Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The future ain't what it used to be...

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

The future ain't what it used to be...

Unread postby Nickel » Fri 04 Jul 2008, 20:45:41

Canada will join U.S. by 2010, futurists say
(Toronto Star, July 23, 1992)

WASHINGTON (CP) - Quebec will separate from Canada in 1996 and the other provinces will join the United States by the year 2010, predicts the U.S. World Future Society.

"There are no longer any economic reasons to force Quebec to stay in Canada," write group members Marvin Cetron and Owen Davies in a book called Crystal Globe, which makes sweeping predictions about the world's future.

In a chapter titled "55 United States and Quebec," the Washington-based non-profit research group forecasts that after Quebec leaves Canada in 1996, the four Atlantic provinces will join the U.S. as a single state.

Later, the authors say, Ontario will be admitted to the U.S. as a state and the Western provinces, which will have more in common with their southern neighbors, will form two more states.

The book also predicts Cuban leader Fidel Castro will join the Western powers, Israel will give up the occupied territories to make peace in the Middle East and Japanese economic might will decline rapidly.

The concept of a bilingual, bi-cultural Canada will fall apart, the authors predict, because English Canada is not prepared to five Quebec any more powers, he collapse of the Meech Lake constitutional accord in 1990 is cited as a case in point.

Giving Quebec a veto over the rest of Canada is "a privilege that 20 million Canadians are not ready to give."

Redrawing the country into four or five semi-autonomous zones isn't expected either, the group says, because Quebec and Ontario would dominate and that would be opposed by the West and the Atlantic provinces.

An independent Quebec would be as affluent and populous as Switzerland, and three times as large, the book points out. And the new country would have no problem negotiating a free trade deal of its own with the United States.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The future ain't what it used to be...

Unread postby hironegro » Sat 05 Jul 2008, 04:19:02

I have always wondered why america never anexed canada.
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Unread postby nero » Sat 05 Jul 2008, 05:03:09

The United States didn't annex Canada because it was under the protection of the world super power in the 19th century (it was a loyal part of the British empire) By the time the US was in a position to potentially make a grab for Canada they were mostly over their expansionist tendencies. It didn't hurt that by then Canada and the US were best bud trading partners. Now adays the United States wouldn't want to annex Canada because it would permanently alter the political balance of the United States by adding about a dozen senators to the left of Massachussetts.
Biofuels: The "What else we got to burn?" answer to peak oil.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 05 Jul 2008, 06:12:22

hironegro wrote:I have always wondered why america never anexed canada.

Like they could just wave their hands and it would happen?
mos6507

Unread postby PonyBoy78 » Sat 05 Jul 2008, 10:00:14

Fine by me.. but make them full states. I want to see how the electoral vote balance shifts around. :P
PonyBoy78
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sat 05 Jul 2008, 10:32:19

From the very beginning, Canada has had an open invitation to join the US. In fact, it predates the formation of the US Constitution. Benedict Arnold invaded Canada as part of the American Revolution. Canadians proved to be too sane to join a campaign of independence from the worlds greatest superpower; Great Britain. Back then, the US didn't annex Canada because they didn't have the military resources, it was that simple.

Today, Canada and the US are each other's biggest trading partners. There was a tradition, which was broken by GWB, of the newly elected president making his first trip to Canada. Perhaps the next US president will restore this tradition. I don't think there is any incentive for Canada to join the US, in fact, I don't think there is any incentive for any country to join the US as a state. They can get the same benifits simply by signing treaties with the US.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hironegro » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 01:06:25

mos6507 wrote:

Like they could just wave their hands and it would happen?

Do you like have some issue against me? Annexing something isn't magical process, and country can annex another country through variety of different means.
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 02:11:06

hironegro wrote:Annexing something isn't magical process, and country can annex another country through variety of different means.

You make it sound like the US just casually decides to annex a country like it's ordering dinner from a menu, like the other country has no say in the matter.
mos6507

Unread postby hironegro » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 03:35:31

mos6507 wrote:
hironegro wrote:Annexing something isn't magical process, and country can annex another country through variety of different means.

