead-time in bringing them to market. You give no indication of the possibility that alternative energy sources will not be sufficient to fully replace oil supply decreases.

3. You close with 'oil price is then assumed to remain around this point in the long-term'. Again, you fail to appreciate that oil production may be in rapid decline at this point (or even any level of decline) and that as a result the price will go up rather than stay steady in the long term. It even appears as though - but I must be misreading - that you're assuming that the world is flat and oil is in limitless supply at the correct price. If this is the basis for your claim, then it is impertinent that you understand that our world is round and limited, and our supply of oil finite and already approximately half gone.

I ask that you thoroughly review the assumptions used in your report as they are currently being used to misguide government agencies and businesses such as mine into assuming that energy prices are going to be far, far cheaper than the eventuality that I predict. The extreme danger of doing this cannot be underestimated.

I suggest that you either revise all your prices upwards by quite a jump, or that you include a 'high-high-high' and 'high-high-high-high' predictions, and state that these are based upon an appreciation of 'peak oil' theory.

Yours,

Jake Gordon
07791 068 122
Contact me at http://www.jakeg.co.uk/contact/
Read my peak oil dissertation at http://www.jakeg.co.uk/dissertation/
jake
Peat
Peat

Re: BERR Report on "Fossil Fuel Price Assumptions"

Unread postby Ayame » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 02:39:19

Please let us know of any response you get. It will be interesting to see if they sprout the usual bs reply.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby forbin » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 09:53:14

Ayame wrote:Please let us know of any response you get. It will be interesting to see if they sprout the usual bs reply.

Hmm, I agree ,but GB is on that mantra " the free market will provide!" , so nowt will happen and the oil dwindles away

apart from the breif run to coal ofcourse .

yeah , lets have a laff at their reply - if any ;)

Forbin
forbin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby untothislast » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 12:58:14

$150/bbl by . . . 2020?

Who've they got working on the forecasts, Nostradumb-ass?
untothislast
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models