Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What happens in America, stays in America?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

What happens in America, stays in America?

Unread postby pumpjack » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 16:18:55

Is it true that all oil produced in America goes on the international market and is sold to the American consumer at prices set by OPEC?

If it's true that all oil goes into one big collective international pot, it would seem that Democrats are right -- maybe more U.S. drilling wouldn't lower the price of gasoline at the pump?
pumpjack
Wood
Wood

Re: What happens in America, stays in America?

Unread postby Bas » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 16:32:25

The prices are set at the world market, not by Opec. But America gives away it's oil at huge discounts to the big oil companies.
Bas

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 16:40:47

Bas wrote:But America gives away it's oil at huge discounts to the big oil companies.

We do? Please provide a couple of links for my viewing please.

Thanks;

TF
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pumpjack » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 16:50:28

Bas wrote:The prices are set at the world market, not by Opec. But America gives away it's oil at huge discounts to the big oil companies.

... but, but, big oil companies and independent co-ops are the ones that are doing the drilling.
pumpjack
Wood
Wood

Unread postby aldente » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 17:19:04

pumpjack wrote:Is it true that all oil produced in America goes on the international market and is sold to the American consumer at prices set by OPEC?

"Wocka Wocka Wocka"

Ever since the First Oil Crisis, the US lost the privilege of oil independence. So welcome to the party, no matter if you're a bit of a latecommer.

aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 18:26:34

pumpjack wrote:Is it true that all oil produced in America goes on the international market and is sold to the American consumer at prices set by OPEC?

If it's true that all oil goes into one big collective international pot, it would seem that Democrats are right -- maybe more U.S. drilling wouldn't lower the price of gasoline at the pump?

The prices are not set by OPEC. They are set by The Market.

More supply would mean lower prices.

:razz:
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby emailking » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 22:57:54

The market does not "set" the price of oil. The sellers of the oil set the price. OPEC sets the price of the oil it produces and sells. OPEC has to set its prices accordingly if it wants to both sell its oil and avoid shortages. The "market" is just what all this amounts to.
emailking
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Peepers » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 23:45:11

pumpjack wrote:... but, but, big oil companies and independent co-ops are the ones that are doing the drilling.

Stockholder-owned oil companies like ExxonMobil, BP, Shell, Chevron, Kerr-McGree, Haliburton and others own and/or drill just one-fourth of the world's oil reserves. The rest are owned and drilled by state-run oil companies. But their exports still must be sold on the world market. If there are more buyers than sellers of the oil the price goes up. Shortages also occur -- as is happening in much of the Third World which can't afford to buy as much oil at these rising market prices.
Peepers
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby emailking » Sun 06 Jul 2008, 23:52:30

pstarr wrote:I am not a 'proponent' of the market but products ARE sold to bidders by sellers and this relationship could be defined as a market. If the prices set by OPEC are too high then people conserve and the price goes down.

I think the market is a fair description of this dynamic. Don't you?

Yes I would agree with that. But if the claim is that the prices are not set by OPEC and are set by the "market" instead, well that's just wrong. OPEC sets the prices for their own oil.
emailking
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kingcoal » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 10:16:38

Oil is priced as high as someone is willing to pay - just like most things in a free market. I don't think that the house that sold accross the street was worth what it sold for, I wouldn't have paid that much, but someone else did. In the words of a realtor I argued with one time; "it's worth exactly how much someone is willing to pay." When demand matches or exceeds supply, the price goes up expotentially. If oil goes out of style tommorow, the price will plumet. The reason why fresh water is much cheaper is because where I live, supply far exceeds demand. Simple economics.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 11:51:44

The only way drilling American fields will noticably lower prices is if we nationalize the industry.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 12:12:18

Specop_007 wrote:The only way drilling American fields will noticably lower prices is if we nationalize the industry.

Get the ration cards out... :)
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby burtonridr » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 12:18:57

Specop_007 wrote:The only way drilling American fields will noticably lower prices is if we nationalize the industry.

+1

I wouldnt mind oil rationing, I think it would be just what we need to curb our outlandish demand....
Tired of high gas prices? [smilie=BangHead.gif] Then stop driving to work, duh..... Learn to Work from home

Peak Oil Blog = http://getroasted.wordpress.com
burtonridr
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby cat » Mon 07 Jul 2008, 13:29:09

But America gives away it's oil at huge discounts to the big oil companies.

Is this due to tax breaks and land give aways or are they subsidized in other ways as well?
cat
Peat
Peat

Return to North America Discussion