You make it sound like the US just casually decides to annex a country like it's ordering dinner from a menu, like the other country has no say in the matter.

Sorry ass hole I’ll put attempt in next time.

Outside of taking apart in a couple keynote victories in WW I&II what has Canada done militarily that would deter American infantry?
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 09:04:32

Well, it's like everyone said. Previously, throughout most of the 19th century, the US really didn't have the military wherewithal. Once it did, there was something a little humiliating about the idea of forcing someone in the nation. Pride made folks in the States want other people to WANT to join the US. Canadians, by and large, didn't, so that was that.

Canada, for the most part, was made up of two groups -- descendants of the French settlers, who had little love for Anglos of either sort but at least knew their rights were secured in British North America -- and the English Canadians who were largely descended from Loyalists who left the US. The fact that most of the "Loyalists" were "late Loyalists" who left for the free land grants was forgotten over time. Most of the people living in English Canada at the outset of the War of 1812 didn't care who ran the place; London or Washington. But when Hull invaded and circulated an edict that more or less denied the Canadians the right to defend their homes (as doing so made them allies with the "savages", and promised any such person the same treatment), he effectively killed off any hope the US had of simply showing up and becoming the new government. It turned English Canadians against the US, and the sentiment stuck, even if today no one really remembers why.

These days, there are big differences across the border on a number of social issues; abortion, gun control, same-sex marriage, soft drugs, capital punishment, socialized medicine, foreign policy, military aggressiveness... I honestly can't remember a time in my life when we felt more at odds with the US on a day-to-day basis. I think we've never been more relieved that the border exists. Frankly, far from us joining the US, I honestly believe there are several states in the north that would do well to leave the US and join Canada... it would suit their temperament better than the existing union with the attitudes of the US south.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby burtonridr » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 12:45:47

hironegro wrote:Do you like have some issue against me?

It must be the avatar :lol:
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 13:06:32

hironegro wrote:Outside of taking apart in a couple keynote victories in WW I&II what has Canada done militarily that would deter American infantry?

What kind of simplistic view of world affairs do you have to think that the US would just automatically invade any neighboring country that has a weak military?

You are just so baffled that the US wouldn't live up to your imperial preconceptions and stomp on its neighbors?

It's like walking up to someone and saying "Gee, why is it you haven't beaten your wife lately? It looks like you could take her."
mos6507

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 13:09:45

mos6507 wrote:You are just so baffled that the US wouldn't live up to your imperial preconceptions and stomp on its neighbors?

It's like walking up to someone and saying "Gee, why is it you haven't beaten your wife lately? It looks like you could take her."

It's very true. Western countries don't beat their wives (littermates, whatever). Poor, dark-complected countries that don't speak languages related to Latin or German, welllllll... :cry:
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mobil1 » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 15:03:33

Annexing / "Manifest destiny" of Canada by US has been a concern forever, and will always be a concern. If it ever happens politically the concern then shifts to a federal versus state powers concern.

Economically, in many areas, Canada has already been annexed by US and other foreign powers. We sometimes try to maintain foreign ownership limits and have other protectionist measures, but much of our resources have been, or are in the process of being bought.

At least we'll get many of the jobs and each province gets their royalty rates...

And NAFTA gives US some special treatments that limit our ability to withhold exports.

When Canadian dollar was bottoming at 62.5 cents US about 8 years ago when oil and gold and other commods were bottoming, there were greater calls for Dollar Unity with the US.

Since the US and Canuck bucks are now almost at parity, there is no support for economic union with the US.

Quebec has occasionally played with the idea of a seperate currency or even adopting US currency. Lately though Quebec seperatists talk of economic union with Canada and a shared Canadian dollar (with little mention of adopting our current small debt.)

I'm suspecting that the US and Canuck buck are somewhat loosely tied by the Bank of Canada. I think they don't want to see the Canadian dollar go much higher versus the US. That could cause the Canadian $ to tank with the US, if the US $ tanks.
mobil1
Peat
Peat

Unread postby bodigami » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 02:21:27

hironegro wrote:
mos6507 wrote:

Sorry ass hole I’ll put attempt in next time.

Outside of taking apart in a couple keynote victories in WW I&II what has Canada done militarily that would deter American infantry?

Imperialist pawn, you're getting it wrong. What you're proposing is conquest not anexation.

Guanacaste's population voting and deciding to be anexated to Costa Rica some time ago, is an example of anexation.

It's lame and pathetic when the only "friends" you have are because you're threating them with a gun in their head so that you 2 are "best buddies". :lol: :lol: :lol:
bodigami
Permanently Banned

Unread postby TheDude » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 08:07:49

Nickel wrote:Frankly, far from us joining the US, I honestly believe there are several states in the north that would do well to leave the US and join Canada... it would suit their temperament better than the existing union with the attitudes of the US south.

We had a thread on a book called The Untied States of America (sic, it's "Untied") which covers various secessionist trends/tendencies currently at work in NA.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hironegro » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 17:53:42

mos6507 wrote:
hironegro wrote:Outside of taking apart in a couple keynote victories in WW I&II what has Canada done militarily that would deter American infantry?

What kind of simplistic view of world affairs do you have to think that the US would just automatically invade any neighboring country that has a weak military?

You are just so baffled that the US wouldn't live up to your imperial preconceptions and stomp on its neighbors?

Yes it's not like we invaded and annexed all of or parts Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii.

you're a shitty troll
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 21:07:33

hironegro wrote:Yes it's not like we invaded and annexed all of or parts Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii.

It's not a black and white issue.

Why do you have this knee-jerk attitude that the US intends to annex the rest of the world? Why didn't we take over Panama or Grenada or Japan and Germany? Why didn't we take over Iraq in 1991? Why did we give back the Philippines? I mean we're EVIL right? It just eats you up to think that we haven't yet kicked Canada's ass, because it makes it harder to justify your rigid one-sided black-and-white negative image of the country you live in.

hironegro wrote:you're a shitty troll

So ignore me already. Also, maybe you should logoff some more so you can spend more quality time throwing darts at a US map.
mos6507

Unread postby threadbear » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 21:16:55

mos6507 wrote:
So ignore me already. Also, maybe you should logoff some more so you can spend more quality time throwing darts at a US map.

He'd have to endure a long line up for that one.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby socrates1fan » Tue 08 Jul 2008, 21:37:33

Nickel wrote:

Well, it's like everyone said. Previously, throughout most of the 19th century, the US really didn't have the military wherewithal. Once it did, there was something a little humiliating about the idea of forcing someone in the nation. Pride made folks in the States want other people to WANT to join the US. Canadians, by and large, didn't, so that was that.

Canada, for the most part, was made up of two groups -- descendants of the French settlers, who had little love for Anglos of either sort but at least knew their rights were secured in British North America -- and the English Canadians who were largely descended from Loyalists who left the US. The fact that most of the "Loyalists" were "late Loyalists" who left for the free land grants was forgotten over time. Most of the people living in English Canada at the outset of the War of 1812 didn't care who ran the place; London or Washington. But when Hull invaded and circulated an edict that more or less denied the Canadians the right to defend their homes (as doing so made them allies with the "savages", and promised any such person the same treatment), he effectively killed off any hope the US had of simply showing up and becoming the new government. It turned English Canadians against the US, and the sentiment stuck, even if today no one really remembers why.

These days, there are big differences across the border on a number of social issues; abortion, gun control, same-sex marriage, soft drugs, capital punishment, socialized medicine, foreign policy, military aggressiveness... I honestly can't remember a time in my life when we felt more at odds with the US on a day-to-day basis. I think we've never been more relieved that the border exists. Frankly, far from us joining the US, I honestly believe there are several states in the north that would do well to leave the US and join Canada... it would suit their temperament better than the existing union with the attitudes of the US south.

I'm cool with the Canadians taking the great lake region.
We were part of Quebec at one point! Vincennes still has a lot of French flavor and it was one of the few French towns in the midwest that wasn't abandoned because of the English.
If it means I have a national border between me and the south I'm all for it. Ha-ha
socrates1fan
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to North America Discussion